U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 PM

577 posts, read 880,480 times

Advertisements

Each year over 50,000 adults disappear in the United States. Many are homicide victims, people with drug or alcohol addiction, or simply running away from life (or attempting to). Most are eventually found, but there are many around the world that are never seen or heard from again. There are the famous vanishings like Judge Joseph Crater, Dorothy Arnold, and military cadet Richard Colvin Cox(who walked out of his living quarters at West Point and was never seen again), but there are thousands per year that are simply people living their lives that up and vanish.

Some of these disappearances happen in unfamiliar surroundings like national parks. However the majority are just people leaving their home, farm, workplace and never being seen or heard from again. Where do all there people go? I realize we live in a violent culture nowadays, but I'm not sure I can buy that they all are murdered and never found. That would be on top of all the murders we know about. Some vanishings are most mysterious than others perhaps. The Beaumont children of Australia were likely kidnapped, whereas the boat Joyita which vanished off of Samoa in 1957 was a little harder to explain. The boat was cork-lined and unlikely to sink in most any weather. So why did the crew and passengers abandon ship? Anybody know someone that disappeared? If you think you have a solution to a famous missing person, feel free to discuss.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 AM

11,547 posts, read 14,581,157 times
Many indeed disappear, and approximately ten percent are never found. Aside from murder or suicide in a remote place it is not difficult for one to live under the radar in a large city. Going off to live under a different identity and leaving a difficult past behind. I think a lot of people have at least pondered it during periods of their life where everything seemed to be against them. As for the ship disappearances those are harder to figure out. There is the possibility of a mass kidnapping by pirates or a foreign military force, or a freak wave or other natural occurrence that caused the crew to abandon ship and they were lost to the sea.

Other more radical theories are a space-time rift causing temporal displacement, abduction by alien forces either extraterrestrial or interdimensional or angry God's and spirits.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:38 PM

6,929 posts, read 8,635,120 times
I think D Scott explained it fairly well, and I might add, there are many things in the universe we as humans are not meant to know.
We are directed by the spirit within each of us, and to that end we will continue on with our human existence, never knowing more than we are allowed to know.
Bob.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:04 PM

16,081 posts, read 25,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Each year over 50,000 adults disappear in the United States. Many are homicide victims, people with drug or alcohol addiction, or simply running away from life (or attempting to). Most are eventually found, but there are many around the world that are never seen or heard from again. There are the famous vanishings like Judge Joseph Crater, Dorothy Arnold, and military cadet Richard Colvin Cox(who walked out of his living quarters at West Point and was never seen again), but there are thousands per year that are simply people living their lives that up and vanish.

Some of these disappearances happen in unfamiliar surroundings like national parks. However the majority are just people leaving their home, farm, workplace and never being seen or heard from again. Where do all there people go? I realize we live in a violent culture nowadays, but I'm not sure I can buy that they all are murdered and never found. That would be on top of all the murders we know about. Some vanishings are most mysterious than others perhaps. The Beaumont children of Australia were likely kidnapped, whereas the boat Joyita which vanished off of Samoa in 1957 was a little harder to explain. The boat was cork-lined and unlikely to sink in most any weather. So why did the crew and passengers abandon ship? Anybody know someone that disappeared? If you think you have a solution to a famous missing person, feel free to discuss.
Many who disappear without a trace were not kidnapped or fowl play. Did of their own choosing, don't want to be found and perhaps have good reason.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,266,459 times
I've wondered about this as well. This was discussed in one of my CJ classes. My guess is that many, especially children, are simply victims of foul play and their bodies are never discovered. Ever once and awhile one of these people pop up alive and well on the news, but I'm curious as to how many people are "found" ever year. I know the FBI tracks virtually ever missing persons case, but I've never seen the number of cases cleared off of the books with a happy ending. I'm not a believer in the super natural but I do know that there are very sinister people in this world. It wouldn't surprise me if some end up as involuntary organ donors or as slaves in certain parts of the world.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:06 PM

11,547 posts, read 14,581,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Many who disappear without a trace were not kidnapped or fowl play. Did of their own choosing, don't want to be found and perhaps have good reason.
Yes, And there even is the term pseudocide, In which an individual fakes their demise either outright or vanishes counting on being declared as death in absentia. Rocker Richey James Edwards of the Manic street preachers is a good possible example of this after he vanished without a trace but was found to have been withdrawing 200 quid a day from his bank account in the days leading up to him being missing. he was declared dead by a court of law years later despite a credible report and sighting of him in a hippie market in Goa, India.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 PM

13,616 posts, read 22,239,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Many indeed disappear, and approximately ten percent are never found. Aside from murder or suicide in a remote place it is not difficult for one to live under the radar in a large city. Going off to live under a different identity and leaving a difficult past behind. I think a lot of people have at least pondered it during periods of their life where everything seemed to be against them. As for the ship disappearances those are harder to figure out. There is the possibility of a mass kidnapping by pirates or a foreign military force, or a freak wave or other natural occurrence that caused the crew to abandon ship and they were lost to the sea.

Other more radical theories are a space-time rift causing temporal displacement, abduction by alien forces either extraterrestrial or interdimensional or angry God's and spirits.
Oh, yes -- the Weeping Angels.... (Doctor Who)....

Also don't forget accidents. There's plenty of people who are lucky enough to get found after careening off a road in a remote place that just doesn't show an obvious accident and get passed by for days and days....

If memory serves, just last year some guy was found somewhere out of Las Vegas(?) down a cravass after driving off a road. A determined daughter kept looking and looking and not only found him alive but not well, but found some other guy who had done the same thing a few years earlier and solved a second missing persons case...

Old 10-20-2012, 01:11 PM

24 posts, read 46,884 times
Its hard when someone you love dear just seems to vanish with out a trace.
I cant imagine how it would feel when hours turn to weeks, and months. I lost my son for all of 5 mins in the supermarket, he was hiding from me in the boxes of pampers! he was 2 and i was petrified the feeling of your heart sinking. So how there loved ones feel... its awful.

Especially children... thats so sad. Vanishing and never found. No closure. Im always worried about my children so i can , well i am a bit over protective in the fact that my eldest is 8 and really wants to play out on the street behind us with his freind.. but i wont let him, for many reasons, cars driving like idiots and things like that. But mainly if they are with me, i can see them, i know they are safe... in our back garden, gates are up... and i know no nasty sick sod will get them. when there older they will have freedom, But in this day and age i would rather be safe thn sorry.

intresting point though about the time shift thing?? never heard of that!

Old 11-03-2012, 11:16 PM

1,267 posts, read 2,685,462 times
When my parents first separated, my mother took my brother and myself to some very cheap apartments. Those apartments may not have been the safest, but i spend my whole morning,day, and night outside... literally. I was in the third grade and nine years old. About 15 kids and i, around the ages of 7-12 used to spend the whole day outside!

I sometimes spend hours by myself, climbing trees and role playing by myself. When the others kids came out, or i went for them, we use to play playing cards, hide and seek, cops and robbers, tag, tell scary stories, throw rocks at each other, or try to sell broken crayons to neighbors.

I never encountered any gang members, but i did hear police sirens at night, and the smell of marijuana. Olders teenagers were pretty cool with us, although i do remember this one guy outsmarting me and stealing my a couple playing cards when i left them unattended.

I do remember playing Play Station 1 with some twins my age in their apartment for a couple of hours. My mom, worried, was crying and about to call my cops. Right when she was going to dial, i pop out of the apartment and ran towards my worried mom and neighbors asking what was going on. She did not let me go outside of two days.

This was around 2002, before Play Station 2 and Xbox came out, before kids started staying at home.

It

Old 12-26-2012, 10:13 AM

469 posts, read 816,227 times
A couple of people that I went to High School with are missing. One of them is a possible Bundy victim, other guy was busted in Germany with hash and was never seen or heard from again. He was in the Army at the Time and they declared him a deserter. This was almost 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal