Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 09:35 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,007,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank you! The first paragraph makes a much better story with those facts aded. And the 2nd story's great, too. I don't know how people find these psychics who are so accurate. How would anyone know, ether any random one advertising, or at a carnival, or wherever, would be the real deal? I suppose--by-word of mouth?
I really have no idea. Back around 2001 I went with my sister in laws to a friend of hers who was having a get together and had a psychic come in and do readings. The gal hosting said she has been to a similar thing with this psychic and she was "amazing"

My reading said two things that stand out to me

One she told me I had asthma in my former life as well. (how did she know I have asthma? Its very well managed and no one would know) and that in fact I actually died of an asthma attack while crossing the plains in a covered wagon in a former life. She told me I have had many former lives. ????

The other thing that stood out to me was this. I am a born and raised Californian. She told me that CA wasn't where I was supposed to be. I would not be living there much longer, that I would be living somewhere very green.

I laughed this all off as vague. Anyone could come up with this random "stuff" although I still was unsure how she could have known I have asthma.

I certainly knew I would never be living anywhere but CA since ALL of my family and my husbands family is there.......except we moved in 2006 unexpectedly for my husbands job in a decision that took us a total of about 6 weeks stock lock and barrel completely across the country to a place that is very green.

Go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 09:37 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
This thread comes up so often I have mine on speed dial. I'll post mine with the disclaimer that I do not believe in the supernatural, but some of these were pretty weird.

SLEEP PARALYSIS
When i was 5-6, i has an episode of sleep paralysis accompanied with a full-on hallucination of a shadowy being. I opened my eyes and looked though the open door portal into the lit hallway to see a dark silhouette standing there, apparently regarding me. I thought i might be my sister, but I had a sense of fear, and then, all at once, it was next to me for a second, as if it had teleported or moved at fantastic speed. I can still remember distinctly that it felt it pinch me. And then it was gone.

At the time I tried to convince myself that I was dreaming when I knew damn well that I wasn't, because, at the time, I was not capable of dreaming in that sort of detail. My dreams were then entirely impressionistic in a way that is hard to describe, something like a comic book, and mostly remain so until this day. I was looking down that hallway, and I would not be able to dream real-world images like that at all until I was better than 30 years old.

I carried that around for a long time, and was very relieved when many years later i discovered sleep paralysis as a logical, and fairly common, explanation.

I need an explanation/description of sleep paralysis, before I can accept that as an explanation for what happened to you (considering that you say you were awake at the time). I've read about that type of thing being explained away as "sleep paralysis", but the explanation never fits the circumstances; it doesn't truly explain what people are experiencing.

Waking up at night to the presence of some sort of demonic "spirit", and even having to fight "it" off, is remarkably common in Russia, to the point that it's to some extent part of the culture. So many people experience this (it can run in families), that it's considered "normal" in certain circles. "It" is usually referred to as a "house spirit" (a holdover from Russian pre-Christian folk beliefs.) I've seen articles on sleep paralysis that show a depiction from a medieval illustration, that fits exactly what people in Russia describe. But the article on sleep paralysis never fully addresses certain aspects of the phenomenon. It's not clear it's related at all to sleep paralysis.

1. Everyone (including you, OP) who has experienced this odd nighttime "spirit" presence insisted they were awake at the time.

2. In every case I've ever heard in Russia, the experiencer was NOT paralyzed! They're usually flailing around in bed, trying to defend themselves against a perceived attack by some kind of entity. This does not describe paralysis!

OP, were you actually paralyzed, when noticing the shadowy figure and its movement, or did you turn over or shift in bed, or move your hands to pull your covers over you, or the like?

What lead you to say you were awake, but then later to accept "sleep paralysis" as an explanation?

I've been trying to get my mind around this phenomenon for decades. Any info, insight, or educated guess. you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!

(Great tppic for this forum, btw!)

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-01-2021 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-01-2021, 11:28 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Not long ago when I was taking a midday walk, I felt the wind swooshing above my head. Empty soda cans on the pavement began to move. Some even took to the air. I looked up but saw nothing in the air. This had to be the work of a spirit or the movement an invisible alien spacecraft. But since spirits rarely make an appearance during the day, I concluded that it was an invisible alien spacecraft. Then I saw soda cans moving in another spot about fifty feet away. Did the invisible alien spacecraft split into two? Or was there a second alien spacecraft? I have no doubt aliens have morphing and splitting technologies. The alien movies I saw showed they can do all that.

Old 07-01-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I really have no idea. Back around 2001 I went with my sister in laws to a friend of hers who was having a get together and had a psychic come in and do readings. The gal hosting said she has been to a similar thing with this psychic and she was "amazing"

My reading said two things that stand out to me

One she told me I had asthma in my former life as well. (how did she know I have asthma? Its very well managed and no one would know) and that in fact I actually died of an asthma attack while crossing the plains in a covered wagon in a former life. She told me I have had many former lives. ????

The other thing that stood out to me was this. I am a born and raised Californian. She told me that CA wasn't where I was supposed to be. I would not be living there much longer, that I would be living somewhere very green.

I laughed this all off as vague. Anyone could come up with this random "stuff" although I still was unsure how she could have known I have asthma.

I certainly knew I would never be living anywhere but CA since ALL of my family and my husbands family is there.......except we moved in 2006 unexpectedly for my husbands job in a decision that took us a total of about 6 weeks stock lock and barrel completely across the country to a place that is very green.

Go figure!
I SO need a psychic like this in my life right now! But they're impossible to find!

Old 07-01-2021, 04:00 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I need an explanation/description of sleep paralysis, before I can accept that as an explanation for what happened to you (considering that you say you were awake at the time). I've read about that type of thing being explained away as "sleep paralysis", but the explanation never fits the circumstances; it doesn't truly explain what people are experiencing.

Waking up at night to the presence of some sort of demonic "spirit", and even having to fight "it" off, is remarkably common in Russia, to the point that it's to some extent part of the culture. So many people experience this (it can run in families), that it's considered "normal" in certain circles. "It" is usually referred to as a "house spirit" (a holdover from Russian pre-Christian folk beliefs.) I've seen articles on sleep paralysis that show a depiction from a medieval illustration, that fits exactly what people in Russia describe. But the article on sleep paralysis never fully addresses certain aspects of the phenomenon. It's not clear it's related at all to sleep paralysis.

1. Everyone (including you, OP) who has experienced this odd nighttime "spirit" presence insisted they were awake at the time.

2. In every case I've ever heard in Russia, the experiencer was NOT paralyzed! They're usually flailing around in bed, trying to defend themselves against a perceived attack by some kind of entity. This does not describe paralysis!

OP, were you actually paralyzed, when noticing the shadowy figure and its movement, or did you turn over or shift in bed, or move your hands to pull your covers over you, or the like?

What lead you to say you were awake, but then later to accept "sleep paralysis" as an explanation?

I've been trying to get my mind around this phenomenon for decades. Any info, insight, or educated guess. you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!

(Great tppic for this forum, btw!)

I had this same type of experience when I was younger, probably around 2nd grade. I most definitely remember not being asleep, but fought to move and it felt as though a source was holding me down. I wanted to move so badly, but could not. I also remember seeing a dark figure and it scared the hell out of me. About two years ago, I reconnected with twin brothers who are the same age as me and used to live next door when we were younger. I had not seen nor heard from them since 1986. During a conversation with one of them (Richard), he described to me exactly what I had also experienced. It gave me chills.

On a separate note...

My ex Sergei and I took a trip to Austin back in May of 2007 because he had attended UT and I used to live in the Austin area in the early 90's, so it was a visit back to old stomping grounds for both of us. During our last night there, I had a strong sense of sadness that swept over me that led me to weep. I could not explain why and chalked it up to simply missing old times in my old stomping ground.

Fast-forward to a year later, I randomly did an internet search for my first ex Rafael (we had remained friends throughout the years) because I had not heard back from him in quite some time. I was deeply saddened to come across an article that reported Rafael had drown in a river in TX back in April 2007, a month before Sergei and I had visited. Although the examiners determined no foul play was involved, the circumstances surrounding the incident always made me question whether or not that was true.

Rafael had a very good friend John (they practically grew up together) that I expected to hear from when Rafael passed away, but had not. I spent a few years searching for him through social media, but could not find him. On another attempt later on, I was able to locate his profile and sent a message, but did not hear from him for about another year. One day, I was surprised to find a message from him. We reconnected through FB messenger and I told him I had heard about Rafael. He was very saddened and depressed by his death and stated he thought the drowning seemed suspicious. In any case, we caught up on old times.

In the time since Rafael had drown, I had not dreamt about him until one night. It was a strange dream, kind of like when your mind's eye views memories from the past, they seem darker or haunted in color. In this dream, Rafael was in a bedroom listening to music and John was hanging out with him. I found it odd that both were in the dream and later just chalked it up as perhaps a memory from years earlier or symbolic of us dancing in a dark nightclub from our old Austin clubbing days in the early 90's. I shared that dream with John and he seemed surprised, but very happy to hear they had reconnected in the dream. That turned out to be the last time I ever connected with John. I had sent multiple followup messages since, but no one responded. Later, I found out he passed away. Some friends thought it may have been drug-related, but the family never disclosed the cause.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:49 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,429,514 times
I just want to say I love this thread. So many interesting stories.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I just want to say I love this thread. So many interesting stories.
It's because of threads like this, that I love this sub-forum!

Old 07-03-2021, 09:21 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth
From what I have come to understand reading loads of occult books etc it goes like this...(and of course, these are my beliefs so you probably will not want to believe it. However, just consider it.)

We are mulltidimensional beings with different 'bodies' which resonate with different realities. This physical body is the one living in this 3D reality. When we see other entities, we are shifting into another body and another reality. The paralysis is reported by almost everyone who can astral project/out-of-body travel and is a pre-cursor to actually going out of body.

So, what they report is noises, bells, cracks, pops, rushing wind, and paralysis of the physical body before a lifting out from the physical body by the 'spirit' which is the body and the consciousness which travels. Read Robert Monroe books and many others to find out more or go to either the AstralPulse website or Astral Voyage website

Of course, I dont expect people to believe this, but it is what I believe at the moment and is supported by many personal testimonies both in books and on websites.

Apparently, the thing to do is when you have this sleep paralysis happen, dont fight it but lie there and see what will happen. Either you will get the movement back in your body or you will progress further and you (whatever the 'I' is which is our awareness in our body) leave your body and your 'reality' will seem much, much realer than our normal everyday waking reality.

Old 07-13-2021, 05:39 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,293 times
When they filmed the "Pickett's Charge" scenes for the movie "Gettysburg," in the town in Pa, I, along with about a thousand other civil war reenactors participated. For a week, we were allowed to set up and camp on a field near the site of the Stone Wall set. They had us get up at 4 AM in the dark, eat a supplied hot breakfast in a large circus/event tent and then we would spent the rest of the time on se until it got too dark to film. We were all tired at the end of each day. I was annoyed as each morning, sleeping alone in my tent, I would pop awake at 3 AM. Like really awake - not drowsy. After a few days, at dinner, I mentioned my gripe to the ten or more at my table. All talking ceased. They stared at me, then each other. We had all been experiencing the same thing. We all wanted as much sleep as possible and waking up a full hour earlier was not welcome.

We later found that the site was that of a Confederate hospital during the actual battle.
A few years later they held a large reenactment on the film site. I, with members of my reenactment unit, were tasked to help new arrivals park in a field. In the over three hours doing this, I became friends with an older woman who was an aux cop. We reminisced about the movie filming. She said she was on traffic detail then too. She said one quiet evening, she saw three or so guys in Rebel CW uniform walk by. She though they were really dressed the part, so she took a snapshot. the photo showed the scene, but no men. She was not kidding around.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:52 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,007,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
When they filmed the "Pickett's Charge" scenes for the movie "Gettysburg," in the town in Pa, I, along with about a thousand other civil war reenactors participated. For a week, we were allowed to set up and camp on a field near the site of the Stone Wall set. They had us get up at 4 AM in the dark, eat a supplied hot breakfast in a large circus/event tent and then we would spent the rest of the time on se until it got too dark to film. We were all tired at the end of each day. I was annoyed as each morning, sleeping alone in my tent, I would pop awake at 3 AM. Like really awake - not drowsy. After a few days, at dinner, I mentioned my gripe to the ten or more at my table. All talking ceased. They stared at me, then each other. We had all been experiencing the same thing. We all wanted as much sleep as possible and waking up a full hour earlier was not welcome.

We later found that the site was that of a Confederate hospital during the actual battle.
A few years later they held a large reenactment on the film site. I, with members of my reenactment unit, were tasked to help new arrivals park in a field. In the over three hours doing this, I became friends with an older woman who was an aux cop. We reminisced about the movie filming. She said she was on traffic detail then too. She said one quiet evening, she saw three or so guys in Rebel CW uniform walk by. She though they were really dressed the part, so she took a snapshot. the photo showed the scene, but no men. She was not kidding around.
My brother has a friend whose house backs up to the Gettysburg battle field and he claims you can hear all sorts of things in the middle of the night coming from the field. Also my brother stayed there and swears "someone" pulled on his foot In the middle of the night (3:00 am) startling him awake but there was no one there.

We visited there and at night we went back out and took a lot of random photos to see if anything showed up and there was definitely something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal