Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

If your spouse or significant other does not share your metaphysical views, how do you cope?

NLVgal mentioned that her husband is an atheist and will jump through hoops to not believe the psychic evidence witnessed by his own senses.
My own husband watches 'The Atheist Experience' ( The Atheist Experience TV Show ) on his computer and, although he usually backs down when I tell him of my experiences because I tend to be very logical and share his disdain for religious dogma and he knows I don't lie to him, he really, really, really seems to detest ALL mediums like Edwards, Van Praagh, and that Long Island woman.

I like atheists as well as religious people, but think both are too extreme which makes me think that each is fearful of something, running away.

The weird thing about my husband is that he still considers himself a Christian and will go to church occasionally, while I do not and will not. He thinks religions do a lot of good in the world and have an overall positive influence on society. I could not go and be a hypocrite.

People are funny. We can, evidently, live with incongruity.

I believe in an afterlife, know there are spiritual beings, but am not sure at all if there is a god.
I think of some of these beings as 'aliens' - irrespective if their home is on another dimension or another planet. Some are probably where the concept of angels came from, maybe of Greek and Roman gods.

How do your ideas differ (or are alike) compared to those closest to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 12:11 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
People are funny. We can, evidently, live with incongruity.
(Big snip)
This is what makes us different from computers. Our ability to think sideways or shrug off things that don't make sense.

A computer sees something broken in the logic and throws an error. Humans say "That's weird" and move on.

I guess we'll all find out eventually.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Default Hmmmmmm

I never discussed at length with my S.O on this. She knows some of mine. We have long conversations about life stuff but this has not come up so far. I think I will mention this tonight. Always an interesting subject!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
When it comes to paranormal, we both had similar experiences while spending the night at a 123 year old hotel with a checkered past. At the very least, we both agree that there are things going on that cannot be explained.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
I was raised with the paranormal, my DH wasn't.

I never pushed the issue, we each had our own beliefs on the subject and we respected our differences.

Over time, he's definitely changed many of his opinions and he's become far more open minded as of late.

With some of the things he's experienced around my side of the family, he had little choice.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:15 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,194 times
No matter how often or how many times I have told my DH of my experiences & I have had them now for over 4 decades, he still does not believe me nor does he believe in the paranormal like I obviously do. So, no my DH does not share my views at all. He is all the time telling me there is some kind of reasonable / plausible explanation. I still tell DH all about my experiences regardless what he thinks or says. BTW hubby does not believe in God either, don't know if that has any bearing or make a hill of beans of difference on anything I've mentioned.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker Freesia View Post
No matter how often or how many times I have told my DH of my experiences & I have had them now for over 4 decades, he still does not believe me nor does he believe in the paranormal like I obviously do. So, no my DH does not share my views at all. He is all the time telling me there is some kind of reasonable / plausible explanation. I still tell DH all about my experiences regardless what he thinks or says. BTW hubby does not believe in God either, don't know if that has any bearing or make a hill of beans of difference on anything I've mentioned.
A famous psychic/medium, while I was watching, was asked if there was a god. He looked very uncomfortable and said that honestly, he did not know. He'd never seen a god. That does not mean that no one hears our prayers, though.

Yes, there is a plausible explanation. I think there are some sort of laws that govern everything. It's just that today's science does not know everything yet. There was a time when it was thought we could not fly. There was a time in which it was thought a car going over five miles an hour would kill the bodies inside. (There was sometimes a guy walking before a slow moving car, waving a red flag to get pedestrians out of the way and to warn carriages with horses that they were coming).

I suspect that as science advances more of this stuff will be understood.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I never discussed at length with my S.O on this. She knows some of mine. We have long conversations about life stuff but this has not come up so far. I think I will mention this tonight. Always an interesting subject!
We'd appreciate it if you could share, if you can.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:51 PM

30 posts, read 100,209 times
While this topic is not easy for some to talk about, I found that reading on Humanities will help clarify some things. My beliefs and those of others are very different, along with religion et al. Love is the common denominator, you see if you love anyone enough you will be able to live well with each other, even though you have different opinions.
As for science- they have not caught up yet.
Destrella

Old 10-07-2012, 08:12 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker Freesia View Post
We're opposite -- I believe and nothing has ever happened to me and hubby doesn't and stuff has happened to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal