Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,487,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think, in reading your post, I have found the reasons for our not agreeing on this subject at hand.
In your post, you are of the belief, we as humans are a separate entity from the soul (spirit), and we act independently of the soul.
Bob, that is not what I believe at all. If you go back and read what I wrote,I believe the exact opposite of what you think I believe. I stated that the spirit is who we are and the body is the vehicle we use to operate in the pysical realm. Much like driving a car. We are in the car and the car gets us from point A to point B but we are not the car. We are just driving it. We operate the car. But the car still has an engine and other systems that perform major functions to keep it viable. Much like our bodies. I believe we are spirits in a physical human body. We use the body while we are on earth. But the systems of the body still perform major functions and have certain checks and balances that keep them running smoothly, such as dreaming does for our brain. So no, I don`t believe we are a seperate entity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 AM

8,473 posts, read 10,889,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Bob, that is not what I believe at all. If you go back and read what I wrote,I believe the exact opposite of what you think I believe. I stated that the spirit is who we are and the body is the vehicle we use to operate in the pysical realm. Much like driving a car. We are in the car and the car gets us from point A to point B but we are not the car. We are just driving it. We operate the car. But the car still has an engine and other systems that perform major functions to keep it viable. Much like our bodies. I believe we are spirits in a physical human body. We use the body while we are on earth. But the systems of the body still perform major functions and have certain checks and balances that keep them running smoothly, such as dreaming does for our brain. So no, I don`t believe we are a seperate entity.
I'M glad you cleared that up.
Bob.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:29 PM

24,364 posts, read 22,950,229 times
I had a doozy of a dream today. The world was going to end, mankind was going to be wiped out by a astronomical disaster but aliens were evacuating the entire human race off planet to save them. For weeks people were leaving at areas, boarding space ships and it was getting down to the last window of opportunity to leave and there was a big rush to get to the evacuation centers for the last ships out. But it was kind of cool having the freedom to do as you pleased once more and more people left. But also kind of scary.
Not everybody chose to leave and I had a debate in my dream over whether or not deciding to stay on earth would be suicide or not. And there was also the nagging doubt about the aliens intentions. What if they were just using this as a ruse to get as many people off the planet as possible and intended to use the evacuees as slaves or maybe just kill them. Then they'd have the planet to themselves, assuming it wasn't destroyed.
Creepy too was how you had to give profiled information about yourself , your skills and medical history and personality. Like you'd be assigned a position into a new society, I didn't like that. The aliens too were enigmatic, we never saw them but dealt with human representatives of them. Another downer, no pets or the very elderly or terminally ill were being allowed to go which I had trouble with. I was really debating whether or not to go at the last minute and was waiting for the end of the dream to be where if I stayed I'd duddenly regret it if the world would be really destroyed. At that point I realized I was dreaming and woke up. I guess its just as well.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:50 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,645,926 times
Your dream is much more interesting than the one I had this morning.
There was a dead body, I never saw it. Someone I knew was the 'killer'. What was stressing me out was the hands in a jar. It was not so much hands in the jar that bothered me, but that they where at my house.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM

181 posts, read 217,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Well Bob, I can certainly appreciate and respect your opnion. and I do. But to say you have presented substantial proof , well, I`d have to say isn`t true at all. You have presented zero proof. Just your opinion from a book written over a hundred years ago. But that`s ok. You want to believe that, and that`s your right. But please don`t say it`s proof. It isn`t proof at all. Noone has absolute proof as to what exactly dreams are. But one thing we do know as true...the physical brain is active during periods of dreaming. That means the dreams are occuring in the physical brain. That is 100% true. As to what else is taken place noone knows.
The physical brain is active during periods of dreaming?

True.

The physical brain is always active.

But its quite a leap to then say that the dreams are occurring in the physical brain.

We don't know.

I myself believe that (while alive) there may be a sort of shall we say door/gate/opening in some part of the brain which may lead to spiritual regions outside of the body.

I don't know, I can't prove it, but I'd like for this to be true.

In fact IMO its a truism that...........we believe in what we want or need to believe in and that truism is true for all, for skeptics, atheists, pure scientists as well as for spiritual people, religious people, mystics etc.

In my belief, its much better to go through life with spiritual and idealistic beliefs rather than with a skeptical or scientific system.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 PM

112 posts, read 177,086 times
According to Zen, "to interpret dreams is to judge which of the clouds is the most perfect". Though Freud and Jung seem to have gotten away with a lot of it.
All of them have some latent sexual substance behind them, which being a psychologist, I must fully support, as some of my dreams have nothing but sex in them, though not much in reality.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:06 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,180,777 times
Quote:
It has been my experience over the many years, dealing with the spirit world, that there is a definite reason we dream, and dream a particular dream.
My studies over a long period, have explained to me what dreams are.
They are the time, when we are sleeping, that our spirit within leaves our body, and travels to other places, and perhaps other times.
It may visit with a special friend, or group it knew in past lives, or may visit a favorite place in it's past.
Some of these dreams can be peaceful, while others may be troublesome.
All the while, as humans, we lie in deep slumber as all this takes place in the form of a dream.
More often than not, we can't remember the dream upon waking.
Some nights, we don't seem to dream at all, and during those times, it is as though we are in fact, dead.
We have no moments while sleeping,telling us we are alive.
It is as though we are dead.
Many time during sleep, we have a number of dreams, and more often than not, remain vague at best, upon awakening.
All these dreams are happening when we sleep.
The restless spirit within us desires to travel the universe in search of many things, and through it's actions, we are dreaming all of the activity.
Just before wakening, the spirit returns,and we arise to a new day, mostly forgetful of what we dreaming.
So, when you dream, you are not in control of anything in that dream, you are subconsciously there as a bystander, with no way of controlling what is happening.
Bob.
Well, according to some real scientists who study this sort of thing, dreams are a way for our brains to process and sort information picked up throughout the day. But, the jury is still out. No one knows what purpose dreams may provide. Also, while not all dreams are remembered, dreaming in and of itself is evidence of a good night's sleep.

Here is my guess: your brain does not shut down when you sleep. It does not turn off. So, since it is still in process of processing information it must go into "reserve" mode and process information that is stored since there is little new information coming in. This is evidenced by the fact that many dreams contain information that was recently thought about or experienced and why people say to "sleep on it" before making some decisions.

Quote:
You are correct in your feeling that it was done to prepare you for the events of the next day.
You know, many people have always spoken of a guardian angel.
That guardian is the spirit that inhabits our body.
It is through the action, and thoughts of the spirit that we as humans function as we do, and along the way, the thought process of the spirit, and it's actions, are saved in memory for the elder spirits of authority to use when judging the spirit upon return to the spirit world.
Bob.
Eh, my guess is that you would have said the same thing if it were her car that broke down instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I started having lucid dreams at a young age, and figured out how to get myself out of them. The first time it happened, I think I was around 6 or 7 years old, and I was having a nightmare about one of my teachers. At some point, I thought to myself "This is too weird...I must be dreaming", so in the dream, I closed my eyes really tight and willed myself to wake up, which I did.

Since then, I have learned that when you find yourself conscious of the fact that you're dreaming, if you look at your hand, for some reason you are able to hold the conscious dream-state longer and remember the details better. I've only managed to remember about the hand thing once, and that dream was one of the best I've ever had...my dad (deceased) and I were talking, and I was asking him things he wasn't allowed to answer for the most part, but he did say this:
"Everything you need to know is already inside you. You are the mirror."
My dad and I connect this way, through dreams, regularly...and now that I think about it, it's time for another visit with him!
I used to have nightmares as a child. These all but stopped once I started having the ability of lucid dreams. I do not recall ever having that "I am only dreaming" moment, but instead the realization that I can take control. Now, whenever something that I suspect would turn out to be a bad dream begins, I turn it around.

Most of my lucid dreams also involve my father, who passed when I was 19. They all start out with some sort of turmoil then end with us loving each other. However, he has never once gave words of wisdom that I am aware of. Our relationship was not the best when he was alive, but we did love each other dearly. This is another reason why I firmly believe dreams are a way to process information and not something supernatural. Then again, my dad was a hard-a** John Wayne type when he was alive....so I wouldn't put it past him to be a hard-a** in the "after life". He was never the type to hold your hand and walk you through something. My mom once told me that when I was three years old I wanted to jump off the diving board at a local pool. I had yet to learn to swim, but was insistent. My dad told the life guard to let me do it, and that I would either learn to swim...or not. I obviously did not drown, and according to my mom, I was able to keep my head above water. That was the kind of guy he was in real life and the same in my dreams. Spirit world, I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Dreams do seem more significant than just random processes in your brain or your sub-conscious...I mean they have such structured plots, like stories, some so bizarre you'd never dream them up in your waking state in a million years. It's a common primitive belief that a dreamer's soul leaves his body during the dream, into a sort of netherworld, which may or may not be associated with the spirit world or an afterlife. Perhaps there is another realm, another dimension, one of pure thought, and dreams...Sometimes I really do feel I've entered a sort of parallel universe during a dream. I, too, am sometimes aware that I'm dreaming and can control events in the dream.
It was also a primitive belief that the world was flat. We have come a long way since. For me, what makes dreaming so fun is that they are often times so bizarre it makes you wonder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I've never had a lucid dream but would love to, that would be so interesting. I did have a semi-precognitive dream before 9/11 (I say semi because the dream was about a battleship hitting the skyscraper I was in, but for all intents and purposes the planes were turned into battleships). I also frequently have dreams that are epic quests filled with total strangers. I work from home so I attribute dreams full of people and activity partially as my brain making up for the relative isolation of working from home. But who are these people? Heh.
Supposidly the trick to gaining "access" to lucid dreaming is to try and remember your dreams as soon as you wake up by keeping a dream diary. I do not recall how I began to do it, it just happened. If I remember correctly it went something like I am in a situation I cannot control, I do not like what is happening, oh wait, check this out! The tables are now turned. My understanding is that lucid dreams convey your aptitude for controlling your own life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal