Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:58 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

Carson Dean Cheney, was visiting an old cemetery with his parents who were photographing graves.
A tombstone suddenly fell killing the boy.

Aside from being horribly tragic, which it is, is is also very strange.

It seems to me that some spirit might not have appreciated the Cheney's photography and it seems. exacted justice from the grave.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 12:42 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
My thoughts were it sounded like the kid was doing nothing wrong around a very fragile tombstone that happened to break at that time. The child, from what I read, wasn't playing on the stone, he was playing peek a boo from behind it, when it fell on him. The park is trying to mitigate responsibility to avert a lawsuit by saying it's the family's responsibility to maintain the the tombstones.

Sounds confusing.

In other words -- Joe Smith's tombstone fell and the park is saying it was Joe Smith's family's responsibility to maintain the tombstone.... which sounds all well and good, except that this is a very old graveyard and a lot of the interred very probably have no family there anymore that maintain the tombstones.

I mean -- if the Hooversville Cemetery came after me and said it's my responsibility to maintain my 5th great grandfather's grave -- well -- I'd probably do it, but most people would tell them to hit the road. And where does it end? I know where a ton of my family is planted, does that mean I should shell out for everyone? Back to the 1750's?

And if I don't, does that mean the bodies get unplanted and tossed, or worse yet the markers taken down and they are in unmarked graves? I can't express how strongly I feel that is wrong. Hell -- I was wrecked for weeks after I found out my 3rd great grandfather died a POW in a Confederate camp and the website inferred he was buried in an unmarked grave, one amongst many. And I can't tell you how happy I was to find out those graves were disinterred and buried at a National Cemetery with markers and honors.

But I digress....

I honestly think the park will get sued for this. And any park worth it's salt should have a historical preservation group behind it raking up money to keep the stones intact. It's not just genealogical knowledge -- it's preserving our HISTORY.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:17 AM

8,551 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Obviously the op thought this was some sort of paranormal incident, which is why it was posted here.
My thoughts?
It may well have been paranormal activity.
I am not saying it was, just that it may have been.
To what do I base this opinion?
I have studied spirits and their activity for over twenty years now, and an incident such as the one here, is not uncommon.
So we ask, if it was indeed paranormal,why, and how?
Th answer is not that difficult.
First off one needs to know that spirits have been around soon after the creation of the universe.
In all that time, they have made close relationships,as well as enemies.
If this "accident" were a paranormal instance, it may be that the spirit of the child was in direct conflict with the spirit that caused the tombstone to fall.
It may have been the spirit that inhabited one of the parents was in direct conflict with the evil spirit,and removing the son was some sort of payback, if you will.
One must also understand that in the spirit world, there are good, bad, and evil spirits, and many of the actions by them, especially the bad, and evil ones, are as a result of conflict between them.
Bob.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Obviously the op thought this was some sort of paranormal incident, which is why it was posted here.
My thoughts?
It may well have been paranormal activity.
I am not saying it was, just that it may have been.
To what do I base this opinion?
I have studied spirits and their activity for over twenty years now, and an incident such as the one here, is not uncommon.
So we ask, if it was indeed paranormal,why, and how?
Th answer is not that difficult.
First off one needs to know that spirits have been around soon after the creation of the universe.
In all that time, they have made close relationships,as well as enemies.
If this "accident" were a paranormal instance, it may be that the spirit of the child was in direct conflict with the spirit that caused the tombstone to fall.
It may have been the spirit that inhabited one of the parents was in direct conflict with the evil spirit,and removing the son was some sort of payback, if you will.
One must also understand that in the spirit world, there are good, bad, and evil spirits, and many of the actions by them, especially the bad, and evil ones, are as a result of conflict between them.
Bob.
This was pretty much my thinking. It doesn't seem natural at all.

And I agree about the spirits.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:54 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
How about, people should supervise their kids, and not allow them to play "hide and seek" in a cemetery? The child would still be alive if he had been holding his Mom's hand...something to think about.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:25 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
I just see it as an unfortunate accident.....and no one should be sued.

But, it also makes me think that when your time is up.....it's up. It also makes me think of that "Twilight Zone" where a baby was supposed to die in an elevator accident, but someone saved him and he grew up to be Hitler. {I think it was a Twilight Zone....I am not really sure.} Freak accidents like these make you think about weird things.....just to try to make sense of a tragedy. {I am certainly not suggesting that this is the case with this child....just telling a story.}

If anyone should be held responsible it should be the cemetery. After all, they are supposed to maintain the grounds. Even that is a stretch IMO......how many groundskeepers are even qualified to tell if a monument like this is ready to topple? Should we start requiring cemeterys to hire engineers to inspect large momuments that could possibly topple some day? Like having bridges inspected? Who would pay for it? The taxpayers? Relatives....if they can even be found? What would it cost to track down these relatives and make them pay? Who would pay for that?

Then, the next thing ya know.....markers like these will be banned....because of the liability. Should cemetery's send out notices telling relatives that Great ole Uncle Joe's monument has to be removed? Should cemeterys have the power to remove any monument they feel could put them at risk some day? Should people be banned from leaving the roads in a cemetery.....just look at your loved one's grave from a distance? Should the graves be fenced in.....like junkyard cars?

{And I am not talking about a monument that is an obvious danger....that is wobbling or leaning, etc. Cemeterys should be responsible and have the power to do whatever needs to be done in those instances.}

Should relatives be held responsible? Absolutely not. How are relatives who may live thousands of miles away supposed to keep on top of something like this? As far as I know, I could have a long ago relative with a monument like this somewhere.....should I be held responsible for it if I don't even know about it?

Sometime accidents are just that.....accidents.....and no one should be held responsible.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,619 times
My opinion of this incident is...sometimes life is just cruel.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:07 AM

OK. Let me try this once more.

I am not asking about parenting or lawsuits. But "Unexplained Mysteries and the Paranormal".

I know one thing. A cemetery is not a playground. It is a resting place for the dead. It's also a place that; attracts spirits.
Not only the ones who are buried there, but ones who are attracted to places where there is death and where there is a lot of negative energy, generated by grief. That attracts "tag alongs" - spirits attracted to negativity. These can be ghosts - or inhuman spirits. They are not good.

The parents did not use good judgement on a metaphysical level.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:59 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
OK. Let me try this once more.

I am not asking about parenting or lawsuits. But "Unexplained Mysteries and the Paranormal".

I know one thing. A cemetery is not a playground. It is a resting place for the dead. It's also a place that; attracts spirits.
Not only the ones who are buried there, but ones who are attracted to places where there is death and where there is a lot of negative energy, generated by grief. That attracts "tag alongs" - spirits attracted to negativity. These can be ghosts - or inhuman spirits. They are not good.

The parents did not use good judgement on a metaphysical level.
Now -- I don't believe cemeteries do attract spirits. I think the dead freak people out and for very real reasons things happen in cemeteries that freak people out.

I can remember going to the cemetery where my great great grandmother is buried with my father and uncle when I was little. My uncle told me to be careful to not walk on the graves.

My uncle was a sweetie, and he was afraid that might have scared me, so he got on my level and told me it wasn't a scary thing, but a physical thing -- old coffins were made of soft wood and over the years they disintegrated and that left a hole underground and sometimes by walking on the graves, the earth caved in.

Not spooky at all.

Anyway -- the reason I don't think cemeteries are haunted or spirits are attracted to them is that it takes a reason for ghost to occur. A untimely death, a tragic death or murder, unfinished business -- that sort of thing -- and unless the spirit is a graveyard caretaker overlooking his work -- there's no reason for a cemetery to be haunted. Pretty much that's where you're planted and hopefully in a few hundred years your crazy great great pick a number of greats granddaughter is out hunting you down to record your life and take a picture of your headstone.... and yeah -- there is emotion in this. I can't say why -- I don't know these people, but I care about them deeply.

What can I say -- they are family.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Now -- I don't believe cemeteries do attract spirits. I think the dead freak people out and for very real reasons things happen in cemeteries that freak people out.

I can remember going to the cemetery where my great great grandmother is buried with my father and uncle when I was little. My uncle told me to be careful to not walk on the graves.

My uncle was a sweetie, and he was afraid that might have scared me, so he got on my level and told me it wasn't a scary thing, but a physical thing -- old coffins were made of soft wood and over the years they disintegrated and that left a hole underground and sometimes by walking on the graves, the earth caved in.

Not spooky at all.

Anyway -- the reason I don't think cemeteries are haunted or spirits are attracted to them is that it takes a reason for ghost to occur. A untimely death, a tragic death or murder, unfinished business -- that sort of thing -- and unless the spirit is a graveyard caretaker overlooking his work -- there's no reason for a cemetery to be haunted. Pretty much that's where you're planted and hopefully in a few hundred years your crazy great great pick a number of greats granddaughter is out hunting you down to record your life and take a picture of your headstone.... and yeah -- there is emotion in this. I can't say why -- I don't know these people, but I care about them deeply.

What can I say -- they are family.

And the flip side of your thinking is, that spirits go where ever, and when ever there is a need.
Perhaps if this "accident" were planed by some evil spirit, it knew exactly where, and when these people would be in that cemetery.
We obviously will never know, and perhaps that is the way it is meant to be.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal