Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 08:09 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
You may have a problem when you expect history to be scientifically validated and when does history become speculation or just plain old fabrication. Once we acknowledge our kids are being indocrinated with false information, nothing is safe from political and nationalistic biases any more. Unfortunately I guess it is easier to turn a blind eye to it all rather than fight for the reality of it.
Fight for the reality of what? The naive belief that the earth is hollow which is a physical impossibility contradicted (as I've pointed out) by massive amounts of seismic data? Do you just like to argue with people for the sake of arguing?

Last edited by Vasily; 10-29-2018 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 09:33 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The shows are interesting; but they are shows. They depend on ratings and they play for ratings. They have a vested interest in the products they produce. I think it is a safe assumption to say that humans will lie for money. It does not make the information they provide 'true'. Many times they dismiss the abilities of our ancient ancestors and claim they were not capable of the architecture; but that is speculation since we don't have time machines.

What is good about the program is that it does show videos from areas that many 'exploration' programs have not covered. That part is interesting!

Well, we already know what the "other" side says - about archeology and dates and times and what some old sites/items mean. So, this show shows an alternative view.

It would not be as interesting if itw as just 2 guys arguing over a viewpoint. But, they also don't list their ideas as fact, fact, fact. So, I see nothing wrong with the show.

I have bought a few books because of the show as well

Old 10-29-2018, 11:39 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Well, we already know what the "other" side says - about archeology and dates and times and what some old sites/items mean. So, this show shows an alternative view.

It would not be as interesting if itw as just 2 guys arguing over a viewpoint. But, they also don't list their ideas as fact, fact, fact. So, I see nothing wrong with the show.

I have bought a few books because of the show as well
Which is exactly what they want you to do or to tune in for the ratings. The problem is that it is about money. Would you make a program that would hurt your bottom line? It is very hard to not be bias and impartial if the food on your table (your living) comes from your job and, there is a chance that you might not have a job, if it looks like your not sure or have doubts about your beliefs.

You aren't doing anything wrong. You enjoy the show, please, continue to do so. I just want people to question anything and everything if there is money involved. If we did not we would all have deeds for the Brooklyn Bridge!

Old 10-29-2018, 10:48 PM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Quote:
You aren't doing anything wrong. You enjoy the show, please, continue to do so. I just want people to question anything and everything if there is money involved. If we did not we would all have deeds for the Brooklyn Bridge!
And if there is not money involved there is usually some other reson for doing it. Scientists work for money too you know, and if they work in an area which is unpopular, then they do not get so many opportunities for funding. Why are scientists more squeaky-clean than others such as TV program producers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily
Do you just like to argue with people for the sake of arguing?
You can have your say, so what makes you more correct than others?

I was just pointing out that history is manipulated to the extreme and archeology is made up from best-guesses. Would you rather I dont mention this and perhaps folk should believe it all as the 'truth' as to what happened in bygone days?

Old 10-30-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
And if there is not money involved there is usually some other reson for doing it. Scientists work for money too you know, and if they work in an area which is unpopular, then they do not get so many opportunities for funding. Why are scientists more squeaky-clean than others such as TV program producers?
Because with science you have a scientific method. Your work will be reviewed and, if it does not have the evidence to support its claims, it will not be accepted. We have had scientist that have been dethroned because their claims did not hold up. With a TV program, like Ancient Aliens, they keep saying this is my theory without any proof. Then they compound it with more so called theories. Even if 1% of what they claim is true; how can we ever determined which 1%? And that is the difference.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:05 AM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Because with science you have a scientific method. Your work will be reviewed and, if it does not have the evidence to support its claims, it will not be accepted. We have had scientist that have been dethroned because their claims did not hold up. With a TV program, like Ancient Aliens, they keep saying this is my theory without any proof. Then they compound it with more so called theories. Even if 1% of what they claim is true; how can we ever determined which 1%? And that is the difference.
I look on Ancient Aliens as intriguing entertainment. They make some valid points that really are obvious (how did the Egyptians manipulate those giant blocks? How were the stones shaped so well in certain structures?) but tend to jump to huge conclusions (such as, everything to David Childers is due to "extra terrestrials"). I just enjoy watching it, maybe because it's so far out there.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I look on Ancient Aliens as intriguing entertainment. They make some valid points that really are obvious (how did the Egyptians manipulate those giant blocks? How were the stones shaped so well in certain structures?) but tend to jump to huge conclusions (such as, everything to David Childers is due to "extra terrestrials"). I just enjoy watching it, maybe because it's so far out there.
I also enjoy watching some of their programs because I see locations that I have not seen in other programs or on the internet. Then I can do my own research after this first 'introduction'. Here is a YouTube video from Brien Foerster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tFkqMcheao

Once you see sites like this it really makes you wonder. Of course we always have to keep in mind the age of our planet and how long humans have existed. What makes Puma Punku so special is that they have not recovered any of the tools they used; hopefully, with future excavations, they will learn how the ancients accomplished this amazing stone work.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:28 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
I also enjoy watching some of their programs because I see locations that I have not seen in other programs or on the internet. Then I can do my own research after this first 'introduction'. Here is a YouTube video from Brien Foerster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tFkqMcheao

Once you see sites like this it really makes you wonder. Of course we always have to keep in mind the age of our planet and how long humans have existed. What makes Puma Punku so special is that they have not recovered any of the tools they used; hopefully, with future excavations, they will learn how the ancients accomplished this amazing stone work.
Yes, Puma Punku is really one of the interesting ones. How did they cut stone with such precision when they really had no tools, and certainly no power tools, at the time? And what were those precision blocks used for? And why are they just laying around everywhere?I suppose we really don't know how advanced those people were, but apparently they had a few things on the ball.

I just find things like that intriguing, and marvel at the things people got done with very few tools. Lots of brute force I suppose, and no "snowflakes" that were allergic to work.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes, Puma Punku is really one of the interesting ones. How did they cut stone with such precision when they really had no tools, and certainly no power tools, at the time? And what were those precision blocks used for? And why are they just laying around everywhere?I suppose we really don't know how advanced those people were, but apparently they had a few things on the ball.

I just find things like that intriguing, and marvel at the things people got done with very few tools. Lots of brute force I suppose, and no "snowflakes" that were allergic to work.
That YouTube is long, I think its about 45 minutes. But is well worth watching. At least the moderator is not crediting ancient aliens every second; but he is puzzled as to how they ever carved the stones. He does believe that a major natural disaster killed all the stone builders at the same time. He talks about the thick mud deposits that buried that site.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:39 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
You do know that a U.S. President once backed the idea of exploring it?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...rth-180955203/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal