Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times

Advertisements

I believe in reincarnation.
I also believe we are here to learn and grow and it does not matter so much what your spiritual beliefs or if you are an atheist, but how you live your life. We should attempt to make the best possible choice for all when confronted with decisions. That is, not be solely selfish and not wanting to harm another.

I do not think that those who have had 'spiritual' experiences are necessarily any more evolved than anyone else. l think there are people who can start out in life as very dense or who have made bad decisions who are sometimes put back on track with 'revelations' or psychic occurrences of one sort or another. Others may not require such prodding.

Those with psychic 'gifts' - I think of the words
to those who are given much, much is also expected
whatever that means.

People with great intelligence and talents can also do great damage and they also can make great mistakes, which is why in the West we are trained to be self reliant and very suspicious of gurus.

Do you think those with psychic gifts are any better than you as individuals?
Don't you think too many people kind of worship such people and it goes to their heads?
How would you handle it if you were born with great psychic ability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:06 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
I have not encountered anyone who worships someone with psychic ability.
I don't think those with a developed psychic sense are any better than another person.
Sure there are plenty of people who wished they could do what another person can do, no matter what the natural talent another could have.

We all have the ability to be psychic, and it is like a muscle, the more you work and excersice it, the stronger it gets.
I have had many psychic impressions. Some are random, some come while focusing. But I am far from being 'great'.
But, if I had such a strong ability, I'm not sure what I would do exactly. I do know that I would do what I could to help others.
Not much different than what I do now, just more of it.
I'm pretty good at finding lost things....lol.
Would I make a business out of it? Well, sorta. I have other passions and things I can do to make money. Offering services for pay would just be secondary.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:22 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Quote:
Goldengrain: Do you think those with psychic gifts are any better than you as individuals?
Don't you think too many people kind of worship such people and it goes to their heads?
How would you handle it if you were born with great psychic ability?
This is an interest of mine. NO, they are NOT better as individuals. Just because someone has what someone calls a "gift" does NOT mean they are better -- just different. It does not make their life easy or beautiful. In fact, it can be quite the opposite. As I think you know, I know of someone with what is called a "gift," but it is not always wrapped in pretty paper and feels good. It can bring a lot of problems with it. It's funny that people call it a "gift," when it can make things much more difficult. It is just a "difference" and as people know many people who are "different" -- in whichever way they are different -- can also be distanced. I don't know how the term "gift" came about -- it seems odd to me because to have such an ability can bring a lot of hard times, too. But I think that it's sometimes thought that these people are "better" because maybe for whatever reason, they can "feel" or "see" or "hear" something someone else may not -- but it is not always for the better. People who live with it, I'm sure do not talk about the "bad" parts to it -- it's not pleasant to relate. Nothing is perfect. It's too bad that people get put on a pedestal for it and then when things happen, those who are worshiping are both shocked and upset -- "how could this person with this 'gift' have this happen -- isn't life just rosy for them?" I would guess those who actually do have the "gift" won't talk about the bad parts -- unless they are close to someone. Personally, I think the media has distorted this whole field.

I know people who DO actually "worship" those with what you refer to as gifts. Unfortunately, if they do not know how to tell the difference, or just happen to blindly believe, then, yes, they can do that -- and many of us have seen the results of people worshiping people for something maybe they don't even have. I don't understand that "worshiping" of such things.

I would guess anyone born with any "great psychic ability," (not sure how you are defining that) first, probably wouldn't even know they were different to begin with until they realized others didn't "see" or whatever what they did. It would be a challenge. To me, it would have to be handled with great integrity and honesty. It would have to be something that is cherished and cared for. I believe that someone with that ability would be challenged frequently, and would have to rise to the challenge. Only then would they have any credibility. It would be hard. And if they did have the "gift," then if it were me, I think it would be tested and tested and tested for accuracy, integrity and honesty. If one could not pass the test, then it's over. Done. Kaput.

I, too, believe in reincarnation, and I actually have had my own memories. Some of them were "shared" memories (others in the same group). My daughter had two memories of her own. One was of Japan -- and finally she is now living there -- we all KNEW she HAD to go to Japan since she was 3 years old -- her memory was that strong. It took until her twenties for her to actually get there. Because we both believe in reincarnation, I had to tell her, "It will be different. You were a different person then at a different time. Be prepared for the differences." And it wasn't exactly as she wanted it to be -- it IS different. So, she is finally putting to rest those intense memories. It has been both an adventure and a hardship to have actually remembered and gone back later....(I won't go into the details on a forum).

I am currently resolving (after 60 some years) some of my "lessons." It has been hard. I have had many dreams lately showing me that I'm finally getting there. I keep saying that "Next time, I won't come in with a crash course in lessons!"

Remembering isn't always good. But sometimes it is useful. My daughter also at around age 2-1/2 remembered another time. I "didn't get it" at first. I was stressed, tired, divorced, strained, and I "heard" her but didn't realize what was happening at first. It took three times of an incident that she talked about with great fear for me to FINALLY "get" it and help her through it. She no longer remembers it, but I do, because it was intense. The Japanese memory kept on going, though. She even started teaching herself Japanese at age 9! Seriously. It's been intense, and soon I am going to visit her there. I will finally see what her obsession has been all these years.

And, you're correct -- people who have "something different" (what you call a gift) are put into tough positions and are expected to give and do more. And usually they do, because to have that ability, you'd also most likely have very high sensitivity and empathy toward others -- how could one not if they could "feel" things on a regular basis or "see" or a bunch of other things. It would be self-evident that (when they finally realized they WERE different) to give would just be natural. But it has to be "real" giving, not fake giving. Honestly, I don't see how someone could actually be "gifted" and not give back -- it doesn't make sense.

But maybe I have it mixed up because your title says "revelations" but I'm not sure what you mean by that. I understand that George Anderson had an accident (to the head) and afterwards was able to be a medium. He still questions it even though he is very good. In fact, the few that I know who are "good" actually DO have some sort of brain difference -- either an injury, or born with a "defect," or some other brain anomaly. I would guess others who do not have an obvious brain difference might also have the "gift," but I think it's interesting that some who do have an "injured" brain, which, ironically, allows them to have "visions" or "revelations" or whatever. It just shows how little of our brain is put to use if when injured it can produce such revelations.

It's a very interesting question, Goldengrain. I am glad you are bringing this topic up. I just wish there was more scientific testing -- only catch is, they don't know how to measure the brain when someone is having a "revelation" and many are spontaneous....I don't think one can walk around with an EEG going all the time - lol. I think, also, that in the '60s when LSD was popular that it showed again another part of the brain that was not normally activated, but with the drug it was -- and people had "revelations" or "visions" and all sorts of sensory things that one would not normally have.

I hope that with more brain research that there will be some logical answers to this topic of the "gift." In my opinion, I think it is more a physical/brain thing than an actual "gift." I see it more in terms of a scientific brain phenomenon. Certainly it could be something else, but that's kind of how I see it.

Thanks for your questions.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:21 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
But maybe I have it mixed up because your title says "revelations" but I'm not sure what you mean by that. I understand that George Anderson had an accident (to the head) and afterwards was able to be a medium. He still questions it even though he is very good. In fact, the few that I know who are "good" actually DO have some sort of brain difference -- either an injury, or born with a "defect," or some other brain anomaly. I would guess others who do not have an obvious brain difference might also have the "gift," but I think it's interesting that some who do have an "injured" brain, which, ironically, allows them to have "visions" or "revelations" or whatever. It just shows how little of our brain is put to use if when injured it can produce such revelations.

Thanks for your questions.
Just to clarify about George Anderson--At the age of 6 years old, George Anderson contracted chicken pox, which quickly became a nearly fatal case of encephalomyelitis--a swelling of the brain which caused damage to his cerebrum and rendered him unable to walk. At the time, he was not expected to survive, but made a slow recovery over the course of the following three months, even regaining the use of his legs. Not long after that near-fatal episode, George began seeing the image of a woman dressed in lilac colored robes, who George later came to understand was St. Joan of Arc. She spoke to George at length about life hereafter, and the journey he would eventually be asked to embark upon. He also began to regularly see and hear relatives and family friends who had already passed on.
George Anderson Biography

Old 07-13-2012, 08:03 AM

652 posts, read 873,884 times
Few psychics engage in psychological warfare with the spirit world. Few if any can understand the internal suffering of a true soul doctor. One must go through and endure years of psychological training to have a perfect understanding of the human condition. A soul like this doesn't advertise his skills, he does everything for free without any compensation. A true medium has to have perfect self awareness or they become a legend in their own mind.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:42 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Quote:
Pippyskiddles: Just to clarify about George Anderson--At the age of 6 years old, George Anderson contracted chicken pox, which quickly became a nearly fatal case of encephalomyelitis--a swelling of the brain which caused damage to his cerebrum and rendered him unable to walk. At the time, he was not expected to survive, but made a slow recovery over the course of the following three months, even regaining the use of his legs. Not long after that near-fatal episode, George began seeing the image of a woman dressed in lilac colored robes, who George later came to understand was St. Joan of Arc. She spoke to George at length about life hereafter, and the journey he would eventually be asked to embark upon. He also began to regularly see and hear relatives and family friends who had already passed on.
Thank you so much for clarifying that for me. I knew it had something to do with something that happened to his brain (and encephalitis will sure do that -- he was lucky he survived). That just makes me more nervous -- I am going to Asia soon and I am "too old" to receive the encephalitis vaccine.....gees, I hated mosquitoes before, but now I really hate them! Thanks again -- I have a hard time trying to keep them all straight!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Aleister Crowley:
Few psychics engage in psychological warfare with the spirit world. Few if any can understand the internal suffering of a true soul doctor. One must go through and endure years of psychological training to have a perfect understanding of the human condition. A soul like this doesn't advertise his skills, he does everything for free without any compensation. A true medium has to have perfect self awareness or they become a legend in their own mind.
Hi Aleister,
Could you please explain what you mean about psychological warfare with the spirit world? My experiences are mine, but I am not an expert in this stuff. I do not know what you mean by years of psychological training, etc. Do you mean psychologists or something else? Is that sort of like an exorcism?? I'm sorry, I'm a dolt, and I do not actually know to what you are referring.

Thanks!
Wisteria

Old 07-13-2012, 11:37 PM

577 posts, read 992,422 times
Something I recently read made me began wondering along similar lines. A young lady is invited to a family gathering. She doesn't drive so another young woman who is going to the party is to stop by and pick her up on the way.The first woman begins to "hear" a warning in her mind that says "Do Not Go!". She heeds the warnings and cancels. The next day she discovers that the girl who was to pick her up is involved in a multi-car pileup and is killed. The point was to show a warning from the subconscious/higher self/higher source.
However I cannot help but wonder why the one woman is warned, while the other is allowed to perish. Why didn't the other woman get a warning? ..Or....perhaps she did, but she ignored it. Some people seem to get dream warnings of future events, while the other poor folks are allowed to drive/fly/run merrily to their doom.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:16 AM

This may not be an accurate answer, however, I think that some people are just more receptive and psychically sensitive. One was sensitive and the other not.

As a former Edgar Cayce Clinic employee, I like his information (although he died in 1945). I recall that one time he was going to step into an elevator and saw that all the people in it had "black auras." He did not get on the elevator.....and it did crash and they all died. But he was sensitive....

That's all I can think of.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:04 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,230 times
my own experiences - I've had premonitions several times in my life, mostly in regard to my own family. It works like this. I wake up one day, and as certain as you are about the past, I am that certain of the future event. It doesn't matter if I tell someone about it or not. It always occurs. So that is why I am more of the scientific mind set. It just has to have something to do with time bending in all directions. Maybe what we think of as psychic predictions are actually events that have already occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal