U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 AM

127 posts, read 177,208 times

Advertisements

Haha yes! My friend and I was walking in LA late one night going home from a bar.. it was around 11:45pm and I pointed out that lights always shut off when I walk by.. she said it must've been a coincidence, then the next one shut off, and the next, and the next, and the next, until 4 lights were off.. still no explanation for this but I do believe I cause some kind of interference because this isn't the first time it has happened.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 08:43 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,729,101 times
Thanks for the stories guys!

Haven't kept up with them as I should have, eye surgery and all. Fortunately, the lights stayed on!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:43 PM

20,829 posts, read 26,138,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Thanks for the stories guys!

Haven't kept up with them as I should have, eye surgery and all. Fortunately, the lights stayed on!
Pam, why is this called SLIder phenomena?

I have had issues with electric all of my life. My watches need a new battery every two months. Every one I've ever owned.

Electric light bulbs explode or burn out way earlier than one would expect.

In HS an boyfriend had some device that measured electricity and electrical waves. It was for cars I think.

He put it up to me and it went up to ten I think.

I have also had phone phenomena all of my life. But nothing with street lights.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:52 PM

6,570 posts, read 9,895,375 times
It's for Street Light Interference (SLI).

I've had it happen to me a lot too, esp. during times of stress. Not on a regular basis though and not lately (though I am stressed, lol)

Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,729,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Pam, why is this called SLIder phenomena?

I have had issues with electric all of my life. My watches need a new battery every two months. Every one I've ever owned.

Electric light bulbs explode or burn out way earlier than one would expect.

In HS an boyfriend had some device that measured electricity and electrical waves. It was for cars I think.

He put it up to me and it went up to ten I think.

I have also had phone phenomena all of my life. But nothing with street lights.
Oops! Probably should have explained that huh?

Why the powers that be decided to call this the SLIder phenomenon is a mystery. It truly, as you well know, encompasses so much more.

Thanks for sharing and thanks to Nora's Mom for explaining.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:19 AM
'M'

1,852 posts, read 2,794,701 times
I'm going to hafta give this some thought! On occasion, I have noticed street lights go out, but always thought it was the mercury vapor in them that was being used up, or something like that. Never thought about the fact that it could be a "phenomenon". Hmmm... ???...(this is the wheel in my brain turning, trying to figure this out

Old 12-17-2014, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 841 times
This has happened to me since I was little. Tungsten light bulbs would last maybe a month the pop loud when I flipped the switch. Cd players in cars mess up. Auto locks in cars mess up when I'm in the car. Of course the streetlight thing. Self check-out lanes are not an option for me. And now the vapor tanks for e-gigs last 3-4 days tops. Watch batteries, maybe 2 weeks. So very frustrating!!

Old 12-18-2014, 04:56 PM

12,445 posts, read 12,368,917 times
Occam's Razor comes to mind here (or maybe Clarke's third law).

Old 12-31-2014, 06:10 AM

95 posts, read 86,816 times
its my understanding the the lights will go out when the balester gets hot, it shuts the light off to give it a chance to cool down. I lived where the light in front of my house would do this all night long. it would make my livingroom darker and in a little while the light would come back on. I have driven past plenty of lights that shut off as im approaching them but know the reason for it. the basester inside the light.
so for me mystery solved lol if you google it it will explain why it happens. lol

Old 05-19-2015, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 607 times
over the yrs.ive learned my emotions are the trigger of the wierd occurences around me. anger rose in me once, when i released it my neighborhood went black thats when i started paying attention to my emotions. looking back as i was put in a situation i became terrorfied, at the same time there was a tulsa blackout. during happiness, playing with the kids as i walked under our street light, stood it went out, my daughter said back in the yard mom we dont wanna play in the dark. lol once a was far enough away the light came back on..different with each emotion.. the effects around me. ive effected t.v.s, computers, cars, phones. when my emotions are controlled nothing acts up. ive also had unusual dreams of throwing fire and lightening from my hands.. any one else having those? in the dream i was taking on many, winning with my unusual powers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal