Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,454 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of cleaning my home but have no experience. I looked online and there were so many different blends of smudge sticks I am not sure what kind to buy. Does anyone here have any knowledge in this area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 10:59 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,912 times
Silver, also called white sage is usually all that is needed for a cleansing smudge stick.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,923,463 times
I like white sage, and you can find it at most health food stores that have herbs in bulk. Palo Santo is also a stick that is nice. It will really help you and your house.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:29 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,013 times
Look around for any new age stores in your area, and they will have some great stuff and usually very knowledgeable people there as well

I found this too:

Home Purification – How to do Sage Smudge Ceremony « Allegheny Candles' Blog

Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,293 times
My realtor gave me a red sage plant as a house-warming gift. It's still growing beautifully in my backyard.

I remember the realtor was visibly spooked when a closet door popped opened during the open house. It was just a faulty latch--I know because I fixed it.

I've never put much thought into why she gave me a sage bush (as opposed another plant)... but is this her way of warding off spirits in my house?

Old 10-17-2012, 02:29 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,971,365 times
I must admit, I heard of this practice years ago, but then, as now, I put no credence in it.
I copied this from wikipedia, and like all rituals, it is in the eyes of the beholder.
For me it is garbage, and not to be believed.
If any of you think this is going to rid you, or your home of any spirit that wants to be where ever it wants to be, you are sadly mistaken.
No Herb, stick or bush is going to prevent it.

From Wekipedia:
Contemporary use of smudge sticks

Smudging in the modern era has been incorporated into many belief systems, including new age and neopagan spirituality, where it is analogous to censing with a thurible or aspersion. It may also be used in rituals or meditation. Smudging rituals are regarded by their practitioners as psychologically and spiritually cleansing, and as a means to clear negative energy. Participants can smudge themselves or others by fanning smoke in the appropriate direction, often with other ritual tools such as a bundle of feathers.
For practitioners, the intent behind the ritual is usually considered as important as the actual constituents of the smudge stick. Care is taken to determine the time of day, month, or year when the herbs should be collected; for example, at dawn or evening, at certain phases of the moon, or according to yearly cycles. It is considered respectful to ask permission from the plant before collecting it. Gertrude Allen, a Lumbee, reported that her father, an expert in healing with plants, stated that sage varied in potency at different times of the year. For full potency, he would only gather sage in months that contained the letter ‘r’ and only on the full moon, and was careful to select only crinkled leaves.[1] Smudge stick ceremonies are quite significant at aphelion (when the earth is farthest from the sun), perihelion (when the earth is closest to the sun), equinoxes, and solstices.[citation needed]

Old 10-17-2012, 04:08 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,912 times
Don't knock it if you have not tried it.
The Native Americans have used sage for cleansing for eons.
If it did not work, the practice would have never survived.

I aided a friend in ridding his home of an annoying spirit using sage, a broom and salt.
It does work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I must admit, I heard of this practice years ago, but then, as now, I put no credence in it.
I copied this from wikipedia, and like all rituals, it is in the eyes of the beholder.
If any of you think this is going to rid you, or your home of any spirit that wants to be where ever it wants to be, you are sadly mistaken.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:09 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:

From Wekipedia:

Smudging in the modern era has been incorporated into many belief systems, including new age and neopagan spirituality, where it is analogous to censing with a thurible or aspersion. It may also be used in rituals or meditation. Smudging rituals are regarded by their practitioners as psychologically and spiritually cleansing, and as a means to clear negative energy. Participants can smudge themselves or others by fanning smoke in the appropriate direction, often with other ritual tools such as a bundle of feathers.
For practitioners, the intent behind the ritual is usually considered as important as the actual constituents of the smudge stick. Care is taken to determine the time of day, month, or year when the herbs should be collected; for example, at dawn or evening, at certain phases of the moon, or according to yearly cycles. It is considered respectful to ask permission from the plant before collecting it. Gertrude Allen, a Lumbee, reported that her father, an expert in healing with plants, stated that sage varied in potency at different times of the year. For full potency, he would only gather sage in months that contained the letter ‘r’ and only on the full moon, and was careful to select only crinkled leaves.[1] Smudge stick ceremonies are quite significant at aphelion (when the earth is farthest from the sun), perihelion (when the earth is closest to the sun), equinoxes, and solstices.[citation needed]
I'm 1/2 Cherokee and we've used Smudge Sticks for years, White Sage is my preferance, works for me quite well all the time and smells divine.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,971,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I'm 1/2 Cherokee and we've used Smudge Sticks for years, White Sage is my preferance, works for me quite well all the time and smells divine.

Would you mind telling me what you are using it for?

Bob.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,923,463 times
Quote:

From Wekipedia:

Who are you to say what does or doesn't work.

I say it does work. If it's not for you, fine, but this isn't a debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal