U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,377,176 times

Advertisements

I don't want this to end up in the Religious sections, but relevant background is that I was raised in a very tight knit, Biblical-literalist small church (which condemned all supernatural anything as either garbage or demonic activity,) but I now lean towards agnosticism.

I had an incident when I was a kid, living in an old Victorian in Canastota, New York. I have mostly suppressed it, and at this reach (20 years) I can't really say if my memory is accurate, or not. I'm not going to describe it, here, both since that really isn't the point and since I don't know if I'm remembering exactly right.

So what all of this rambling is getting around to is to ask: for those of you who lived for years not "believing" in ghosts, or spirits, or energies, or the afterlife, or supernatural beings etc- what caused you to change your views? Was it one particular spooky event, or years that finally wore down your skepticism?

It would be so very comforting to think that those who have died still exist in some fashion, and add a lot of meaning to life. I do demand proof, and laud science, in most areas of my life, but I am drawn to this idea that there is more than just our biology.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 PM

854 posts, read 852,042 times
When I was thirteen I saw one day an object floating in the air...in close proximity to a person nearby. "Impossible", I thought. Such an object does not exist, I was thinking.

And worse, I was thirteen. Who was I going to tell or ask about this? No one. So I decided to shelve the experience.

A week later I saw the same 'impossible' object again.

I had a few other 'experiences' over the years but did not change my thinking overall about the Para/Meta/Super until, in 2007, at the age of 56, I saw that same object again!

Hah!

I decided to pursue this....by learning to see the Aura, hoping something would come from that.

And it has.

It even turns out I can do something unexplainable by looking at pictures and looking at the aura of the person/animal in the picture.

I've also since communicated with someone haunting a friend's house.

So, the answer to your question is 'seeing is believing'.

Paul

Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM

6,925 posts, read 8,629,407 times
Up until the time my partner died (21 years ago) I had never even thought about the after life or spirits, or anything else concerning paranormal.
I did have a paranormal experience years before, but I never related it to anything important.
What changed my beliefs was the passing of my partner.
About three months after his passing, a group of friends and I were discussing his life when he was here.
They were all aware of just how much I missed him, and one asked if I believed in the afterlife.
At that point I had never really thought about it.
She suggested that I read books about it, and suggested one in particular.
It is titled, "Life after Death", by Raymond Moody.
I picked it up and was amazed at things in the book.
Things I had never considered.
That book got me interested in EVP, and as they say, the rest is history.
Because of my continuing research, and experiments, I know for sure there is an afterlife.
Bob.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,409,655 times
It's like they say... "Seeing is believing". I'm a mostly atheistic guy with an Anthropology degree; I've always had an interest in UFOs since I was a kid but I didn't spend too much time thinking about ghosts.

Anyway, a few years ago we jumped into my dream of restoring an old house and soon discovered reality doesn't always apply there. I've still never seen a UFO, but I think I've seen just about everything else except Bigfoot and Nessie at my place...

Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM

35,104 posts, read 44,287,600 times
I known since I was about 3 years old that I have always been different than all the others I knew. Never have been accused of being like anyone else out there. I have seen, felt and heard spirits for as long as I can remember.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,391,726 times
I always just did, as long as I can remember. I've felt lots of things. I believed in things like reincarnation before I knew the correct word. Afterlife, the same. I have no clue why because nobody taught me I just always knew it to be true even before I could put it into words.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,339,151 times
I would like to believe the ghost of my mother still hovers around me, that there are evil spirits floating around in this world but alas in the 50 years since she died and traveling around the globe I have never experienced any paranormal incidents....

I think I see black wispy shapes in my apartment but I attribute that to old age....

Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 PM

42,762 posts, read 47,305,940 times
I was brainwashed by our church. Then as I got older I believed there has to be something good in this world. Then i got into Psychics and the mystics. Very interesting take on the other side.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 PM

15,977 posts, read 10,534,175 times
I do believe in ghosts. A friends wife used to run a antique store in downtown Plymouth and it was on the towns ghost tour and you would never know what might happen when you looked in the windows after hours. I heard reports of things moving around the store and hearing sounds and having feelings. A real haunting.
In my own experience, a house in my family for over 100 years and yes people had died there. The house was a summer place that the whole family used but no one had actually lived their in decades. One night I was there with a girlfriend and planning to "make out' when the hair on the back of my neck and a terrible feeling of dread came over me to the point where we left the house and as we were leaving I would have sworn someone was looking down from a upstairs window. Scary.
I do believe.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:46 PM

96 posts, read 154,655 times
I am a Christian, so I always believed in an afterlife, but had not experienced anything paranormal until we moved to our house 7 years ago. After experiencing it for myself (it's on another post about would you ever buy a haunted house), I definitely believe in spirits roaming the earth. I believe in lost human spirits and demons. Sometimes, I believe, the bad can impersonate the good. Once you experience it for yourself in some way, shape, or form, you will believe. And the exact truth about how it all happens, or what exactly transpires after death, we will not know for sure until we arrive there ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal