U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:03 PM

234 posts, read 213,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I hope this isn't going too offthread, but to answer the question of what would we need to know that isn't in the Bible? Well, I think we might want to hear a message from God's heart about our personal destinies or possibly our church body or world etc. Sometimes there are just things we need to know from God that are a personal application. So do I think the God of the universe deigns to give personal prophecy? Well, He did in the Old Testament and the New Testament also. I don't see that this has ceased.

Jesus said that His sheep would hear His voice. So if we are His sheep, we do hear it. But I think prophets have a special gift, shall we say, of being able to clearly hear the voice of God. (which again should be judged based on the canon of scripture.) And I think God often uses them in this way to confirm what we are already hearing ourselves within our own spirit. That's how I look at it anyway.
And I think that is a very good way of looking at it, and Biblical.
Paul tells us that the gift of prophecy is one of several gifts that will continue so long as the church needs them until it is perfected.
Eph. 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
I don't think we are quite there yet, so modern prophets are not only Biblically justified, but needed. As you said however, one such person must agree with the written word.
Jesus warned us against false prophets, if prophets or prophecy finished a long time ago, Jesus would have warned us against prophets, period. The warning against false prophets presupposes the existence of the true.
Rate this post positively