Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 PM

23 posts, read 24,361 times

Advertisements

i have found reading this very intresting indeed. I too have experianced a number of things mentioned. Including as im just off too sleep, or shortly after being woken suddely by a noise that i cant explain, infact last night i swear it was a lawn mower or a moterbike! i jumped up, thinking it was in the room, then had a strange feeling like i had just been in my garden! a few nights ago, it was like a wooshing op noise, and that too woke me suddenly, but i hear bangs, crashes, mainly from down stairs, then the next morning can find nothing that could of made the noise.

Also as you mentioned ocpaul 20. OOBE seems very simaler to what i have had since a little kiddy. When i was younger i would always wake up and see a girl that looked like me looking at me next to my bed. I ould say go back to bed... thinking it was my sister, then as i sat up i would see she was in bed. this would frighten me and i would run to my mum and dads room and tell them, they would ignore me. And i remember one night my mum was sat up reading a book, drinking a can of pepsi, and my dad was eating a sandwich, i was shouting at them.. mum look at me.
the next thing i was back in my bed, i would jump up, run in, and they were sat as i had just seen.

I only remeber that one night clear but apparently my parents told me i did this most nights from 5 till around 8 years old.
Now basically i will be falling to sleep, feel floaty, and then black out, (fall asleep i think) then i awaken jumping up, jolting, so hard i have fell of the bed knocked my husband out of bed, and a few times i swear the split second before i see myself. But i always assumed it was my imagination running riot, but reading your post im thinking it may be OOBE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 07:07 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
seeing2thefuture - yes sounds like it. :-) Say to yourself that now you know what it is, that it is not a big deal any more and that you can handle the 'shock' of it that you feel each time you become aware.

It sounds like your mind has probably decided that, since you cannot handle it consciously, it will make you generally unconscious to what goes on at night. If you tell yourself that it is OK, than maybe you will start to become aware again as you used to be.

Remember that there are supposed to be many levels to this and there are just as many different kinds of people out there as there are here, so do not think you are travelling into a heaven-like place. You need to be careful just as you would travelling in an unknown country.

I think it is just the same as here, but we are aware of another 'reality' for a short period of time. For me, the twice I have done it, has given me confidence (perhaps wrongly?) that there is at least one other 'plane of existence' after we finish from this Earthly one. :-)

Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,562 times
Very interesting. I had never heard of this, but I have had this occur I'd say over the past year. A year ago our home was wrecked by a flood, and the emotional and physical stress was unbelievable. In retrospect, these symptoms started occurring after the flood. Mine is always the same- it sounds as if someone punched me in the head to the verge of unconsciousness, and I sometimes get a flash sensation when I was actually afraid to open my eyes because I felt like I've been blinded. It always happens just as I'm drifting into sleep, and only happens once a month or so.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
I just returned from a trip to Asia, and came home to numerous problems that just seem to never get resolved. As a result, even though I had a great trip, now I am overwhelmingly stressed.

I have noticed that I have had a cluster of EHS experiences in the past two weeks. One was the phone ringing, another, oddly, was a door knocker (first time for that) and another was a gunshot blast (first time for that, too) -- which freaked me out!

However, after doing research on this and my doctor knowing I experience this, I didn't have a panic attack! That was such a relief. I actually understood what had happened. I guess it must somehow be related to stress, only I cannot figure out how these actual identifiable sounds occur. It is very weird.

It does seem to happen during stressful periods (even if you don't think you're stressed, but if you evaluate your life situation, you may well be stressed) and they do seem to come shortly after falling asleep or just before waking. Of course, the loud sounds wake you anyway, so not sure really if one is on the verge of waking or not.

I thank all of you for sharing your experiences, because knowing it is not some totally freaky thing (it is freaky, but, obviously, others have it), and it has reduced my panic attacks after they occur.

Such interesting sounds we hear.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I wonder how many people have been labelled schizophrenic among other things, by professionals, when they talked about having this EHS...I have never heard of it till now...
I think this might be what my son was experiencing last year. When he told the doctor that as he was falling asleep he'd suddenly hear loud screaming. The doctor thought he might have schizophrenia and referred him to a shrink.

He never went. The symptoms seemed to resolve themselves. I'll have to forward a link to this thread to him. He'll be relieved to hear he's not alone in this.

Thanks, OP for posting the article.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 6,220 times
Yes people, Guilty of EHS... my symptoms (or more rather the different sounds) are as follows... happens almost every night for the last month.

1. cat meowing
2. sound of rapid fluttering of wings (lasts about a secondish)
3. Homer simpson's infamous D'oh
4. monotonous whistling
5. Thud
6. Crack of lightening (both visual and audio)
7. Screeching of an old unoiled door hinge.

and more to come lol

Old 06-04-2014, 01:14 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
I get so tired of how scientists always want to find labels for things because they don't believe in anything but the material universe. I have heard these noises, and I wouldn't call them head explosions. Sometimes my DH has heard them too, and we can't find anything that has fallen, indoors or out. If you meditate you can also hear sounds.

I have seen ghosts in the in-between state of awake and sleep.

If you have a mystical experience you are said to be delusional and crazy. If you see ghosts in the in-between state of sleep, they say it the hypnogenic state. Scientists never want to believe in the supernatural, although some do. So they make up labels.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:17 PM

10 posts, read 170,615 times
I've had exploding head syndrome once or twice but I find other things like sleep paralysis more common. I have it 3-4 times a week sometimes.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:03 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I wonder how many people have been labelled schizophrenic among other things, by professionals, when they talked about having this EHS...I have never heard of it till now...
A competent diagnostician isn't going to diagnose someone with schizophrenia based on this symptom.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:35 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
My feeling is that exploding head syndrome if similar to vitreous sac detachment: //www.city-data.com/forum/unexp...etachment.html. Except, with the exploding head syndrome, we don't understand the process - but someday we will. There is plenty of information/documentation on exploding head syndrome: Exploding head syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. My wife suffers from this and says she knows the difference because the noise is always on her left side. She feels, because she has always feared electricity, that it is more like a shock to her brain. I have experienced hypnic jerks from time to time in my lifetime: Hypnic jerk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I am sound asleep and experience a muscle spasm in my whole body.

With the vitreous sac detachment we understand the cause. I don't think we totally understand how our bodies adapt to that physical change and eventually accept the change? It sounds as if we know even less about the exploding head syndrome and hypnic jerks.

My feeling is that it is easier to blame all of these on ghost or the unknown - especially if this just happens to you and you have not even heard of these problems before. Before the internet I am sure that many experienced flashes, sound, jerks and thought that they were being contacted or had some form of psychic experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal