U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 PM

61,293 posts, read 81,534,411 times

Advertisements

well for the most part and with a few rare exceptions, contemporary prophets do a strange thing. just b4 any major disaster they mysteriously disappear or are dead silent but show up the day after to say i told you so. (somewhere buried in an obscure writing).
i would think any real prophets would have cleaned up on the stock market and real estate market a 1,000 times by now or maybe saved a whole lot of lives.
no i dont care for this game of retroactive clarvoyance.
to be fair, i know a few religious people that do claim clarvoyance and have demonstrated it, but they sure cannt hit it 24/7, just once in awhile.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-30-2007, 11:25 PM

26 posts, read 111,972 times
Many of the Old Testament prophets were wrong. A case in point is Ezekial.
Ezekiel predicted Babylon would conquer Egypt and was wrong.
Ezekiel predicts that Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon will conquer Egypt utterly destroying it, slaying and scattering it’s people, and that it will stay uninhabited for 40 years.
In 568 BCE Nebuchadrezzar tried to conquer Egypt and Egypt survived with no apparent damage.
Aahmes ruled for another generation over a prosperous Egypt and lived to see Nebuchadrezzar die. No Egyptians were scattered or dispersed.
(Ezek 29:10 NRSV) therefore, I am against you, and against your channels, and I will make the land of Egypt an utter waste and desolation, from Migdol to Syene, as far as the border of Ethiopia.
(Ezek 29:11 NRSV) No human foot shall pass through it, and no animal foot shall pass through it; it shall be uninhabited forty years.
(Ezek 29:12 NRSV) I will make the land of Egypt a desolation among desolated countries; and her cities shall be a desolation forty years among cities that are laid waste. I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations, and disperse them among the countries.
(Ezek 30:10 NRSV) Thus says the Lord GOD: I will put an end to the hordes of Egypt, by the hand of King Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon.
(Ezek 30:11 NRSV) He and his people with him, the most terrible of the nations, shall be brought in to destroy the land; and they shall draw their swords against Egypt, and fill the land with the slain.

Ezekiel predicts the destruction of Tyre (Tyrus) by Nebuchadrezzar and is wrong again.
Ezekiel incorrectly predicts that the island of Tyre (Tyrus) will be utterly destroyed and "made a bare rock" which will "never be rebuilt".
At the time of the prediction, it seemed like to be a sure thing, but 13 years of seige later Nebuchadrezzar gives up. The Island of Tyre is not destroyed or even conquered. It is not made "a bare rock" that will "never be rebuilt".
Ezekiel admits his error in Ezek 29:17 (Here the conquest of Trye looks like a sure thing so Ezekiel makes his prediction)
(Ezek 26:1 NRSV) In the eleventh year, on the first day of the month, the word of the LORD came to me:
(Ezek 26:7 NRSV) For thus says the Lord GOD: I will bring against Tyre from the north King Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon, king of kings, together with horses, chariots, cavalry, and a great
and powerful army.
(Ezek 26:14 NRSV) I will make you a bare rock; you shall be a place for spreading nets. You shall never again be rebuilt, for I the LORD have spoken, says the Lord GOD.
(Ezek 27:32 NRSV) In their wailing they raise a lamentation for you, and lament over you: "Who was ever destroyed like Tyre in the midst of the sea?
(13 years of futile effort by Nebuchadrezzar later…)
(Ezek 29:17 NRSV) In the twenty-seventh year, in the first month, on the first day of the month, the word of the LORD came to me:
(Here Ezekiel admits he was wrong)
(Ezek 29:18 NRSV) Mortal, King Nebuchadrezzar of Babylon made his army labor hard against Tyre; every head was made bald and every shoulder was rubbed bare; yet neither he nor his army got anything from Tyre to pay for the labor that he had expended against it.
(So he then predicts that God decides to give Egypt to him instead, another Ezekiel prophecy that completely failed)

Micah predicts the destruction of Jerusalem (which at the time was about to be invaded by Sennacherib and seemed inevitable) blaming the destruction on the corruption of the priesthood of Judah.
Jerusalem was sieged, but the destruction didn’t happen.
A century later Jeremiah quotes Micah and tries to excuse the failed prophecy by saying that "the Lord changed his mind" about that destruction.
(Micah 3:12 NRSV) Therefore because of you Zion shall be plowed as a field; Jerusalem shall become a heap of ruins, and the mountain of the house a wooded height.
(~100 years and no destruction later…)
(Jer 26:18 NRSV) "Micah of Moresheth, who prophesied during the days of King Hezekiah of Judah, said to all the people of Judah: ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts, Zion shall be plowed as a field; Jerusalem shall become a heap of ruins, and the mountain of the house a wooded height.’
(Jer 26:19 NRSV) Did King Hezekiah of Judah and all Judah actually put him to death? Did he not fear the LORD and entreat the favor of the LORD, and did not the LORD change his mind about the disaster that he had pronounced against them? …

The prophet Daniel incorrectly states that in the third year of the reign of King Jehoiakim, Nebuchadnezzar will conquer Judah.
The third year of Jehoiakim’s reign was 606 BCE, at which time Nebuchadnezzar was not yet king of Babylon. It was in 597 BCE that Nebuchadnezzar takes Jerusalem, by then Jehoiakim had died.
(Dan 1:1 NRSV) In the third year of the reign of King Jehoiakim of Judah, King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon came to Jerusalem and besieged it.
(Dan 1:2 NRSV) The Lord let King Jehoiakim of Judah fall into his power, as well as some of the vessels of the house of God. These he brought to the land of Shinar, and placed the vessels in the treasury of his gods.

Jeremiah incorrectly predicts 70 years for the Babylonian exiles but they only lasted 59 years.
The 1rst exile started in 597 BCE when Nebuchadnezzar first takes Jerusalem and appoints Zedekiah king (Judah’s last king). Nebuchadnezzar has temple equipment taken away.
The start of the 2nd exile was in 586 BCE when Nebuchadnezzar takes Jerusalem a second time putting down a rebellion and destroys the temple.
The end comes in 538 BCE when Cyrus takes Babylon and ends the Babylonian kingdom. Jews are then allowed to return to Judah.
(Jer 29:10 NRSV) For thus says the LORD: Only when Babylon’s seventy years are completed will I visit you, and I will fulfill to you my promise and bring you back to this place.

Previously, false prophets were sentenced to death (Deuteronamy 13:1-5).

Hmmm...

Old 12-01-2007, 03:51 AM

25,082 posts, read 15,363,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I have a question I have been wanting to ask. Has anyone heard of Brother David Terrell?

Back in the 70's, a close friend of mine became an ardent follower of Bro. David Terrell. She even moved from CA because he was saying that CA would fall into the ocean.

Out of curiousity, I googled his name and see he is now Prophet David Terrell. I am not trying to malign his ministry or his calling. I would just like to hear other people's view of him.
I have heard of David Terrell. I have even been to several of his meetings. All the ones I attended were very anointed and if he ever comes to my town again I hope to be there. He certainly does believe in prayer. He has said several things as a Prophet that have come to pass. I believe he is an anoited Prophet of God. I like and respect him very much.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:04 AM

32,869 posts, read 19,032,461 times
houseofprayerforallpeople, sorry if you mistook what I said as a slam against you, it was not meant to be one in any way, shape, or form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofprayerforallpeople View Post
Thank you for your response, and yes in my opinion there are small out of the way churches all over the world with preacher's who do have this gift.

And I do understand that this is a public forum were we all may voice our opinion's and that is all I was doing was voicing my opinion, and I think you are the one who has to accept that.
And no Brother Terrell does not call himself a pastor because he is not a pastor, he travels to different churches all over the world mostly in Africa these days, again thank you for reading.
Whoa~ I have always accepted the fact that there will be differing opinions on this forum, and I am not sure why you may percieve that I wouldn't accept your opinion. Thank you for sharing yours.

When I first read your words:

I have heard him correct people on this, but in my opinion I believe that he truly is a prophet and a great Man Of God, and anyone that has an opinion about him should be very careful what they say.

it sounded like some sort of ominous threat against anyone who might have anything negative to say about the Brother Terrell.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to debunk prophesying, or Brother Terrell being a prophet...

As for not being a pastor, I was not aware a person is not a pastor if they travel all over the world. Does one have to have one specific church to be called a pastor? I thought a pastor was anyone who preaches the Word?

Anyways, I like Brother Terrell, he reminds me of the preachers I heard as a young child.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:50 AM

6 posts, read 26,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
houseofprayerforallpeople, sorry if you mistook what I said as a slam against you, it was not meant to be one in any way, shape, or form.

Whoa~ I have always accepted the fact that there will be differing opinions on this forum, and I am not sure why you may percieve that I wouldn't accept your opinion. Thank you for sharing yours.

When I first read your words:

I have heard him correct people on this, but in my opinion I believe that he truly is a prophet and a great Man Of God, and anyone that has an opinion about him should be very careful what they say.

it sounded like some sort of ominous threat against anyone who might have anything negative to say about the Brother Terrell.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to debunk prophesying, or Brother Terrell being a prophet...

As for not being a pastor, I was not aware a person is not a pastor if they travel all over the world. Does one have to have one specific church to be called a pastor? I thought a pastor was anyone who preaches the Word?

Anyways, I like Brother Terrell, he reminds me of the preachers I heard as a young child.
Yes a Pastor is generally someone who pastors one church, He does have a home church but someone else pastor's it for him, I've always looked at him as an evangelist, because he does alot of evangelistic work with his tent and everything, being an evangelist, pastor, prophet or a teacher is all different talents given by God, however some are blessed enough to have more than one talent, and thank you for you question, I appreciate diversity and different opinions, I love to run across these types of blogs, this is great.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:06 PM

83 posts, read 311,696 times
Default Bro. David Terrell

Yes, Bro. Terrell is a great man of God. I use to travel his tent revivals and help usher. Awesome time in my life! 3 great services every day, except the days we went from one city to the next! The denimonational world today would be a lot better off if they did believe in prophesy TODAY! The church world as a whole is a mess, No more do they preach repentance, no more do they have morality and holiness!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:29 PM

364 posts, read 732,288 times
The bible says in t he last days your old will dream dreams againt and your sons and dauthers shall prophecies

If that true then how can one not be called a prophet ?

I"m strong believer in the gifts of the holy spirit

Old 12-29-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
The bible says in t he last days your old will dream dreams againt and your sons and dauthers shall prophecies

If that true then how can one not be called a prophet ?

I"m strong believer in the gifts of the holy spirit
That is absolutely right! Note it also says "daughters" not only sons!

Old 12-29-2007, 03:29 PM

292 posts, read 893,899 times
I'm also a strong believer in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. I also believe there are prophets and prophetesses today.
The Lord uses the gift of prophesy to edify the body of Christ amongst other things.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:37 PM

Yes He does, Praise God! He is alive and well today as much as ever!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.