U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2008, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
292 posts, read 891,975 times
Reputation: 198

Advertisements

I am thankful for the prophetic ministry. I have been ministered to more then once by someone having the gift of prophesy.
I am not in a place that has many prophets. I do watch things on TV and am ministered to greatly in this way.
It doesn't take a whole lot of words at times either...sometimes it's just a sentence.
The Lord has brought me great comfort and direction through his prophets and this usually comes when I least expect it to.
I don't pray for the Lord to do this but the Lord knows my heart and knows what I need. He is there for me in many ways.
It is written in the word of God that we are to desire the prophetic gift above all others.
The Lord values this and approves of it. He created it.
I don't receive every word given but I know when it is my Abba.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 01-11-2008, 08:55 AM
 
7,780 posts, read 14,124,852 times
Reputation: 3466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think that most false prophets are easy to identify. They claim to be able to identify the coming of the end of the world. Jesus said no one knows that, not even him. Thus, you know that whenver someone claiming to be a prophet claims to be able to identify the timing of the end of the world, you know that they are false prophets. From what I have seen, that eliminates 80 - 90% of the self-proclaimed prophets.

I believe that prophets still exist. Obviously we are are going to have at least two more of them, the Bible says so. However I do not think that true prophets will go around declaring themselves to be prophets and trying to get on TV. they will simply say "God says _________". God speaks to everyone who will listen. If God speaks to you and you tell others, is that not being a prophet? Are prophets limited to people who predict the future? The Prophets in the bible certainly did a lot more communicating than simply predicting the future.
This made me think of part of my reading yesterday or the day before....I think it was from Jeremiah 23 or so....I should go back and look. But it was on the false prophets speaking to Israel. Very interesting if someone was inclined to read into it.....

I'll see if I can find the exact chapter. I know it was Jeremiah, just not 100% where.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-11-2008, 12:09 PM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,914,147 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think that most false prophets are easy to identify. They claim to be able to identify the coming of the end of the world. Jesus said no one knows that, not even him. Thus, you know that whenver someone claiming to be a prophet claims to be able to identify the timing of the end of the world, you know that they are false prophets. From what I have seen, that eliminates 80 - 90% of the self-proclaimed prophets.
Good point. I agree, if anyone is says they know when the end of the world will, be this is obviously false.

Quote:
God speaks to everyone who will listen. If God speaks to you and you tell others, is that not being a prophet? Are prophets limited to people who predict the future? The Prophets in the bible certainly did a lot more communicating than simply predicting the future.
I agree! Prophets in the OT were simply relating a message from God to the people, often about how they were to relate to God, and also fortelling the fulfilling of the salvation story. Now that Jesus has come and those prophecies have been fulfilled, God can speak thru each one of us. There is no more need to foretell future events, for God's plan has been completed. Not saying that God will never tell us, or make us aware that something is going to happen... but this he could do to anyone, not just a select few. For someone to feel like they are a special "anointed one" or messenger for God above their fellow Christians.. I would question the spirit behind that.

Last edited by cg81; 01-11-2008 at 12:17 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-11-2008, 12:16 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 7,011,752 times
Reputation: 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
From what I have seen, that eliminates 80 - 90% of the self-proclaimed prophets.
So you believe that 10 - 20% of the self-proclaimed prophets are possibly true prophets? That seems like a lot of prophets.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
29,480 posts, read 71,203,587 times
Reputation: 36580
Maybe.

I do not know how many self-proclaimed prophets there are. However from the ones that I have seen or heard about, 80 to 90 percent claim to predict the date of the end of the world. we know that those are false prophets. Of the remaining 10-20% we may know that they are false for other reasons.

As I indicated, I personally believe that anyone who runs around proclaiming themselves to be a prophet is probably false. I believe that a true prophet would just speak and not proclaim him(her)self as anything.
As was pointed out, perhaps anyone can now have the gift of prophecy. God speaks to us all directly rather than through specific persons. There is probably a good reason for that, we have changed and developed culturally and spiritually. Jesus opened the door to direct communication with God since we were ready.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 PM
 
7,780 posts, read 14,124,852 times
Reputation: 3466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
This made me think of part of my reading yesterday or the day before....I think it was from Jeremiah 23 or so....I should go back and look. But it was on the false prophets speaking to Israel. Very interesting if someone was inclined to read into it.....

I'll see if I can find the exact chapter. I know it was Jeremiah, just not 100% where.
It is Jeremiah 23.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 AM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,914,147 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
It is Jeremiah 23.
I read this on the weekend. What verses especially stood out to you, or what was your take on this? Some of the verses that caught my eye were these:
16 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD.
17 They say still unto them that despise me, The LORD hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you.

21 I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.
22 But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.
Sounds kinda familiar, doesn't it? A true prophet's message will never appeal to the flesh, IMO. It will always be encouraging a closer walk with God. Anything else is of evil.

Your thoughts?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 AM
 
7,780 posts, read 14,124,852 times
Reputation: 3466
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I read this on the weekend. What verses especially stood out to you, or what was your take on this? Some of the verses that caught my eye were these:
16 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD.
17 They say still unto them that despise me, The LORD hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you.

21 I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.
22 But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.
Sounds kinda familiar, doesn't it? A true prophet's message will never appeal to the flesh, IMO. It will always be encouraging a closer walk with God. Anything else is of evil.

Your thoughts?
BINGO!!

What stood out to me in that passage (and I journal my bible reading thoughts but I don't have my journal with me) was the main message a prophet would bring could be summed up in one word:

REPENT!

And no, that's not attractive to my flesh. I do not (in my flesh) want to change!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 AM
 
479 posts, read 1,077,289 times
Reputation: 112
It can be positive or negative, or both. Jesus's message was primarily positive. It was one of salvation for mankind. So I wouldn't necessarily state that just because an individual has a positive message to relay, they're a false prophet. It's just a matter of how God decides to use a person - and whether or not that person is responsive and willing to go through with what he's called them for. Can you imagine Jesus going forward with and following his fathers will with the message of "You're going to have to die to save sinners." Now that takes a lot of love and dedication. We should all pray to God that we have the dedication/faithfulness of Christ if he calls us to do anything like that within our lives.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2008, 09:58 AM
 
3,086 posts, read 5,914,147 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
It can be positive or negative, or both. Jesus's message was primarily positive. It was one of salvation for mankind. So I wouldn't necessarily state that just because an individual has a positive message to relay, they're a false prophet.
I agree. There is a difference between a positive message, and a message that appeals to the flesh. Does it appeal to "the lust of the eye, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life"? (1 John 3:16) Or does it speak of the blessings of a self-denied life?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top