Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times

Advertisements

We've lived in our home almost 12 yrs. and haven't had any strange occurrences. But recently, I'd say within the last year some strange stuff has been going on but I just ignored it and chalked it up to my imagination.

Recently my 23 yr. old son told me that something touched his back while he was in the basement and said 'hey' in his ear. He said it happened as couple of times but again, I just chalked it up to his imagination or figured it was just basement noise. But, the other day my older son went downstairs to play his electric drum set. With that drum set he wears large headphones so he can hear the drums. He can't hear any outside noises with them on either. Anyway, he said he was playing the drums and he felt someone put a hand on his shoulder so he turned around to see who it was but no one was there, and then he said someone said 'hey' in his ear. Not through the headphones but in his left ear.

That son wasn't aware that his brother had had the same experience until I told him.

Any idea what's going on? Why? Why now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:38 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
We've lived in our home almost 12 yrs. and haven't had any strange occurrences. But recently, I'd say within the last year some strange stuff has been going on but I just ignored it and chalked it up to my imagination.

Recently my 23 yr. old son told me that something touched his back while he was in the basement and said 'hey' in his ear. He said it happened as couple of times but again, I just chalked it up to his imagination or figured it was just basement noise. But, the other day my older son went downstairs to play his electric drum set. With that drum set he wears large headphones so he can hear the drums. He can't hear any outside noises with them on either. Anyway, he said he was playing the drums and he felt someone put a hand on his shoulder so he turned around to see who it was but no one was there, and then he said someone said 'hey' in his ear. Not through the headphones but in his left ear.

That son wasn't aware that his brother had had the same experience until I told him.

Any idea what's going on? Why? Why now?

Well, It sounds like there may be a presence reaching out. The good news is that it appears benevolent in this case. Have you looked into the home's history?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:37 AM

The house is 20something years old. The original owners got divorced and then we bought it. Nothing traumatic happened while they lived here and nothing really traumatic happened while we've lived here either. According to what the neighbors said they seemed like a pretty normal family.
My in-laws were living in our rental apartment on the first floor and they both passed away 8 years ago, but considering their age it wasn't unexpected. My mom in law passed away in the hospital, and my father in law passed away soon after. We always said he wanted to be with his wife because they were inseparable in life.

The experiences I've had here are that I could have sworn I saw someone dressed in dark clothes with a dark hoodie go into my bathroom. I assumed it was my son, but I waited and I could see the bathroom door from where I was and nobody ever came out, nor did I hear any noise. So, I knocked on the door but the room was empty. I figured it was just my imagination.

The other experience I had here was when I was planning on going to bed. I was standing at my bedroom door, the lights were on in the bedroom so I could see a little bit into the hallway and I was calling my dog trying to get her to come in the room, but I could see my black cat walking down the hallway coming towards my bedroom. I didn't want the cat in my room so I kept calling the dog all the while keeping my eye on the cat, planning to shut the door, or shoo her away if she tried to get in the room, but once the cat came up to the light from the bedroom that was spilling into the hall, it wasn't there any more. It was weird. I know I saw the cat. I could see the body and a little bit of eye shine and I watched it walk down the hallway without taking my eyes off of it.

and for the last 6 mos. we've had what sounds and feels like someone sitting on my side of the bed. My bed is attached to a brass headboard so when I sit on the bed it makes a distinctive creaking noise. Both the headboard and the mattress creak. When I'm in the bed I sometimes can feel my side of the bed go down like someone sat on it and I hear the bed and my headboard creak at the same time. My husband has experienced this also. He was in the bedroom the other day when he heard the creaking noises and he thought I came into the room and sat down, but it wasn't me or anyone.

Until these things started happening, I've never had any creepy feelings in this house and that's one of the reasons I bought it. I could go into the basement in the middle of the night, and into the spare bedroom or the foyer but now the whole house feels eerie to me. I keep expecting to see someone every time I go into a room. The whole place creeps me out now.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I hate basements, man. Don't ever want to buy a house with one.

But my personal feelings aside -- I'd check to see if the original owner is still alive.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:18 AM

The original owners were fairly young when they sold us the house. He's alive, but his ex-wife, the female owner died in the World trade center attack but by then we'd lived here a couple of years.

I'm not crazy about basements either in most houses.

My basement shouldn't feel creepy though. It's all finished with flooring, walls and furniture. The ceilings are high and there are windows down there.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:43 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Many paranormal happenings are sometimes difficult to explain, but in this case, I find myself having to ask a few questions, and make a couple of observations.
My first question is, other than your in laws passing, has any other family member, or close friend passed recently?
With the incidents in the basement, did either son speak in terms if it were a male or female voice?
When these actions first happened, you felt it was your imagination,.
What made you think you were imagining it?
Now for some observations.
If you have read any of my post dealing with this subject, you would know I have been involved in the study of afterlife for many years now, and paranormal behavior is part of those studies.
You stated that your cat seemed to disappear into thin air while coming down the hallway.
What I believe happened is your cat, in the darkness of the hall, coupled with your shoowing it away. turned abruptly, and went back from whence it came.
Because the hallway was mostly dark, you didn't see the cat retreat.
No disappearing act here.
Now as for the two brothers, on different occasions experiencing the same thing, one has to deep a little deeper into this.
I find it a little hard to believe that after experiencing something like this, a family member would remain silent about it.
You stated the older one knew nothing about the previous experience with the other brother.
Something like this happening, would most certainly come up at the dinner table, and if by chance there is no set dinner time for everyone, it would most certainly have been mentioned at some time soon after it happened.
Your statement about seeing someone in a black hoodie going into your bathroom is a bit hard to swallow.
In all my studies, I have never heard of a spirit revealing itself, as though still human, with the material characteristics of a human body.
I have heard of spirits revealing themselves to humans, on many occasions, but in each and every instance, the spirit,though in clothes, is not seen clearly, but in a shroud like,a veil of fog .
Seeing one in a "black" hoodie would most definitely be an unusual sighting.
If anything, it would have , because of the aura surrounding all spirits, been of a grayish hue, and one could not distinguish color.
Now, as for the feeling someone sitting down next to you on the bed.
To understand this, you need to know a little more about the composition of a spirit.
The best way to describe a spirit would be, like a cloud.
It is not matter as we humans know of matter, but rather an aura if you will.
I am not saying you didn't feel something,I am trying to explain what it was you did feel.
It is entirely possible you felt something close to you, but what it was could not have been heavy enough to feel the mattress sag from it's weight.
Remember, the spirit is weightless as the air we breathe, there is no way , even if one were sitting next to you, that you would feel anything other than it's presence, and more often than not, we don't feel that either.
As for feeling a physical reaction, such as the mattress sagging because you felt someone sitting next to you, I highly doubt it.
Spirits are capable of moving objects, and the creaking bed could very well have been a result of spirit intervention, but being as light as air, a sagging mattress is a bit of a stretch for me.
Do I believe you, and members of your family had some paranormal experiences?
The one I am more inclined to believe happened, is the shaking bed.
As for the voices in the ear?, I suspect it had something to do with the environment in the basement, and nothing spiritual.
In the case with the older son, what he thought he heard, could very well have been form the music, or drums he was playing.
You stated he wore a headset, and said nothing about removing them prior to hearing the voice.
A little strange to me as one on the outside looking in.
Bob.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:46 PM

Bob, No family or friends have passed recently.

I asked one son whether the voice was male or female and he said he wasn't sure. The other son that I mentioned doesn't live here. He was just visiting. Neither one of them knew of the others experience with the touch and the voice. They didn't remain silent about it. They both told me.
In my first post I'm pretty sure I said my son had his head phones at the time he heard the voice. He said it didn't come through the headphones, but into his left ear.

The reason I felt it was my imagination was because that was the most rational explanation, and as far as the dark clothed figure in the bathroom went. I didn't see a hoodie on him. It was just that the figure was all dark so I assumed it was my son wearing a hoodie and dark pants. I didnt' get a clear look at what went into the bathroom. Maybe that was my imagination, or a trick of the light, who knows?

The cat- I know I saw that because I watched it walk down the hallway. There is no way that cat turned around without me seeing it, and not only that, it was fairly close to the door when it just wasn't there any more. There's no where for the cat to go when it's in that part of the hall.
A couple of months before that we had to have my cat Blackie put down.. maybe it was Blackie coming back to visit?

Old 07-29-2012, 04:35 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If you have read any of my post dealing with this subject, you would know I have been involved in the study of afterlife for many years now, and paranormal behavior is part of those studies.
Your statement about seeing someone in a black hoodie going into your bathroom is a bit hard to swallow.
In all my studies, I have never heard of a spirit revealing itself, as though still human, with the material characteristics of a human body.
I have heard of spirits revealing themselves to humans, on many occasions, but in each and every instance, the spirit,though in clothes, is not seen clearly, but in a shroud like,a veil of fog .
Seeing one in a "black" hoodie would most definitely be an unusual sighting.

To understand this, you need to know a little more about the composition of a spirit.
The best way to describe a spirit would be, like a cloud.
It is not matter as we humans know of matter, but rather an aura if you will.
I am not saying you didn't feel something,I am trying to explain what it was you did feel.
It is entirely possible you felt something close to you, but what it was could not have been heavy enough to feel the mattress sag from it's weight.
Remember, the spirit is weightless as the air we breathe, there is no way , even if one were sitting next to you, that you would feel anything other than it's presence, and more often than not, we don't feel that either.
As for feeling a physical reaction, such as the mattress sagging because you felt someone sitting next to you, I highly doubt it.
as a former paranormal investigator myself, taking a bit of umbrage with this post.

there is absolutely no consensus nor is there anything one can call "proof" of the actual composition of spirit. none. pretending to know and informing someone else is disingenuous. self-styled science can be entertaining but i really have a problem with someone claiming to know something they could never actually "know", and then try and dole that out to others as expertise. it implies a credibility which is impossible to prove, and gives weight to your statements that they simply have not earned.

there have been many, many instances of people feeling or seeing a depression on a bed or on a pillow- i would consider that anecdotal evidence. centuries of accounts of people who entered a room and saw a depression on a bed, a couch, a table, or watched them depress before their eyes. this is actually very common. there isn't really any reason to doubt this as, again, there are many instances of this occurring. is she lying about it? that i really doubt. i believe that this happened to her. doubting her story on the basis of doubting this one aspect is puzzling and simply not the mindset of any true researcher into the paranormal. one has to constantly deal with anecdotes. there is, unfortunately, NO proof of the existence of ghosts. this is because we don't have the right tools quite yet. in the meantime, anyone who claims to have proof, or tries to disprove on the basis of their own ephemeral beliefs, is doing a disservice to the field. "proof" has to have some sort of parameters. now, don't get me wrong- i completely believe in ghosts. never had a reason to NOT believe, and have experienced too much. but that doesn't mean i have PROOF that ghosts EXIST. there really is a difference and real, trained investigators know this.

its the same with your statement " In all my studies, I have never heard of a spirit revealing itself, as though still human, with the material characteristics of a human body.". either this was poorly worded and communicated something that isn't clear, or else you have not been studying for long. i would say that at least a third of the sightings i have read about, spoken with others about, classic cases from the past etc have been just this type of manifestation- normal, no clouds, no shrouds, no chains. just someone walking down a hall seen out of the corner of someone's eye. this is a very puzzling statement, and since you are styling yourself as a researcher and someone who "studies", you have to be called on that. again, it could be your wording i am misunderstanding.

ok, now for the OP. what no one has brought up- including our "investigator"- is this question- have you done any remodeling recently? have you made any sort of improvements or redecorated any part of your home? generally spirits tend to get stirred up if things in their environment change. even moving furniture around could cause this. think back- have you moved any large objects in and out of the basement or made any sorts of household changes of that nature?

i am surprised that you didn't instantly connect that cat manifestation with your passed pet. that could be connected.

has your family undergone any sort of stress together recently? anything that could have broken down or thinned your defenses or brought stress (not just everyday life, but cataclysmic). any important anniversaries recently?

if it were just a bunch of strange feelings and some orbs in a photo, i would probably not call it paranormal. but when you are actually feeling something touch you, hearing a voice in your ear, this sounds like it could be an actual manifestation of something. but it doesn't sound AT ALL like anything that would hurt you.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:19 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
as a former paranormal investigator myself, taking a bit of umbrage with this post.

there is absolutely no consensus nor is there anything one can call "proof" of the actual composition of spirit. none. pretending to know and informing someone else is disingenuous. self-styled science can be entertaining but i really have a problem with someone claiming to know something they could never actually "know", and then try and dole that out to others as expertise. it implies a credibility which is impossible to prove, and gives weight to your statements that they simply have not earned.

there have been many, many instances of people feeling or seeing a depression on a bed or on a pillow- i would consider that anecdotal evidence. centuries of accounts of people who entered a room and saw a depression on a bed, a couch, a table, or watched them depress before their eyes. this is actually very common. there isn't really any reason to doubt this as, again, there are many instances of this occurring. is she lying about it? that i really doubt. i believe that this happened to her. doubting her story on the basis of doubting this one aspect is puzzling and simply not the mindset of any true researcher into the paranormal. one has to constantly deal with anecdotes. there is, unfortunately, NO proof of the existence of ghosts. this is because we don't have the right tools quite yet. in the meantime, anyone who claims to have proof, or tries to disprove on the basis of their own ephemeral beliefs, is doing a disservice to the field. "proof" has to have some sort of parameters. now, don't get me wrong- i completely believe in ghosts. never had a reason to NOT believe, and have experienced too much. but that doesn't mean i have PROOF that ghosts EXIST. there really is a difference and real, trained investigators know this.

its the same with your statement " In all my studies, I have never heard of a spirit revealing itself, as though still human, with the material characteristics of a human body.". either this was poorly worded and communicated something that isn't clear, or else you have not been studying for long. i would say that at least a third of the sightings i have read about, spoken with others about, classic cases from the past etc have been just this type of manifestation- normal, no clouds, no shrouds, no chains. just someone walking down a hall seen out of the corner of someone's eye. this is a very puzzling statement, and since you are styling yourself as a researcher and someone who "studies", you have to be called on that. again, it could be your wording i am misunderstanding.

ok, now for the OP. what no one has brought up- including our "investigator"- is this question- have you done any remodeling recently? have you made any sort of improvements or redecorated any part of your home? generally spirits tend to get stirred up if things in their environment change. even moving furniture around could cause this. think back- have you moved any large objects in and out of the basement or made any sorts of household changes of that nature?

i am surprised that you didn't instantly connect that cat manifestation with your passed pet. that could be connected.

has your family undergone any sort of stress together recently? anything that could have broken down or thinned your defenses or brought stress (not just everyday life, but cataclysmic). any important anniversaries recently?

if it were just a bunch of strange feelings and some orbs in a photo, i would probably not call it paranormal. but when you are actually feeling something touch you, hearing a voice in your ear, this sounds like it could be an actual manifestation of something. but it doesn't sound AT ALL like anything that would hurt you.
excellent post.

I would like to point out also that the land the house is built on could very well be inhabited by spirits. Also when/if people buy used or antique furniture there could be spirits attached to that.

No one knows what various forms spirits can and do take on.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:37 PM

Nighthouse66, Thanks so much for your response.

You asked if we did any remodeling and my jaw dropped. It's been non stop remodeling beginning about a year and a half ago.. and that's when things started happening here. We hadn't done anything to the home before this except for painting the rooms. But within the last year, we've torn down walls, remodeled the baths and kitchen, added windows where there were none, ripped up flooring,and broke through into the rental apartment to include that in our living area. We even did a lot of work in the yard ripping out old fencing and decking. We've done a lot of major work here lately.

Family stress.. yes, I won't go into it, but there has been an issue that has upset the whole family. It's made us closer but the stress of the situation is weighing heavily on all of us.

I didn't make the connection to the cat sighting with the cat I had to put down until I wrote it here. If it was my cat Blackie, I can understand that. He was my baby and I cried a river of tears when I had to put him down. He always slept on my bed too. So, it makes sense that it might have been him.

Do you have any theories on what else or who could be here? or are they just random spirits passing by and they want someone to acknowledge that they're here?

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal