U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:42 PM

13,145 posts, read 19,969,598 times

Advertisements

A common thread in ghost stories is that paranormal activity seems to center on or even emanate from a person.

Are hauntings more rooted on people or on places themselves? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 12:59 AM

13,606 posts, read 11,008,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
A common thread in ghost stories is that paranormal activity seems to center on or even emanate from a person.

Are hauntings more rooted on people or on places themselves? What do you think?
I think there are many types of "hauntings" As it has been explained to me, some are just a case of incidents in time that left an indelible mark on a place. Sort of like the grooves on a record, where you can hear the music, but the band isn't there.

Some ghosts are simply lost souls that are looking for a connection, or a path, or trying to send a message.

Some spirits are disturbed and or ornery and they feed on angst (Poltergeist activity would fall into this category)

I recommend the book "Ghosts" by Hans Holzer for more information.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:36 PM

16,082 posts, read 25,006,614 times
More commonly places, than people. Spirits are drawn to mediums, they have a gift and deliver messages.

By haunting I assume negative paranormal activity connected to one individual. I guess its possible, not sure why though.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:06 PM

12,831 posts, read 21,500,793 times
I don't know. The place I work, the story goes, had a guy who committed suicide by hanging himself in a stairwell on the first floor YEARS ago. Since he lived on the third floor, the police did some investigating to confirm it was suicide, by dusting for prints. You can see the dark powder swirls on the painted beam he hung himself on.... and they don't come off, and come back after the beam has been painted.

It's said (although not lately) the elevator closest to his unit opens on the third floor all by itself. The buttons aren't lit -- it just stops and opens. I've heard this from several long time residents...

I've never had it happen to me. Never felt anything weird, either. But I would consider that a place haunting.

But several years ago -- a new tenant asked me about his unit. It was a larger two master suite apartment, and both master suites had doors that opened onto the balcony. It seemed, no matter what, every morning when he woke up the other balcony door was open. He installed new locks -- it would open. He installed a chain -- it was open, even though the chain was in place.

He wondered about vibrations in the building.... some sort of explanation.

Since the apartments are stacked -- the other units under him are the same units, I asked the residents of those units and .... nothing. Their doors were closed.

I asked the property manager -- no reason.

The guy moved a few months after that. The next tenant stayed just a few months, but the next one stayed for a couple years till a transfer came through. The new tenant is nice and has been there for a year....

And not one of them mentioned anything like this....

I'm thinking it was the guy here, and not the apartment.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:50 AM

28,015 posts, read 26,697,273 times
I think that it's the person. You can live in a place that's haunted as all get out but, if you don't see, hear or feel it, it doesn't exist. My mother lives happily in her creepy, haunted house.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 PM

15,921 posts, read 18,061,564 times
I would vote 100% for haunted places...

When I lived upstate NY every time I biked past this one home (set back a few hundred feet from the road) a deep chill would come over me... And no, there were no tress/bushes casting shadows on the road.

Every time, no matter which way I was biking.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:39 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,344,315 times
sometimes people are "haunted"for want of a better word--met an excorcist last year--heard and saw the entity that was attached to him--praying he has rid himself of it by now

Old 10-16-2012, 03:40 PM

659 posts, read 861,850 times
I think people are haunted, ok not haunted per se. But I believe we all have special ability to do amazing things with our minds and this is one of them. I think some people are capable of making unexplained things happen or think they sense things with their own mind.

Last edited by Ming Ming; 10-16-2012 at 04:44 PM..

Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM

24 posts, read 45,445 times
i have asked this question many a times to many a people. As i belive for a number of years i was haunted and despite moving home etc i always felt a presense around me. Im not sure who or what it was but i knew it was near me, it would make noises... when i moved i would think i was rid, then a few weeks in it would begin again... i thought i was just mega un-lucky! And was picking bad houses!
then 2 years ago i moved and its mostly stopped now.. i do get the odd strange occurence.. but not daily as it were. so im still not sure... unlucky in house choices.. or was i attracting them due to a very tough few years.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:33 PM

29 posts, read 53,172 times
To me, in the way some people can hear musical nuances more than others, or hear differences in pitch better, or can see deeper into the color spectrum than others, or can feel differences in textures better than others, or whatever, some people can sense the presence of "spirits" better than others.

To them, spirits are real.

To those who can't sense paranormal presences, they're not real, and not worth considering.

Interesting thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal