U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 05:50 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,415,549 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of people who use this phrase. I think it stems from an old teaching about an earlier form of us (on a different plane) having been some sort of hermaphrodite which split during some evolutionary process into male and female and so when you find your other half it is your 'soulmate'.

I think it is hokum, or at the very least, people use the term very loosely. I say this because there are so many people who have ended up divorced from their soulmates and then the new character they have married is also called a soulmate.

I believe people today just think, for the moment, they are very synchronized with another person.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:39 PM

8 posts, read 10,985 times
I haven't heard the hermaphrodite theory, but I've heard similar things (mostly not gender specific though).

I'm skeptical as well, but I like to keep an open mind at least, if anything, because it's a nice idea. I know I've found someone who I feel is perfect for me in every way, on a deeper level than everyday life/activities or having material things in common. We met under strange circumstances, too, and strange timing.

It could be that there IS one soul mate out there for each of us, and many others who come very close (synchronized). Someone told me that once and it seemed to resonate with me.

As far as what you said about people who divorce their soul mates, it could be that if there is a such thing as a soul mate, they simply think that person is their soul mate when in truth they are not.

Anyway I see where you're coming from though, but like I said, I'd like it to be true, so it's nice to speculate about and who knows, there may actually be something to it since there is so much we do not understand about the universe.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 PM

25,972 posts, read 28,300,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There are a lot of people who use this phrase. I think it stems from an old teaching about an earlier form of us (on a different plane) having been some sort of hermaphrodite which split during some evolutionary process into male and female and so when you find your other half it is your 'soulmate'.

I think it is hokum, or at the very least, people use the term very loosely. I say this because there are so many people who have ended up divorced from their soulmates and then the new character they have married is also called a soulmate.

I believe people today just think, for the moment, they are very synchronized with another person.
This is a subject I not only experienced myself, but I was schooled in it. First of all, yes, people do use the term loosely and often inaccurately. Your soulmate may often times be someone who is not a romantic interest, rather any person in your life in a general way. It may even be your best friend or a co-worker - anyone. I IM with someone who is married and she is well aware of it and even participates in the conversation by having him type something to me. I believe this person is a soulmate or as some may put it 'a brother from another mother.' I have no romantic interests in this man and vice versa. We are more like brother and sister and just the idea of anything on a romantic level screams incest.

Often times it is our soulmate who may teach us some of the hardest lessons in life and it may not always be pretty. Just because these people got married or divorced does not mean they were not soulmates. These experiences teach us a lot about ourselves and the more aware we become and learn of ourselves the closer we reach contentment and happiness.

I also believe you can have more than one 'soulmate' in life -even simultaneously.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,027,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
This is a subject I not only experienced myself, but I was schooled in it. First of all, yes, people do use the term loosely and often inaccurately. Your soulmate may often times be someone who is not a romantic interest, rather any person in your life in a general way. It may even be your best friend or a co-worker - anyone. I IM with someone who is married and she is well aware of it and even participates in the conversation by having him type something to me. I believe this person is a soulmate or as some may put it 'a brother from another mother.' I have no romantic interests in this man and vice versa. We are more like brother and sister and just the idea of anything on a romantic level screams incest.

Often times it is our soulmate who may teach us some of the hardest lessons in life and it may not always be pretty. Just because these people got married or divorced does not mean they were not soulmates. These experiences teach us a lot about ourselves and the more aware we become and learn of ourselves the closer we reach contentment and happiness.

I also believe you can have more than one 'soulmate' in life -even simultaneously.
total agreement with this! also, weirdly,i believe even a nemesis in your life can be a soul mate, someone who is supposed to either teach or learn with you in a situation that you couldn't learn otherwise, one of those karmic things you can't avoid. i have had a few people in my life who run against me over and over again and funnily enough, at the end, i grow. and a couple of these people have been in my life for most of my life. it isn't always romance, it could be your mom, your sister. my sis is definitely my soul mate! i thank god for her every day, best sister ever, and i always like to joke that her friends are lucky, but i am the luckiest, because we have the same blood! she legally has to love me : )

Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,747,801 times
The soul-mate, split in two theory comes from Plato.
Soul Mates - Philosophy

I think we have soulmates, which has also been called twin flames. I think there can be many in a lifetime as that not all are of a romantic nature. I think that most marriages that end with divorces and those called 'soulmates' are bad calls. But sometimes we are only to be with a person for a certain amount of time...then it's time to move on.
Sometimes we can't be with our soulmates, and that is very hard.

I think the soulmate experience is dependent on the individual. Are they aware and wait, or just in love with the idea and jumps at anything that looks good.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,555,375 times
Hmmmmmmm soul mates....I think it's more of a synonym for couples that get along.....with that in mind, maybe a primer of sorts on catchy phrases often confused with basic terms commonly found in said relationships.....

Soulmates: Two that are currently getting along and those within said union are comfortable enough and confident enough to espouse such confidence in public should anyone care to listen. Soulmates is the adult way of saying I wuv you snooky wookums or some other such diabetic syrup inducing swill.

Significant other: usually employed by those with considerable reservations albeit, diplomatically delivered. Typically on the verge of an emotional jihad if given half a chance. One dirty dish or messy bathroom vanity laden with all that Lancome has to offer....away....from a domestic nuclear holocaust....

We are seeing others: roughly translated, one of us got smoked by the other and while we are now vengefully "dating" the heck out of anothr.....and yet.....the hurt just can't quite go away despite our best efforts of "dating" said newcomer as physically as possible......"banging like a screen door in a tornado" comes to mind.......... or words to that effect...

He gets me: "he" of course being the one who currently knows ALL of your faults and this is a veiled comment which basically means, "god I trust him and man how I hope this doesn't come up in a conversation with his buddies...same for the video(s)"......

He/she is so supportive......he/she is the most economically and/or emotionally stable and best deal you currently have before you but, are open to "suggestions".....

We are working on it: This means we are both sneaking about e-harmony, friends co-workers and drunk bar keeps in the hopes of finding greener pastures.....

We knave separated: real or legally imagined, we are through and it is only a matter of time before we are arguing over the crock pot, microwave oven and plasma tv with intermittent sound......we are just too tired and options too few at the moment to take the relation to the next level....exit

Soulmates? Nah.....no soul or mate about it.....probably the romance shortly after the courtship where most things are going well in your life as well as your mate.....if only for awhile....rage against the dying of this light as the remainder is never quite as bright....

Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,730,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
The soul-mate, split in two theory comes from Plato.
Soul Mates - Philosophy

I think we have soulmates, which has also been called twin flames. I think there can be many in a lifetime as that not all are of a romantic nature. I think that most marriages that end with divorces and those called 'soulmates' are bad calls. But sometimes we are only to be with a person for a certain amount of time...then it's time to move on.
Sometimes we can't be with our soulmates, and that is very hard.

I think the soulmate experience is dependent on the individual. Are they aware and wait, or just in love with the idea and jumps at anything that looks good.
I think you pretty much nailed it.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 AM

6,956 posts, read 8,661,595 times
The words "soul" "mates" says it all.
Soul mates are souls (spirits) that have always been close, not only in a human existence, but in the spirit world as well.
One needs to remember, each and every one of us on this earth has a soul within us.
It lived long before it became us, and will continue to live long after we as humans are dead.
Friendships made in the spirit world are eternal.
When two humans seem to be "soul mates", that is exactly what they are.
Bob.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:07 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,265,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post

I totally agree. For example two of my sisters are definitely SMs. They are Irish twins ( born in less than a year apart and look alot alike petite builds, fair complexion but one of them is a blonde and the other a redhead) and have been living together since 1987. The blonde has been married twice , four children-one son and one daughter from EACH husband. She lost her first to cancer when he was only 27 and the second she had to divorce him ( a mutual descision on both parts) because he has a progressively fatal illness ( Huntingdon's Disease) cause he did not want to saddle her with she having to take care of him. He has a caregiver that tends to his needs but she still checks on him and make sure he is doing okay cosidering the circumstances. The redhead never married nor had any desire to marry with no kids of her own but helped my blonde sister to raise her four children ( e younger two are now teenagers 16 and 18 and the older two are grown 29 and 31)). The two girls have been so close since they learned to walk and talk, sometimes even shared the same childhood friends and when I was a child I could not be able to bond to them as much as I wanted to and that sometimes hurt .Now that I look back on it their bond was so strong that no one else could penetrate- the blonde had been married twice but both of the husbands only were there for a just a time and none of the other siblings were never interested in that bond -two other sisters ( due to differences in age ) and four brothers ( boys being boys). However I was only 3 and 4 years older and IMO wasn't that big deal of an age difference. If any two were soul mates it would be those two and I cannot rule them out being Twin Flames that decided to incarnate in the same timeline and family.. Even TFs don't neccessarily have to be in a romantic and marital manner.They don't have to be even the opposite sex. Another example is yesterday when I saw an episode on TLC's Baby Story. The family featured reminded so much of another family that I knew 30s ago. Both mothers were darkhaired Italians with petite but stocky builds-not fat, not very attractive with somewhat homely but good stable husbands also of Italian descent but lighter colorings. They both had three year old sons when their daughters were born ( the tv episode featured the birth of the one daughter) and both the boys had trouble adjusting to their respective new baby sisters. Both girls were given ultra girly names- Danielle was the name of the baby in the family I knew 30 years back and Francesca is the name of the baby on featured on the show and both mothers had long hair that they cut short. The boys were both named after their dads. Both families live in traditional Italian and very urban areas in apartments in brownstone buildings - the family I knew lived and still lives in South Philadelphia and the family featured on TBS lives in Hoboken NJ! Both moms are/were stay at home while both dads were blue collar. The show was filmed around 2005 and the baby in the family I knew was born in 1980 approximately 25 years apart. Talk about coincidences- I believe these families may be cosmically connected big time and I would not be surprised if Soul Mates or even Twin Flames are involved!

Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 PM

11,578 posts, read 14,617,760 times
Cosmic hermaphrodite? Not my train of thought. Maybe fated encounter With another kindred soul possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal