Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:23 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times

Advertisements

Loud crash at 3 a.m.? It may be your exploding head - The Body Odd

There's the link that explains it more. At first I thought it was paranormal, since I get that kind of stuff, too. But recently I have been tracking it and discovered that, indeed, it does occur either within an hour or so of falling asleep or waking up (I'm a night owl).

I "hear" things like the phone ring -- for years I thought it was just an electrical circuit thing -- then one day I realized I had actually unplugged the phone and still heard it.

Then the Slamming Doors -- oh, my gosh, I have had those for years. But I actually thought they were mini strokes (I really did), and every time I'd hear a door SLAM! I thought it was a blood vessel bursting (a stroke), but I was lucky to survive.

Now, I don't tell doctors about my paranormal stuff -- as many of you probably already know, that's not a good thing to tell a doctor that you "hear," "see," and "feel" things because suddenly you are schizophrenic. Being a trained therapist, I know better than to do that!

Anyway, I was diagnosed with a sleep disorder about four years ago and now have sleep apparatus at night. I STILL get the Exploding Head Syndrome, but this time I actually told my doctor once I heard the last one.

This last one was a crystal glass that was dropped from above onto a marble floor and I could so clearly hear every single shard bounce along the floor like a ripple on a pond. It was pretty cool in a way.

My pulmonologist said I am only the 2nd case he has seen in 20 years of practice, so I now report to him on a regular basis when I have these.

I have no clue if it's tied into psychic abilities or not, meaning that maybe those who have the syndrome might just be more sensitive. It may well just be a physiological thing for some people. But it IS weird. And sometimes you DO wake up in a panic with your heart racing as if it's a panic attack - only you are hearing these very distinct LOUD and CLEAR sounds. Now that I'm tracking it, it very well could just be a sleep disorder thing, but it's also similar to paranormal stuff.

I was just curious about it, as I have had it for years but only recently discovered it had a name and what it was. Oddly, I have gotten used to the doors slamming, and now the phones (since I discovered they were disconnected when I heard them), but the crystal glass was the one that really got to me (in a good way -- wish I could induce it again!) -- it was so clear that I am sure there is no technology yet that could make something sound that distinct -- it did seem otherworldly, however, I know our brains are pretty amazing things, too.

Thanks!
Wisteria

Last edited by Wisteria; 07-19-2012 at 01:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
That's interesting... but it sounds like a cop-out medical label for something that can't otherwise be easily explained.

Once I was home alone on a Saturday afternoon playing Xbox (wide awake) when I heard a HUGE crash from from the other side of the house, literaly like someone had pushed over a large shelf full of china in one of the bedrooms (though we don't have anything like that in our house)... it was that loud! I rushed over but could find no source for the sound...and I looked for quite a while. I even went into the attic and crawlspace as well as outside but found nothing.

It's one of the many weird things that have happened at my "haunted house" over the 6 years we've been there. I would LOVE to see a doc, get a prescription and have it all go away, but I don't think the cause is quite that simple...

Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
This EHS is at night only (or maybe not from what you just described). I get those other paranormal things at other times, but this is specifically a night thing. I get clusters of it. And it's also different than night visitations or things like that, too -- it's specifically a sound thing. And it does seem to come in clusters, and the sounds do change. I'm not sure what to make of it. And there is no medication for it, either. You just learn that you survive it and although it's sometimes shockingly frightening because of the intensity of sound and it seemingly comes out of no where, it doesn't seem to do anything harmful. Very strange stuff.

I can't attribute everything to haunted houses or the paranormal, but was just curious if anyone else shared this syndrome?

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:24 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
I've been awakened by loud "gunshot" sounds off and on for years, no biggie.

What freaks me out is the sound of a car door slamming. This happens at all hours. I know it's not the neighbors, they live about 1/2 mile away.

EHS, ghost vehicle? Beats me!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Hi Pamela,

So, you might have that, too. I am very high-strung, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I was just curious because when I've tried to describe it to people they look at me like I'm nuts. Like I said, I've oddly gotten used to the slamming doors - lol.

If I didn't get the racing heart and panic attack with it many times, I'd feel much better about it. I don't know if I did with the crystal glass, which may be why I kind of "liked" it.

I just thought it was interesting and it certainly fits into the "Unexplained" category!

Wisteria

Old 07-19-2012, 11:38 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
How....odd....interesting. Never had anything like that really. There have been noises with no known source, not even paranormal. But not like you describe. Does not sound like much fun.
Wonder if meditation would help.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi Pamela,

So, you might have that, too. I am very high-strung, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I was just curious because when I've tried to describe it to people they look at me like I'm nuts. Like I said, I've oddly gotten used to the slamming doors - lol.

If I didn't get the racing heart and panic attack with it many times, I'd feel much better about it. I don't know if I did with the crystal glass, which may be why I kind of "liked" it.

I just thought it was interesting and it certainly fits into the "Unexplained" category!

Wisteria
The thing is, i'm not high strung. Lol. I'm so laid back it's scary.

I know that the land here is haunted but the slamming car door is fairly new. Just the past 2 years. Seriously, i'm not sure if the two are related.

Fortunately, my DH seems to have the EHS thing going on as well. At least he doesn't look at me weird when I jump out of bed!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:10 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
The thing is, i'm not high strung. Lol. I'm so laid back it's scary.

I know that the land here is haunted but the slamming car door is fairly new. Just the past 2 years. Seriously, i'm not sure if the two are related.

Fortunately, my DH seems to have the EHS thing going on as well. At least he doesn't look at me weird when I jump out of bed!
i dont jump out of bed but i hear them too over last 2 years--when i am awake

Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
i dont jump out of bed but i hear them too over last 2 years--when i am awake
The jumping out of bed thing, that has a lot to do with having been in the fire department and having 5 kids who were little hellians. A conditioned response.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:34 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,529 times
I get stressed out over things and suffer from insomnia on and off too.
I've often been awakened by the sound of a phone ringing, even though it didn't really ring.
The weirdest sound was one of a wooden dowel rolling along the cement floor in the basement.
My sounds aren't really loud, or don't seem to be anyway.

I'll hear footsteps in my house sometimes, when no one else is there, and odd thumps and bangs, however, I know without a doubt my house isn't haunted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal