Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times

Advertisements

I have had numerous paranormal encounters throughout my life, but this one was one of the most bizarre, given it was witnessed by four people.

North of where I grew up is a wooded area with the remains of a house and an old mill in it. While the area has been all but razed to put up subdivisions, when I was in high school it was a pretty rural area without any houses for quite some ways. There were many rumours about these woods (nicknamed Salem's Lot by the kids in town), ranging from being a dumping ground for KKK murder victims to being an ancient forgotten graveyard, and the requisite stories of the unburied dead that wandered among the trees.

It was Halloween in the early 90's and while we had long left high school, we still thought about the old Lot from time to time. Now as we were looking for a place to embrace the winter with one final bonfire of the season, someone suggested the Lot. There were four of us that made the drive up there: Johnny, Marty, Creeping Bob and myself. The plan was to collect up enough wood to last the night while it was still light out, head back to town for food and beer, and finally head back up to the Lot after dark with everyone else. We arrived at around 4:30 or 5:00, pulled over to the side of the road, and made the short hike through the woods to the old mill.

Upon entering the woods, Marty muttered something about being there before and took off into the trees. Being a bit of an oddball, we let him be and continued down the path. As we neared the old mill, Johnny suddenly jumped back in alarm. We looked over at what startled him, and saw a young woman about 18 in a white, old-fashioned type dress that was covered in mud and dirt from head to toe. Her hair was blonde, dirty with soil and was in quite a state. I also noticed she lacked a shoe on one foot and a sock on the other. She looked at us with this wild, crazy stare and ran off back towards the road where we parked the car. Johnny, Creeping Bob and I had all seen her, and started discussing the weirdness of the situation. At this point, Marty rejoined us from the direction the girl headed.

We all asked him if he saw the girl, to which he not only denied, but insisted we were lying about. Being Halloween, he figured we made it up as a story to scare him. Marty could get violent rather quickly, so rather than try to convince him of what we saw, we just dropped it. We continued into the woods and collected up a rather large pile of wood. Satisfied with our efforts, we started back to the car just as the woods were entering twilight.

As we approached the spot where we first saw the creepy girl, Marty started off. "Oh, where's that girl?" he taunted. "Oh, there she is! I can see her now!"

No sooner had the words escaped his lips when she returned out of the darkness, walking towards us. Marty was now apologizing for not believing us and being a wiseass earlier. We parted as the girl walked between us, and then started following about 10 feet behind us. By now, we were thoroughly creeped out. Marty was trying to ask if she was OK, but she simply followed in silence. As we neared the treeline at the side of the road, I turned back to her.

"Do you need a ride someplace?" I asked.

"No," she replied. "I am quite fine right here."

She then turned and started heading back into the woods as we made a hasty retreat to the car.

As we drove back to town, we all remarked on how weird it was for some girl to be wandering around in a getup like that in a remote woods sans a sock and shoe. It was Ontario after all, and it gets rather cold by Halloween. If it was some kind of elaborate prank, it was a weird and crazy way to set it up. After all, we were the only ones at the Lot, and had we not made plans for a bonfire there, she would have been without anyone to impress with her getup. I suggested that perhaps she was the victim of a sexual assault, given her condition and the crazed mannerisms she displayed during our first encounter. However, had that been the case then why would she risk a second assault by following four guys around the woods? One would think the victim of that type of crime would be wary of strange men immediately afterward. As we all pondered what happened in silence, Johnny finally spoke up.

"I don't think she was a rape victim," he said. "I think she dug herself out of her own grave."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
That would be a cool story. Rather than ruining it for you, I'll just let you go on believing that she did indeed dig herself out of her grave. Or perhaps it was YOU who were fooled that night?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 AM

Fooled in what way? I find it hard to believe some random chick would doll herself up in that getup, roll around in the dirt, lose a sock and shoe and then wander around a remote wooded location on a rather damp and chilly Halloween afternoon in the desperate hope that *someone* would chance by her before dark so she would have the opportunity to try and freak them out.

Obviously that is the most logical conclusion.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Come on...a beautiful young girl in old fashioned dress, covered in dirt from digging herself out of her grave in a dark spooky forest by an abandoned house on Halloween night?! That's as campy as is gets!

In my experience that's not how the paranormal works... but it IS a reason why serious thinkers call B.S. on the whole subject.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:51 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Default Good story.

Has a great campfire/old-school feel to it. Reminds me of the "Vanishing Hitchhiker" ghost story.

Maybe your friends set you up like in those Scare tactics shows. They may be laughing over beers about it now even.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 PM

374 posts, read 812,644 times
Canada has a KKK?

Old 06-21-2012, 04:46 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I have had numerous paranormal encounters throughout my life, but this one was one of the most bizarre, given it was witnessed by four people.

North of where I grew up is a wooded area with the remains of a house and an old mill in it. While the area has been all but razed to put up subdivisions, when I was in high school it was a pretty rural area without any houses for quite some ways. There were many rumours about these woods (nicknamed Salem's Lot by the kids in town), ranging from being a dumping ground for KKK murder victims to being an ancient forgotten graveyard, and the requisite stories of the unburied dead that wandered among the trees.

It was Halloween in the early 90's and while we had long left high school, we still thought about the old Lot from time to time. Now as we were looking for a place to embrace the winter with one final bonfire of the season, someone suggested the Lot. There were four of us that made the drive up there: Johnny, Marty, Creeping Bob and myself. The plan was to collect up enough wood to last the night while it was still light out, head back to town for food and beer, and finally head back up to the Lot after dark with everyone else. We arrived at around 4:30 or 5:00, pulled over to the side of the road, and made the short hike through the woods to the old mill.

Upon entering the woods, Marty muttered something about being there before and took off into the trees. Being a bit of an oddball, we let him be and continued down the path. As we neared the old mill, Johnny suddenly jumped back in alarm. We looked over at what startled him, and saw a young woman about 18 in a white, old-fashioned type dress that was covered in mud and dirt from head to toe. Her hair was blonde, dirty with soil and was in quite a state. I also noticed she lacked a shoe on one foot and a sock on the other. She looked at us with this wild, crazy stare and ran off back towards the road where we parked the car. Johnny, Creeping Bob and I had all seen her, and started discussing the weirdness of the situation. At this point, Marty rejoined us from the direction the girl headed.

We all asked him if he saw the girl, to which he not only denied, but insisted we were lying about. Being Halloween, he figured we made it up as a story to scare him. Marty could get violent rather quickly, so rather than try to convince him of what we saw, we just dropped it. We continued into the woods and collected up a rather large pile of wood. Satisfied with our efforts, we started back to the car just as the woods were entering twilight.

As we approached the spot where we first saw the creepy girl, Marty started off. "Oh, where's that girl?" he taunted. "Oh, there she is! I can see her now!"

No sooner had the words escaped his lips when she returned out of the darkness, walking towards us. Marty was now apologizing for not believing us and being a wiseass earlier. We parted as the girl walked between us, and then started following about 10 feet behind us. By now, we were thoroughly creeped out. Marty was trying to ask if she was OK, but she simply followed in silence. As we neared the treeline at the side of the road, I turned back to her.

"Do you need a ride someplace?" I asked.

"No," she replied. "I am quite fine right here."

She then turned and started heading back into the woods as we made a hasty retreat to the car.

As we drove back to town, we all remarked on how weird it was for some girl to be wandering around in a getup like that in a remote woods sans a sock and shoe. It was Ontario after all, and it gets rather cold by Halloween. If it was some kind of elaborate prank, it was a weird and crazy way to set it up. After all, we were the only ones at the Lot, and had we not made plans for a bonfire there, she would have been without anyone to impress with her getup. I suggested that perhaps she was the victim of a sexual assault, given her condition and the crazed mannerisms she displayed during our first encounter. However, had that been the case then why would she risk a second assault by following four guys around the woods? One would think the victim of that type of crime would be wary of strange men immediately afterward. As we all pondered what happened in silence, Johnny finally spoke up.

"I don't think she was a rape victim," he said. "I think she dug herself out of her own grave."
You write well. Sort of like Stephen King.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:47 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Canada has a KKK?
Yeah, I didn't know that either. Thought it was a US thing.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Come on...a beautiful young girl in old fashioned dress, covered in dirt from digging herself out of her grave in a dark spooky forest by an abandoned house on Halloween night?! That's as campy as is gets!

In my experience that's not how the paranormal works... but it IS a reason why serious thinkers call B.S. on the whole subject.
To be honest, I get how the story may sound to you. However you have to keep in mind that this was a wooded area that had very little development anywhere close to it at the time (the "house" was actually just the remains of the walls that had collapsed into the foundation). The only place you can park is at the side of the road (as we did), and there was no other car there. This chick was lacking shoes and a sock on one of her feet - on Halloween. I get the concept of pranking, but that would be a little extreme, don't you think? The visual of a dirt-covered girl is just as impacting if she is wearing shoes or not. The difference is walking in the woods is uncomfortable enough in the summer, and becomes just plain ridiculous for November in Canada. I wear 1600 gram thinsulate hunting boots during the deer season for good reason... Mainly because frostbite sucks.

Personally, I couldn't care one way or the other whether you believe this story or not. I posted it for those who are interested, not to look for some kind of anonymous validation on the reality of paranormal events.

BTW: I know your post is likely troll-bait, but I'll bite... Can you explain how "the paranormal works" and what in your opinion has made you a de facto authority on the subject? Furthemore, if you are one of these so-called "serious thinkers" who thinks the whole subject is B.S. what are you doing in this sub-forum to begin with?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post

BTW: I know your post is likely troll-bait, but I'll bite... Can you explain how "the paranormal works" and what in your opinion has made you a de facto authority on the subject? Furthemore, if you are one of these so-called "serious thinkers" who thinks the whole subject is B.S. what are you doing in this sub-forum to begin with?
Let me get my fork and knife...

First off, I don't buy your story... but I have a story too and I'm sure there are people who don't buy it either.

That's fair enough, though I'll tell you this much: Your story smells made up; either because it IS or because it is being told like a standard campfire story and just happens to contain elements that regularly show up in predictable fictional "scary story" tales. If it is really true I apologize and will say no more, but if it ain't, come clean and go in peace.

The reason is because people who have actually had brushes with the unknown are left profoundly psychologically disturbed by them. It is not easy to have your world rocked by experiencing something that shouldn't be, nor is it easy to pick up the pieces of a shattered world view and go on with a normal life. It is insulting to real people who really suffer from it and while I'm a habitual joker on the forum, this is one subject that I don't think is funny AT ALL.

As far as being an "expert"... I'm not. Nobody is! The supernatural is beyond normal human experience and frankly there isn't a living soul who really knows WTF is going on. I have my guesses and have done an unhealthy amount of research into the subject, but all the study in the world isn't gonna crack the lid on the mystery as long as we are stuck in our current perspective.

And yes, I think too much. Nobody's perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal