Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:19 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times

Advertisements

I have a question I have been wanting to ask. Has anyone heard of Brother David Terrell?

Back in the 70's, a close friend of mine became an ardent follower of Bro. David Terrell. She even moved from CA because he was saying that CA would fall into the ocean.

Out of curiousity, I googled his name and see he is now Prophet David Terrell. I am not trying to malign his ministry or his calling. I would just like to hear other people's view of him.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 AM

292 posts, read 933,793 times
It would probably be best to go before the Lord with these sort of questions as the Lord knows the heart.
God bless!
Jean

Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
I do not put my trust in man's word,especially a man that calls himself a prophet. I put my trust in God and what the Bible says.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I have a question I have been wanting to ask. Has anyone heard of Brother David Terrell?

Back in the 70's, a close friend of mine became an ardent follower of Bro. David Terrell. She even moved from CA because he was saying that CA would fall into the ocean.

Out of curiousity, I googled his name and see he is now Prophet David Terrell. I am not trying to malign his ministry or his calling. I would just like to hear other people's view of him.
Why would you move to a place if you were told it was going into the ocean?

Never mind.. she moved FROM CA..

In case you are keeping score thats..

Reading Is FUNdamental - 1

BigThirsty - 0

Last edited by bigthirsty; 10-10-2007 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Cause I misread something and cause I likka to do da edits on my posts..

Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Default prophets

redbird;

I do not know of the man. However, I am of the opinion that the prophets are no longer with us, therefore anyone claiming to be a prophet is a false prophet, IMO Why do I believe that? number of reasons.

I believe prophets are those who have been in the presence of Jesus or God. Therefore the last prophet would be the Apostle Paul.

I believe prophets can never be wrong when prophesying, because they are providing prophecy from the lips of God. often..... In order to maintain their belief of their own given title, their falsehoods will be justified by misinterpretations.

I believe historical claims of false prophets are a example. (David Koresh)

I believe we all can speak prophecy, and are often wrong. (Nostradomis)

I believe you do not need to be a believer to be prophetic. (Voltaire)

I believe false prophets are all around, and are the work of the evil one.(Matt 24:240

I believe false prophets will claim to have "new" secret information about salvation. (the Cannon is closed) This is the biggie!!!

I believe false prophets will claim to be prophets for selfish gain. (The Secret)

I believe false prophets will have a very similar version of the Bible, but with a few changes to "justify" their beliefs. (LDS,Jehovah Witness)

I believe true prophets will allow themselves to be tested by the saints. (believers)

Jesus said: Mat 24:5 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will mislead many

Mat 24:24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Deu 18:20 “But if any prophet presumes to speak anything in my name that I have not authorized him to speak, or speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die.

2Pe 2:1 But false prophets arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. These false teachers will infiltrate your midst with destructive heresies, even to the point of denying the Master who bought them. As a result, they will bring swift destruction on themselves.

1Jo 4:1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to determine if they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

I also believe false prophets can be saved, and some actually believe what they are saying. That's why we must test them against what scripture says.

2Ti 3:16 Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Old 10-10-2007, 10:48 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
I have never heard of the person mentioned in the OP. I do believe that contemporary prophecy (and prophets) still exist. However, it must be carefully evaluated and judged by scripture. And yes, I also believe the canon of scripture is closed.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:59 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Default Theology Proper?

Something to consider about contemprary prophets. If cannon is closed, and all we need to know is contained in Scripture, and we believe Scripture is inspired (God "breathed"), what more can a prophet tell us? what more is necessary for our salvation? what more do we need to know? ... I believe nothing else, other than what we have already been given in the Bible, through the Apostles and prophets.

So ... if we need nothing else to insure our salvation... is their a need for additional prophets? I believe not.

Modern prophets function in a liberalized" view of Christianity. Often they speak about softer, non "lake of fire" theology. They speak about love, prosperity, heavenly rewards, which appeals to our internal desires to protect ourselves from the wages of sin. Most challange the concept of the Trinty, but believe in miracles, thereby confirming the warning in scripture from the Apostle Peter. "Denying the Master", and in Matthew, "with signs and wonders".
In Deut 18:21-22 it was asked:And you may say in your heart, ‘How shall we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?’22 “When a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.
(afraid=respect)

I agree that prophecy does not always unfold in the "time" of the prophet, therefore another prophectic messenger would carry the prophecy forward, and they wouldn't have to be a prophet.... like anyone who quotes scripture.
We would call them: disciples, ministers, pastors, elders, priests, mommies and daddies, and a host of other names.

Each of us however, can speak prophectically. When I say Christ will return... that is prophecy, but I'm not a prophet. This is already revealed to us in scripture, but if I come with "new" information, and make claims about this being God's words... boy howdy!!.... it's gonna be a "rainy night in Georgia"!

For me the distinction is how many warnings we are given about "false prophets". Why? because we have all we need to know! IMHO

Old 10-10-2007, 12:16 PM

Okay. Then withouth mentioning Brother Terrell, what do christians on this CD forum think of prophets today?

Are there no men of God who prophecy?

Other than the armchair variety who state the world is going to H3LL in a handbasket...

I was hoping someone from TX or the south had heard of Brother Terrell.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:19 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default Why contemporary prophecy?

I hope this isn't going too offthread, but to answer the question of what would we need to know that isn't in the Bible? Well, I think we might want to hear a message from God's heart about our personal destinies or possibly our church body or world etc. Sometimes there are just things we need to know from God that are a personal application. So do I think the God of the universe deigns to give personal prophecy? Well, He did in the Old Testament and the New Testament also. I don't see that this has ceased.

Jesus said that His sheep would hear His voice. So if we are His sheep, we do hear it. But I think prophets have a special gift, shall we say, of being able to clearly hear the voice of God. (which again should be judged based on the canon of scripture.) And I think God often uses them in this way to confirm what we are already hearing ourselves within our own spirit. That's how I look at it anyway.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:30 PM

Hmm. I don't think you are off-topic. And I agree one has to be careful of who they listen to. Best to just read the Word.
I don't have an opinion on whether he is valid, although I have to be honest and say he is responsible for saving a soul, my friend's soul. And isn't that what a minister is called to do?

Here is his website. It is very slow to load, but that could be my conncection.

Brother David Terrell

Thank you for responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal