U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 PM

20,856 posts, read 26,268,518 times

Advertisements

"The Possession" a film staring Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Clyde, Kyra Sedgwick as Stephanie, rapper / actor Matisyahu as Tzadok the son of a Hasidic Rabbi, is an interesting take on the topic of possession.

Stephanie and Clyde are recently divorced and the parents of two daughters Hannah and Emily. Dad gets them on weekends. Mom dates an orthodondist when dad visits the kids in a subdivision that looks eerily like the one in "Poltergeist".

He takes them to a yard sale where Emily is attracted to a carved box that contains more than she bargained for.

I thought it was good. Moody. Realistic. Formulaic? Yes it's a possession genre movie so it is.

But good all the same.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 05:51 PM

21,691 posts, read 19,454,324 times
I thought it had a different take on possession, a jewish instead of catholic. But still didn't seem to break any new ground.
There was a pretty good movie that dealt with chinese ghosts and demons involving a young boy and a long covered up crime in china town. I thought that was new and different. It sure beat the crappy Grudge movies.
They also need to stop rehashing the same old tired zombie movie plots over and over and over and over and OVER and offer something new. I just watched a few minutes of Zombieland and I can't see how anybody thought that wasn't lame. The same goes for vampires and werewolves.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:59 PM

20,856 posts, read 26,268,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I thought it had a different take on possession, a jewish instead of catholic. But still didn't seem to break any new ground.
There was a pretty good movie that dealt with chinese ghosts and demons involving a young boy and a long covered up crime in china town. I thought that was new and different. It sure beat the crappy Grudge movies.
They also need to stop rehashing the same old tired zombie movie plots over and over and over and over and OVER and offer something new. I just watched a few minutes of Zombieland and I can't see how anybody thought that wasn't lame. The same goes for vampires and werewolves.
No, not groundbreaking but pretty smart and watchable. The psalm of protection is one that I often say.

I have also seen a possession movie from a Protestant point of view. "The Last Exorcism" involving a Pentecostal preacher and a young girl. I thought that was uninteresting also.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:28 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,398,704 times
Saw it as well, a Jewish version of The Exorcist....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal