Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 PM

7 posts, read 16,416 times

Advertisements

I posted a question similar to this on another thread but no one responded so I thought I'd start my own thread on the subject. Clearly there are a lot of fakes out there when it comes to psychics and professionals who deal with spiritual matters. Anyone can hang out a shingle and claim to be psychic, and there are lots of people who are "people-persons" and who understand enough about human psychology to fake a psychic reading. I.e., draw out enough info about a person's hopes and fears and then respond in a reassuring way. That's all good and well but if I wanted a therapist, I would go to one. What I want to know is how to find the professionals out there who really are gifted in the spiritual arts (for lack of a better word).

I once knew a woman who was part of the Hispanic community down in Miami, and she said it wasn't hard at all for them to find a "real" psychic or spiritualist, because all they had to do was find someone who practiced Santeria. The Santeria practitioner generally didn't charge much at all and was very accurate with her predictions. For folks who come from cultures where traditional religions like Santeria are still practiced it is probably not so hard to find someone with these gifts. But for your average American, this probably isn't the case. So how does one go about finding someone like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:32 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Word of mouth is best. Also, in most communities there are New Age publications, many of which are free and distributed at health food stores or at the offices of holistic practitioners.

New age shops sometimes have a reader or resident psychic who comes in once or twice a week.

Finding a good one can be hard but it can be done.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Indeed word of mouth. And everything else said above. Check out a new age spirituality faire if any come your way.
You can also check out one of many online radio shows that are hosted by a psychic and just listen to them for a while. There are quite a few of them to check out and it is not hard to see who are the bozos and who is genuine.

What sort of reading are you looking for? True psychics know thier different strengths, and depending on what you are seeking, one kind of reader would be better than another.

Also- any reader that tells you that you are cursed- run!
A genuine psychic does not mind answering honorable questions about thier ability and process. A fake will likely get irritated with the probing.
When I say honorable questions, I don't mean like asking them what you are thinking, what is your birthday.
(which I doubt you would) that is testing them and it is insulting because it shows that the tester is not serious and is just wasting the psychics time.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Why would you want to find a psychic anyway? Everything is in your energy field so really you are allowing other access to your 'book of life'. Do you really want that, just to be told stuff which makes you feel good?

Old 06-18-2012, 06:05 PM

7 posts, read 16,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Why would you want to find a psychic anyway? Everything is in your energy field so really you are allowing other access to your 'book of life'. Do you really want that, just to be told stuff which makes you feel good?
I don't want to be told stuff that makes me feel good. I want to be told the truth. If there is a way to discern these things on my own, I would like to learn them. Explain to me what you mean by my energy field and book of life.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:40 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
The OP wants to find a psychic. Sometimes people are in need of clarification. An intuitive person, a psychic may be of help.

I would agree with OwlKaMist, there are extortionists out there.

I would stay away from the following -

1. A "side of the road" or "store front reader"

2. when neon is involved.

3. If someone hands you a flyer in the street.

4. If the person promises to "reunite loved ones"

5. If the say any thing crazy or over the top such as "Madame Periwinkle has gifts like no other! She is never wrong! Do not be deceived by others!" blah blah blah...

I do readings occasionally and it's mostly word of mouth. I am sometimes at psychic fairs or New Age fairs or restaurants.

I am also a "consumer of psychic services." Ask the universe to send you someone good.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Most real psychics and spiritualists will be people you meet in your day-to-day life, that you just get a feeling about, that regularly give you a heads up about various things and end up being right most of the time.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
You might check with a local, legit, paranormal investigative agency. They typically have a few 'sensitives' involved in their investigations.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Silvia Brown and her son.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Silvia Brown and her son.
Yeah....right.....
Not many people can blow over $700 for a 60 minute session.
She is a little to full of herself for me.
Her super long fingernails, that's a 'style' that represents not needing to do anything domestic. She probably even has people button her shirts for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal