U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:19 AM

2,740 posts, read 8,341,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I hope this isn't going too offthread, but to answer the question of what would we need to know that isn't in the Bible? Well, I think we might want to hear a message from God's heart about our personal destinies or possibly our church body or world etc. Sometimes there are just things we need to know from God that are a personal application. So do I think the God of the universe deigns to give personal prophecy? Well, He did in the Old Testament and the New Testament also. I don't see that this has ceased.

Jesus said that His sheep would hear His voice. So if we are His sheep, we do hear it. But I think prophets have a special gift, shall we say, of being able to clearly hear the voice of God. (which again should be judged based on the canon of scripture.) And I think God often uses them in this way to confirm what we are already hearing ourselves within our own spirit. That's how I look at it anyway.
I agree! The apostle Paul was prophesied to by the prophet Agabus what would happen to him if he went into a certain city. This is a personal application of prophecy, that plainly didn't have anything to do with getting Paul saved (he already was), but it is in the Bible, in the NT, so yes....I believe prophets and prophecy are for today. But as KayKay said: judge every word against what the Bible says...

Bud
Rate this post positively

Old 10-11-2007, 05:25 PM

3,544 posts, read 6,377,405 times
Uh...when is Calif.suppose to crash in the ocean?
I'm flying out to the midwest this summer, and well, it might back up my flight.

Last edited by Oakback; 10-11-2007 at 05:54 PM..

Old 10-12-2007, 04:55 PM

692 posts, read 1,640,999 times
I found a few you tube videos of Brother David Terrell

YouTube - BROTHER DAVID TERRELL

Benefits of the Lord

YouTube - Brother Terrell - Benefits

Step Out

YouTube - Brother Terrell - Step Out

YouTube - Brother Terrell

Old 11-02-2007, 05:09 PM

32,869 posts, read 18,964,864 times
Thank you to all who responded. I personally think if a man dedicates himself to God, then his faith can do tremendous things.

How many christians on CD Forum? How many from the southern states? And not one comes forward to speak on behalf of Brother David Terrell?

Although I have never been a follower of Brother David Terrell, I am not in any way against him or saying anything negative on him. My friend loves to hear him preach and will travel great distances to attend one of his tent revivals. I was simply hoping someone out there would respond to my inquiry.

But I do remember the old tent revival days in Oklahoma when I was a boy. Best save those stories for another thread!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:39 AM

6 posts, read 26,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I have a question I have been wanting to ask. Has anyone heard of Brother David Terrell?

Back in the 70's, a close friend of mine became an ardent follower of Bro. David Terrell. She even moved from CA because he was saying that CA would fall into the ocean.

Out of curiousity, I googled his name and see he is now Prophet David Terrell. I am not trying to malign his ministry or his calling. I would just like to hear other people's view of him.
Just to clarify a few things concerning Brother Terrell first of all he will not call himself an evangelist prophet teacher or pastor, however he received that title for others, I have heard him correct people on this, but in my opinion I believe that he truly is a prophet and a great Man Of God, and anyone that has an opinion about him should be very careful what they say.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:48 PM

174 posts, read 470,764 times
It is a general belief among a number of denominations that the day of the prophet has now passed. If, as someone has stated, the prophetic age ended with Paul, why did he list it among the positions held within the Body of Christ in Ephesians 4:11? Indeed, Agabus gave a prophetic word to Paul, but more on that later.

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

Some point to Ephesians 4:13 as signaling the end of the age for the prophetic.

Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:

Yet, is the church in unity? Is man perfected? Do we all walk unto the measure of the stature of Christ?

They also use ICorinthians 13:8:

ICorinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

But, they fail to continue to verse 10:

ICorinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

They cite that which is perfect as the New Covenant and the church. But, the New Covenant was already in effect as of the writing and would anyone dare call the church today "perfect". No, that which is perfect is to come when Christ returns to establish His Kingdom on this earth.

Paul makes frequent mention of the act of prophecy.

Romans 12:6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

ICorinthians 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

ICorinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

Paul regards prophecy of high esteem.

ICorinthians 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

ICorinthians 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh, with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Clearly Paul didn't consider prophecy to have ended. As for a prophet needing to be in the presence of the Lord, we now have a much better relationship where the presence of God is within us and we are in Him.

God penetrated the Person of Jesus, when He was physically here in a human body.

II Corinthians 5:19
“...God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself...’

Christ penetrated God with His presence.

John 14:20
“At that day, ye shall know, that I am in My Father, and ye in Me, and I in you.”

God and Christ penetrated each other.

John 14:10-11
“Believest thou not, that I am in My Father, and the Father in Me? ... the Father that is in Me, He doeth the works,.Believe Me, that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the very work’s sake.”

Men can penetrate into God the Father and into the Son.

I John 2:24
“...if that which ye have heard from the beginning, shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.”

Men can be in Christ.

II Corinthians 5:17
“Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature...”

Men and the Spirit of God can be in each other.

Romans 8:9
“But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.”

Christ can be in Man.

Romans 8:10
“...if Christ be in you, the body is dead...’

When we become saved, we come into a union with God, Jesus, and the Spirit of God. The inter-penetration of us with the Trinity, enables us to have the aura of His glory upon us. With that inter-penetration, we can communicate with God, and boldly enter into the throne room. So, is it any more of a wonder that we should be able to speak the Words of our Father?

With authority of God the prophet delivers their prophecy with a "thus sayeth the Lord" connotation, but it is up to the church to discern of whether they speak for God or out of their own heart. This is where many churches break. Many pastors seek preeminence among the brethren and see a prophet as competition. These same churches aren't equipped with a structure capable of evaluating a word given.

The Bible tells us that "the spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet", meaning that the prophet has the message go through their minds and is interpreting the message, and accordingly, can alter the message to add, take away, change, pervert or embellish. It is dangerous, but can happen to a prophet. The Scriptures relate that Balaam was a prophet, but a prophet for profit.

I mentioned Agabus earlier, here was a man who delivered a prophetic message to Paul, yet, through his love of Paul, warned him not to go to Jerusalem due to what he had been shown. Paul rebuked him, knowing that the prophecy was a call for preparedness.

The office of Prophet is for the edification of the brethren, a timely word to the downtrodden, a word of correction to those who are losing their way. It is not to replace the voice of God we are to seek through a relationship with Him.

Do prophets exist today? Yes, but they do not seek for themselves. They do not draw attention away from Christ. They do not use their gifts out of avarice or condemn with predominance, but with heavy hearts for the lost and a love of God. I believe that ICorinthians 14:5 confirms that we should all be seeking this gift for the edification of the Body of Christ.

Is this so hard to believe when they televise soothsayers delivering demonically inspired words on coast to coast television in the name of deceased relatives? The devil is the ape of God.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:01 PM

32,869 posts, read 18,964,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofprayerforallpeople View Post
Just to clarify a few things concerning Brother Terrell first of all he will not call himself an evangelist prophet teacher or pastor, however he received that title for others, I have heard him correct people on this, but in my opinion I believe that he truly is a prophet and a great Man Of God, and anyone that has an opinion about him should be very careful what they say.
I wonder if there are any other prophets out there- who like Bro. Terrell, do not call attention to themselves?

Could there be some small, out-of-the-way church with a preacher or layperson who has been given this gift?

Houseofprayerforallpeople, regarding opinion's, this is a public forum and like it or not, there will always be a wide range of opinions on any given subject or person. Best to accept that.

Brother Terrell does not call himself a pastor? I can see not calling himself a prophet, because that could be taken for becoming vain, but why would he not call himself a pastor? I don't understand that.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:51 AM

2 posts, read 11,035 times
Default Prophets

I do believe we have to pray over these things. I have been to a few of Bro Terrell's meetings and believe he is a true man of God. His teachings are forever opening new revelations into the Word of God. If you hunger, you will be fed.

Is he a Prophet? Only God can guide you and answer that question. Are prophets still around? Don't ask man. Ask God and do a study on your own. Never trust the word of men. Always back everything up with scripture. Don't accept a few scriptures that are thrown at you with someone's own interpretations. Seek out the answers with prayer and study. Believe God will show you and He will.

I believe we have to seek the truth as there is so much deception and part truths in the world. Some people are satisfied with part truths, but part truth can be the biggest deception of all.

The Bible talks about people growing in knowledge in the end times. We have seen this knowledge grow in the scientific world. What about the Church? Shouldn't the church grow in spirtual knowledge as well... If the devil is bringing us false prophets, is God not stronger than the devil? Why wouldn't he raise up true prophets, also? If evil will wax worse, then shouldn't God raise up a people that is stronger in his spirit.

God has not changed. Only people have changed. The God in the past, is the same God in the presence and future. He is the first and the last, the Alpha and the Omega. If we truly believe in the Bible, the miracles, the prophecies, the Power of the Blood of Jesus, then we have to believe that the same miracles and wonders that happened in the Bible can happen today. Jesus help my unbelief. Jesus, by your Blood, bring us into more truth.

I would beware of false prophets, but I would not call someone a false prophet before seeking God. Just because something is not the norm, doesn't mean it is not true. At one time, "Saved by Grace", water baptism, and spirit baptism was not the norm. Only God can be your guide. If you seek His truths, he will reveal them to you. There will always be more. The truth has no end and there will always be more that God will reveal to you.

The spirit of God walked this earth through Jesus Christ and those who claimed to be the religion of that day, did not know him. If we seek God and we know his Spirit, intimately, you will recognize his spirit in others.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:06 PM

6 posts, read 26,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I wonder if there are any other prophets out there- who like Bro. Terrell, do not call attention to themselves?

Could there be some small, out-of-the-way church with a preacher or layperson who has been given this gift?

Houseofprayerforallpeople, regarding opinion's, this is a public forum and like it or not, there will always be a wide range of opinions on any given subject or person. Best to accept that.

Brother Terrell does not call himself a pastor? I can see not calling himself a prophet, because that could be taken for becoming vain, but why would he not call himself a pastor? I don't understand that.
Thank you for your response, and yes in my opinion there are small out of the way churches all over the world with preacher's who do have this gift.

And I do understand that this is a public forum were we all may voice our opinion's and that is all I was doing was voicing my opinion, and I think you are the one who has to accept that.

And no Brother Terrell does not call himself a pastor because he is not a pastor, he travels to different churches all over the world mostly in Africa these days, again thank you for reading.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:06 PM

95 posts, read 245,346 times
Prophets were and are called of GOD. We do have need of Prophets today. There are Prophets on the Earth today called by priesthood authority just liker in times of old. These men have been called of God and ordained by James, John and Peter. They hold the same authoriyt as did These prophets and they get inspiration and direction from God. Does this David Terrell. Good Luck. Why does everyone think that we had Prophets and then the Lord left us with none and no more direction. Doesnt make sense to me that he would. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal