U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 02:43 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,291,611 times

Advertisements

Here is the book that CALGUY is referring to: http://www.geae.inf.br/en/books/codification/sb.pdf
Spirits' Book written by Allan Kardec.
I've only read bits and pieces of it many years ago, but it is nonetheless interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 PM

577 posts, read 880,147 times
Thanks for the link. Having a look at it now. Some interesting stuff there so far.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:41 PM

6,922 posts, read 8,626,636 times
I found the best way to engage one's self in this book is to start at page 1.
There you get a good perspective of the author, and how the book was devised.
Once you arrive at chapter one, it is one of those books that it hard to put down
The fact that this book was "written" by the spirits (through select mediums)themselves, makes it all that more enticing, and believable.
If nothing else, it has given me an entirely different outlook on the human experience, and why so many things we humans wonder about,and, never knowing why, are explained in this book.
As I have done in other post, I highly recommend that anyone who wants to learn more about our human existence, and spirit involvement , read this book from cover to cover.
I promise you will come away with a whole different outlook on the human life form.

Bob.

+

Old 10-21-2012, 02:31 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,391,696 times
I have read the first 121 pages of this book.
I find psychics and mediums boring, not having an interest in anyone else's family and being assured, by life experiences, that we continue on after the body goes.

What IS interesting, in this book, is that mediums are using their talents, rather than in making a quick buck, in giving the public information of the spiritual world, how it operates, and how it relates to this one. It encourages us to live the 'right' life because that is the natural order for us to evolve. It does so without the dogmatic trappings of most religions.

In the beginning it speaks of God, and also how terms are thought of as having slightly different definitions by different people (dead and alive people), leaving readers with different understandings. Well, this book is written, originally, in French in 1856, so the idea of God in the book is being translated through a nineteenth century brain and that, too, can be a slight obstacle. So, a person, I think, should read it with a flexibility on his part due to that issue.

Frankly, I like the Seth books for a more modern viewpoint of creation and God. Where this book (and probably others by Kardec - Mediums and The Mediums Book)have Seth and others beat is that they are a collaboration of the findings of a group of mediums, so the information in these books is probably way more accurate.

I wish the print were larger, though.

What really drew me in on these books is that they are way too old and not written for the short attention span of the New Age 'groupie' type of person. Somebody must be reading/buying them. I suspect that each new generations of mediums has these books on his or her shelves.

If you look through these books and find yourself put off a bit you might try what some people in my area did with the Alice Bailey books(Externalization of the Hierarchy, Treatise on White Magic and Cosmic Fire). We got a small group of four or five people together and met at each other's houses once a week, a short meditation, and taking turns reading the book aloud with a discussion afterwards.

Don't be put off by dense reading. You will absorb what your psyche is ready to take in and at subsequent readings you will find that as you grow you understand more.

I bought all three of the books. Read a bit, put it aside, read a bit more, etc. I cannot speed read through it.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,291,611 times
I've not read the Seth books but thank you for the recommendation, Goldengrain.
The Kardec books are meant to be read a little at a time - or whatever your intuition tells you. I use it to look up information I need. I try to keep in mind that these are things that are explained to us in a very simplified manner so that we (in our 3 dimensional bodies living in a 3 dimensional world) can comprehend because I am certain that whatever happens in the afterlife is something that we as humans cannot even fathom.

Actually, I think this is why organized religion was invented - to explain things in a way that we as humans can understand even though what will take place after our life expires is something that we probably cannot comprehend.

One thing I really like about the Spirits' Book and that really resonates with me is the fact that there are "no such thing as atheists" because every living being can "feel the presence of God" or a higher being. Perhaps those people who really believe that we are just "worm food" and that our being alive is a huge coincidence are really in denial that perhaps there IS something big out there that created all of this and we can feel the presence of that creator no matter what we choose to call it: God / Heavenly Father / Spirit / Goddess / Buddah / Yahweh / the Universe / etc...!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM

Most of what materialists are attacking are the dogma and rules of various religions. Sure, they may say there is no god, but on the other hand, they too, feel awe at the night sky and the beauty of nature. They too believe in a harmonious world and helping their neighbor. I think they do the best they can with what their lives have exposed them to. They try to be honest and truthful according to what their lives have revealed to them. I trust them over those who believe because they read it somewhere or because some guru told them.

I agree with you about organized religion, too. I think originally it was intended to help us understand but has been corrupted by those who did not have the inspiration and experience of the originators. That's why I think there are probably more accuracies in earlier religions rather than the newer ones.

One very interesting thing about this book is that it says we have reincarnated lives on various worlds. I believe this. That, and that we will not always be human. This is a VERY avant guard statement, considering when the book was written and the state of general human understanding at the time.

Last edited by goldengrain; 10-22-2012 at 08:48 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 PM

6,922 posts, read 8,626,636 times
Goldengrain, you have made some very good points in your post.
One more thing I find interesting is on page #76, where it deals with peopling the earth.
It states Adam was not the first,or only man to people the earth.
I have , since I attained the power of reason, always felt Adam, along with others, were here on earth at the same time.
It is logical thinking because brothers and sisters could not have married and have children.
We are not all descendants of Adam, there had to be many others here at the same time.
Bob.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Goldengrain, you have made some very good points in your post.
One more thing I find interesting is on page #76, where it deals with peopling the earth.
It states Adam was not the first,or only man to people the earth.
I have , since I attained the power of reason, always felt Adam, along with others, were here on earth at the same time.
It is logical thinking because brothers and sisters could not have married and have children.
We are not all descendants of Adam, there had to be many others here at the same time.
Bob.
That makes sense to me, that Adam was not the first. I wonder why the writer of that book of the bible did not find that strange? I think we probably know even less of the provenance of the Old Testament than we do of the new, and we have none of the original versions of the new, just copies. We have found other books written along with their copies and we know that some writers would interject information that they thought was appropriate, so the same could easily have happened with the New Testament.

By the by, I should have spelled avant garde in the proper way in my above post. Sorry.

What I have been taught is to always be skeptical of information, especially on things that are not easily proven. The Spirit's Book mentions that information on metaphysics that is gleaned from beings on the other side should be not treated differently than that given by people today. We may read several books that disagree with each other on certain points. Authors have varying degrees of development, and some may only have partial or misleading information. We also color information through our own experience. So, everything should be held apart, well examined and questioned and not just automatically accepted because it comes from a non corporal source.

There are many levels of 'heaven'. Some say our material existence is the lowest level. Some say there may be one or even two lower than this.

So the reliability of information can be questionable and should be questioned and discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal