Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:09 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times

Advertisements

It's String Theory- No 's' at the end...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
It's String Theory- No 's' at the end...
Thanks for clearing that grammatical error up, Zen master of the internets.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 AM

24 posts, read 53,693 times
The String theory, often called the “theory of everything,” is a relatively young science that includes such unusual concepts as superstrings, branes, and extra dimensions. Scientists are hopeful that string theory will unlock one of the biggest mysteries of the universe, namely how gravity and quantum physics fit together.

String theory is a work in progress, so trying to pin down exactly what the science is, or what its fundamental elements are, can be kind of tricky. The key string theory features include:
  • All objects in our universe are composed of vibrating filaments (strings) and membranes (branes) of energy.
  • String theory attempts to reconcile general relativity (gravity) with quantum physics.
  • A new connection (called supersymmetry) exists between two different types of particles, bosons and fermions.
  • Several extra dimensions to the universe must exist.
There are also other possible string theory features, depending on what theories prove to have merit in the future. Possibilities include:
  • A landscape of string theory solutions, allowing for possible parallel universes.
  • The holographic principle, which states how information in a space can relate to information on the surface of that space.
  • The anthropic principle, which states that scientists can use the fact that humanity exists as an explanation for certain physical properties of our universe.
  • Our universe could be “stuck” on a brane, allowing for new interpretations.
String theory has gone through many name changes over the years. This list provides an at-a-glance look at some of the major names for different types of string theory. Some versions have more specific variations, which are shown as subentries. (These different variants are related in complex ways and sometimes overlap, so this breakdown into subentries is based on the order in which the theories developed.) Now if you hear these names, or see them whilst researching or reading reports of experiances on Goggle or other search engines then you’ll know they’re talking about string theory!
  • Bosonic string theory
  • Superstring theory (or Supersymmetric string theory)
    • Type I, Type IIA, Type IIB, Heterotic string theories (Type HE, Type HO)
  • M-theory
    • Matrix theory
  • Brane world scenarios
    • Randall-Sundrum models (or RS1 and RS2)
  • F-theory

Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
Wow, what a great post, thanks for sharing OP! I have always been so fascinated with this "doppleganger" thing that happens to some people. It's never happened to me.

I'm curious, you said his twin went into the bathroom and closed the door, you heard the sound of the door closing. When you guys went to to check if anyone was in there, was the door still shut?

Old 11-06-2012, 03:34 PM

9 posts, read 24,118 times
Thanks OwlKaMyst and DollyWally. I want to look some more into the String Theory. I just haven't had a lot of free time to do that lately.

GoldyViolet, yes, the bathroom door (the door to the little toilet room) was still closed. The closet door was closed too, so he looked in there after checking the bathroom. No signs of anyone being there just a few minutes prior.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:24 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
So wierd - who closed that bathroom door? Who kissed you and your son and asked how your day was? It's just fascinating to me!

Old 11-06-2012, 04:52 PM

126,272 posts, read 19,045,264 times
Smile Doppelgänger

Wait til you here this... I was only an ,,innocent'' 16 years old when I visited Europe. On my way home I had to take a flight out of Frankfurt. When I had to show my passport,the officer looked at me...talked to his partner...looked at me...and suddenly a deep voice said,,Miss can you please step aside and follow us?''Oh was I confused! In a room I was interrogated for 1 hour. Guess who they thought I was...a member of some Freedom fighting group. Me, 16 you got to be kidding I thought. Thank God they finally realized they had the wrong person.I remember strongly that there were so many soldiers with guns patrolling at that time the Airport. A moment to remember!!!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Doppelgangers can be a bad spirit. I encountered one lastnight over my girlfriends house. I thought it was her but it was quiet and not like her at all. She lives in one of the mansions in old louisville. I texted her when i got to the porch to let me in. On the house theres a set of storm doors, a like small vestibule and full glass wooden doors with blinds on them

So; i saw her fling open the wood door and push the metal open. She then walked back inside. The door shut and locked before i could grab it. I was pulling on it so she would come back. I called her and told her to let me in- she was still in her 3rd floor apartment. Then i heard her banging down the steps, wearing the same thing "she" was. I asked her if it was her trying to let me in and she said she was upstairs.

I explained how i just saw her try and let me in, how thats why the blinds on the door were still swinging when she came down there. I didnt hear it walk nor did it look happy to see me. Its actions were not like her at all. Im happy i didnt catch the door, i do not trust doppelgangers at all. Im still a tad nervous about my domovoi. I had been worried about her all day. Those things...i dont trust them, thats all i can say. Now i know what it was i felt hanging around the house. I hauled ass out of there when i left.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:44 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
I forgot to add, when my real girlfriend went to let me in it took her a minute to get the metal door unlocked. Thr ghost opened it as if it wasnt even locked. Turned the knob and pushed it.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:47 AM

9 posts, read 24,118 times
Jax, what an interesting, and kind of scary, experience. Did you see where "she" went after she opened the door the first time?
Did your girlfriend feel any differently or had she been scared of anything...you say you were worried about her all day.

I didn't get any negative or scary feelings when this happened to me. It was just our normal, everyday routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal