Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:42 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,793,663 times

Advertisements

Last dream this morning - Indians on the warpath, waiting for the arrows to come shooting at us, and looking for socks before the Indians arrived and we where stuck in snow with no dry socks.
I unloaded the dryer before I went to bed. I'd say that's where the socks came in.
I figure the snow was suggested by all those pictures of fireplaces I was working with yesterday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:24 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,487,454 times
I`m not saying that God, angels, spirits, etc. can`t send you a message while you`re sleeping. But my point is, they do that during waking hours as well.. The point is, when it happens while we are awake, people don`t say their spirit is wandering off into other worlds or visiting someone in a past life. But when it happens at night, they think that the spirit is doing all of this stuff. They don`t understand that the brain is performing a natural function, just like all other organs of the body. The heart still beats at night, your kidneys still function, and so does your brain. When you sit down and think about all of the information and data that enters our brain every minute that we are not even aware of, it`s mind boggling. For instance, you enter a building full of people. Think of all the people, sounds, voices, colors, objects, shapes, smells, etc. that your brain is processing. You are not even aware of 95% of it because your conscious mind is focused on your task at hand. But all of that information is in your brain. Any piece of it can show up in a dream. And that is just the few minutes that you are in that building. Your brain is taking in all kinds of data every second. While driving to the the building, all of the visual stimuli your brain is exposed to is recorded. Driving back home, watching tv, listening to the radio, sitting on the porch,etc. But we don`t even realize it. Any number of those things can show up in our dreams and we have no idea where it came from. We don`t remember seeing this person or seeing that object, etc. The brain searches it`s memory to try and connect the dots since the conscious mind is not engaged. We would go crazy if our brain engaged with our conscious mind to try and sort out all the pieces of information every second. We wouldn`t be able to focus or get anything done. So the conscious mind has to focus on certain things. The brain sorts it all out at night when the conscious mind is turned off, so to speak.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:17 PM

8,473 posts, read 10,889,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I`m not saying that God, angels, spirits, etc. can`t send you a message while you`re sleeping. But my point is, they do that during waking hours as well.. The point is, when it happens while we are awake, people don`t say their spirit is wandering off into other worlds or visiting someone in a past life. But when it happens at night, they think that the spirit is doing all of this stuff. They don`t understand that the brain is performing a natural function, just like all other organs of the body. The heart still beats at night, your kidneys still function, and so does your brain. When you sit down and think about all of the information and data that enters our brain every minute that we are not even aware of, it`s mind boggling. For instance, you enter a building full of people. Think of all the people, sounds, voices, colors, objects, shapes, smells, etc. that your brain is processing. You are not even aware of 95% of it because your conscious mind is focused on your task at hand. But all of that information is in your brain. Any piece of it can show up in a dream. And that is just the few minutes that you are in that building. Your brain is taking in all kinds of data every second. While driving to the the building, all of the visual stimuli your brain is exposed to is recorded. Driving back home, watching tv, listening to the radio, sitting on the porch,etc. But we don`t even realize it. Any number of those things can show up in our dreams and we have no idea where it came from. We don`t remember seeing this person or seeing that object, etc. The brain searches it`s memory to try and connect the dots since the conscious mind is not engaged. We would go crazy if our brain engaged with our conscious mind to try and sort out all the pieces of information every second. We wouldn`t be able to focus or get anything done. So the conscious mind has to focus on certain things. The brain sorts it all out at night when the conscious mind is turned off, so to speak.

Rather than go into a long spiel about what you posted here,let me ask you one question.
What do you think is the main function of the spirit within each of us?
Bob.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I think Bob's dream, simply put, means that Bob has always wanted to fit in, but couldn't. All the signs are there, the covered wagon fits right in with his age group.
Care to explain?
I am a bit perplexed about this "fitting in", and fitting in with the age group.
What the hell does that mean?
Bob.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:04 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,487,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Rather than go into a long spiel about what you posted here,let me ask you one question.
What do you think is the main function of the spirit within each of us?
Bob.
The spirit is who we are. We are here to grow and learn. All of life`s lessons are implanted in our spirit that makes us who we are. As I stated in another post, why are some kids extremely shy from birth and their brother extremely outgoing? One athletic and another musical? One mischevious and another easy going? It could be those personality traits are formed over many lifetimes and experiences. But while we are here, in this lifetime, in this era, in this body we, or our spirit, has lessons to learn so we can grow.
But the brain is just an organ in the body that helps us navigate through this physical, earthly, 3D existence. Dreams are just the brains way of organizing, filing, remembering, and discarding information. Nothing more or nothing less.

I know you want to believe that dreams are somehow magical or spiritual in nature. And you have your own reasons for wanting to believe that. But I think it is naive to totally disregard decades of study and scientific and medical proof. While a lot of information about dreams still remains a mystery, I have based my belief on a core of scientific proofs and facts. So far, you have presented no facts, just your belief in a book that says dreams are spiritual.

Let me ask you a few question. If dreams are totally spiritual and nothing else, then why does a lack of dreaming have such dire circumstances for our physical body? Why are dreams cyclical in nature? It has been proven that REM sleep last a certain amount of time before one comes to a lighter pattern of sleep, then back into REM sleep again and so forth. Sleep scientist see a definate patter and timing to when a person dreams. It isn`t random at all.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I think Bob's dream, simply put, means that Bob has always wanted to fit in, but couldn't. All the signs are there, the covered wagon fits right in with his age group.
Quote:
Care to explain?
I am a bit perplexed about this "fitting in", and fitting in with the age group.
What the hell does that mean?
It's just the way I saw it, what I thought of it.
If the answer doesn't fit, then it's wrong. You know if it fits or not.
Other people can't interpret your dreams for you. They don't know the inner you. They can only give their own opinions, which can be either helpful or total bushwa (bovine excrement).

Old 07-15-2012, 05:59 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,494,775 times
I don't know who the people in my dreams are.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Most of my dreams are peopled by folks I've never met
Many of the places are places I've never seen
Our minds make things up as we go along.
Some of us are very busy as we sleep, making up all sorts of things.
My son says every dream he has is like watching a movie. Me? sometimes I'm watching the movie, sometimes I'm in the movie. Sometimes I'm me, sometimes I'm someone else. I've even been a man for heaven's sake.

I used to have a certain dream over and over again. To make things brief, I and my children were in peril. A dangerous man had broken into our house and we had to escape. When I got to a phone to call for help, the person at the other end couldn't hear me and would hang up.
The reason for this dream is that my husband's job took him away for about 6 months worth of days every year. When things went wrong at home, I had to handle them myself, and I used to worry, what if something really bad happened?

Now to real wide awake life.
One day something happened to one of the kids. It drove me into a total panic. (Don't worry, it wasn't life threatening, just one of those stupid things a teenage boy is apt to do which drives you out of your mind at the time of the event). Anyway, I needed to speak to my husband desperately. I was in dire need of moral support. I called him at the hotel. The hotel operator couldn't hear me and hung up on me. I called again, I yelled into the phone. She still couldn't hear me and hung up on me again.
I wound up going across to the neighbors' and asked to use their phone, and got through to my husband.

End result? I bought a brand new telephone and never had that dream again.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
The spirit is who we are. We are here to grow and learn. All of life`s lessons are implanted in our spirit that makes us who we are. As I stated in another post, why are some kids extremely shy from birth and their brother extremely outgoing? One athletic and another musical? One mischevious and another easy going? It could be those personality traits are formed over many lifetimes and experiences. But while we are here, in this lifetime, in this era, in this body we, or our spirit, has lessons to learn so we can grow.
But the brain is just an organ in the body that helps us navigate through this physical, earthly, 3D existence. Dreams are just the brains way of organizing, filing, remembering, and discarding information. Nothing more or nothing less.

I know you want to believe that dreams are somehow magical or spiritual in nature. And you have your own reasons for wanting to believe that. But I think it is naive to totally disregard decades of study and scientific and medical proof. While a lot of information about dreams still remains a mystery, I have based my belief on a core of scientific proofs and facts. So far, you have presented no facts, just your belief in a book that says dreams are spiritual.

Let me ask you a few question. If dreams are totally spiritual and nothing else, then why does a lack of dreaming have such dire circumstances for our physical body? Why are dreams cyclical in nature? It has been proven that REM sleep last a certain amount of time before one comes to a lighter pattern of sleep, then back into REM sleep again and so forth. Sleep scientist see a definate patter and timing to when a person dreams. It isn`t random at all.

I think, in reading your post, I have found the reasons for our not agreeing on this subject at hand.
In your post, you are of the belief, we as humans are a separate entity from the soul (spirit), and we act independently of the soul.
That just is not the case.
We are a host vessel for the soul, and nothing more.
You are not the one learning.
The soul on it's journey, is using your body as a tool to learn.
Your brain is the instrument of learning, but if your spirit felt it wanted to disembark from your body permanently, you would cease to exist, and that brain you speak of as being independent of the spirit, would rot away , as would the rest of the body.
The soul (spirit) is not matter, and must use matter to gain the knowledge, and understanding of every facet of universal life, so that it may climb that all important ladder to ultimate purity.
You have only been given life so that some spirit can seek it's ultimate goal.
You are absolutely nothing more, nothing less.
You spoke of people being different, and that is a natural trait in everybody.
What would a spirit learn if all human beings were exactly the same?
There would be nothing to learn for advancement of the spirit.
Spirits do not act, or think in a predetermined manner, except when choosing a body to re-incarnate too.
What it boils down to, (and if you live to be 100 years) you will never believe, the human body only reacts to the spirit within it.
Humans do not have free will as some believe, it is the spirit within that has that free will, and your human body acts in response to that free will of the spirit.
If your eyes suddenly close, it is not you that closed them.
If you run, instead of walk, your human body was directed by your spirit to do that.
Everything having to do with the human body are done in reflection of what the spirit has dictated it do, and that includes all brain function.
In another post, I compared the human body to a vehicle.
We use the vehicle to get from point a too point b.
We climb in, and drive.
The spirit is using you as it's tool.
When you were born, it climbed in, and began the journey to further it's goals.
If you have a better answer as to why the human race was created, other than a tool for the spirit, I would love to hear it.
Bob.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,560,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
That's something I find so fascinating about dreams. I often don't either, and I wonder if they're people I've seen in stores or something and I don't realize, or if my brain is making them up - or to get all paranormal about it, are they people on the other side ?

I had a dream last week that I got fired (yikes) - was in a panic - then was sitting in a restaurant having lunch with a total stranger, and I told him I'd just go ahead and get started on a creative project I've wanted to work on but have has a lot of blocks. The guy didn't say a word but actually didn't look convinced that I'd do it (and he's right) (and it wouldn't have brought in income, at least not for years).

I read once that other people in dreams can represent parts of ourselves; he could have represented my ego showing doubt and the dream might have been about my ongoing struggle with creativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal