U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-26-2012, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 17,408,537 times
Reputation: 8841

Advertisements

We know, mostly from movies, that the Catholic religion does have exorcism rituals and sometimes they appear to work. I don't know if it is showmanship, but I heard on the radio, for a bit, some fundie Christian pastor who seemed to travel around Texas having great tent events and exorcising unwanted influences from people.

Other, non Christian, religions must have procedures, too. I cannot fathom that Judaism ignores this topic, or Islam, for that matter.
Certainly, Hinduism must address the subject, as well as Pagans and Wiccans.
I am not sure about Buddhism, though, but there are different schools of Buddhism - some eat meat, some do not; some believe in a God, and some leave it up to what the individual is comfortable with.

It would be interesting to read what various religions thought these influences are, how they came about, and what will discourage them from hanging about.

Does anyone have anything to say about this interesting topic?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2012, 12:41 PM
 
Location: playing in the colorful Colorado dirt
4,486 posts, read 4,728,400 times
Reputation: 6991
I was a fundy, I escaped. Lol

Seriously, I don't buy it for a minute.

Consider the mindset of fundamentalists, anything that deviates from what they consider to be appropriate "Christian" behavior is due to a demonic influence or attack. Just go to the religion forum and read.

My spouse is an abusive alcoholic. Do we blame his addictive personality, the alcohol ? Nope, demons done it!

I'm married, another man smiled at me and I liked it. Yep! It's those pesky demons again!

I'm horny! Oh no, it's not a hormonal surge, it's a demonic attack.

Don't even get me started on the "We were attacked by twin 80' tall invisible demons on the way to church" Youtube videos.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 12:49 PM
 
Location: California
5,408 posts, read 6,165,190 times
Reputation: 11210
I don't know a lot about the Hindu religion but my understanding is that there is no real good or evil and people are just the way they are supposed to be. In this universe, you earn good karma by doing good deeds to/for others. In the absence of good karma, you will come back again to learn the lessons you didn't learn the first time. I hope I can get it right the first time as I've had enough this time around.

And then we saw the true demonic attack on 9/11!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Status: "Joy cometh in the morning" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
20,829 posts, read 26,131,683 times
Reputation: 56087
The Jewish Religion performs exorcisms - the more traditional and conservative branches.

In fact there is a film that will be released soon called "The Possession" which is based on a true story.

It involves a cabinet that was taken to LA by a concentration camp survivor. It contained a rock, some hair and an evil spirit - a Dybbuk. A ten year old girl some how comes in contact with it and becomes possessed. The story was first reported in the LA Times. The girl was a member of the Chabad branch of Judaism.

I do believe that possession is possible and real. I do not believe that all bad behavior can be blamed on demons, however. But there are spirits that do not like us and are malicious.

In the Jewish religion they are called Dybbuks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
11,569 posts, read 14,603,598 times
Reputation: 17932
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The Jewish Religion performs exorcisms - the more traditional and conservative branches.

In fact there is a film that will be released soon called "The Possession" which is based on a true story.

It involves a cabinet that was taken to LA by a concentration camp survivor. It contained a rock, some hair and an evil spirit - a Dybbuk. A ten year old girl some how comes in contact with it and becomes possessed. The story was first reported in the LA Times. The girl was a member of the Chabad branch of Judaism.

I do believe that possession is possible and real. I do not believe that all bad behavior can be blamed on demons, however. But there are spirits that do not like us and are malicious.

In the Jewish religion they are called Dybbuks.
I have Jewish background and have heard of this before seeing the trailer of the film, which looks great. I am a bit skeptic on possession however in IRL. Have not heard of the actual case the film is based on.

It's a Jewish "The Exorcist". I want to see this film.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Status: "Joy cometh in the morning" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
20,829 posts, read 26,131,683 times
Reputation: 56087
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I have Jewish background and have heard of this before seeing the trailer of the film, which looks great. I am a bit skeptic on possession however in IRL. Have not heard of the actual case the film is based on.

It's a Jewish "The Exorcist". I want to see this film.
Me too! I'm psyched for this one. Kyra Sedgewick is in it - she's a good actress. Also part Jewish and a distant cousin of doomed debutant Andy Warhol devotee, Edie Sedgewick, who had quite a few paranormal experiences herself while living in NYC's Hotel Chelsea.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 49,148,876 times
Reputation: 11862
Yes Exorcism is big business among certain Christian circles, especially Pentacostals, Southern Baptists, and other fundamentalist non-denominational groups. It's also prevalent among many Catholics, the Philippines, for instance, is pretty well known for exorcisms and faith healing.

Most 'Bible believing' Christians do believe that people can be possessed by spirits or 'fallen angels' known as demons (as was in the Bible). Many believe any believer can cast out an evil spirit in the name of Jesus, in fact my father said he personally witnessed and participated in exorcisms himself. I haven't witnessed it myself to make any judgements, but certainly, a lot of it is mental disorder.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Status: "Joy cometh in the morning" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
20,829 posts, read 26,131,683 times
Reputation: 56087
Most of it is a mental disorder. We know this today and fortunately are no longer drilling holes into the skulls of the mentally ill to let the demons out.

HOWEVER, possession is real and can happen. I know people who have been present at exorcisms.

You don't need to be religious in a conventional way to acknowledge the possibility that if there are angels or good spirits and a Supreme being, that the converse must also exist.

There are some very crazy people out there who want to take no responsibility for their actions and blame it on the devil. There are equally crazy people who want to call every malady a demon. Pentecostal Christians do this.

Then there are sane people who realize that this event is real and cross culturally observed and recorded. It is also rare.

One may open doors and permit or invite evil spirits into their life (obsession) and into their body - possession.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 10:32 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 49,148,876 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Most of it is a mental disorder. We know this today and fortunately are no longer drilling holes into the skulls of the mentally ill to let the demons out.

HOWEVER, possession is real and can happen. I know people who have been present at exorcisms.

You don't need to be religious in a conventional way to acknowledge the possibility that if there are angels or good spirits and a Supreme being, that the converse must also exist.

There are some very crazy people out there who want to take no responsibility for their actions and blame it on the devil. There are equally crazy people who want to call every malady a demon. Pentecostal Christians do this.

Then there are sane people who realize that this event is real and cross culturally observed and recorded. It is also rare.

One may open doors and permit or invite evil spirits into their life (obsession) and into their body - possession.
Have you witnessed anything that convinced you of the reality of demonic possession?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Status: "Joy cometh in the morning" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
20,829 posts, read 26,131,683 times
Reputation: 56087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Have you witnessed anything that convinced you of the reality of demonic possession?

Yes.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top