U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 AM

5,578 posts, read 4,893,115 times

Advertisements

This is often a source of criticism by sceptics as being so wishy-washy anything could be meant.

I realise that English is not the ideal language to describe feelings and emotions, which are probably better expressed in Chinese which appears to be more focused on etherial concepts rather than concrete events.

The point I am trying to raise is that mediums often couch their readings is a rather vague and etherial way and leave a lot to be interpreted by the sitter.

Is this an acceptable way of giving a reading or is it possible to be more specific?

It seems that is is very rare to find someone who is specific about events and this is because maybe events are not as set-in-stone as we would like to think they are. A medium generally has 'feelings' about a subject and it is not easy to convert these 'feelings' into English language in a way which presents meaningful and accurate information to the sitter.

Perhaps this is the nature of doing this kind of work, that 'feelings' are just that - feelings about a situation and it is an imperfect 'science' to try to force these feelings to be expressed as the language we use.

In spite of this thread, personally, I think that this kind of thing is not useful since I think people should learn to do their own readings and to take their own counsel NOT go to others for advice. This advice is second hand at best and probably only a reading of the sitters energy fields.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,876,870 times
You seem to be confusing true mediums with con artists.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 AM

are true mediums any different from anyone else? No, I dont think so.

The fact is that the language used is inadequate to describe the feelings, wouldn't you agree?

Old 12-15-2012, 01:20 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,876,870 times
No, I don't agree that the English language is inadequate.

Yes, true mediums are different than those fly by night, i'm only in it for the money con artists.

Those types use vague language for a reason, they are quite skilled at reading body language as well as drawing information from their hapless victims. They're carnival shills, nothing more.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:48 AM

14,562 posts, read 23,471,709 times
Well -- let me couch this in terms I understand. If you vocally tell me something, my mind will invariably drift and I will miss some of it. But hand me written instructions, or show me a video and I get it.

How I get information, and you get information is different. So yes -- what could be vague to you might not be to me.

How mediums recieve messages also varies. I've heard them use the term He is showing me red flowers which I take to mean.... so it's not like Sam is there telling them stuff.... he's communicating in other ways. So sometimes I'm sure it is a little guess work.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:31 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,024,871 times
I'm no heavy hitting psychic, but I do have my moments. I'm not exactly sure of what you mean by language used, but I think I do.
The 'language' I use can sometimes be vague because the impressions I get are limited.
Also, I want to mention, I am not using the other person's body language or verbal responses because the majority of times that I am having a psychic moment, I'm miles away from the person and not even in contact with them at the time.
For me, my impressions come as colors, an item or a smell or feeling.
One time I sat down to do a reading and as I settled in to focus I smelled 'sweet smoke' and could only relate that to pipe tobacco or a cigar. I relayed that information but had nothing more to add to it as far as meaning. What evolved from the reading itself would tie the two together. I emailed the reading off and in the reply was told that when the readee sat down to email me, they had smoked a cigarette and sprayed perfume. They are not to be smoking because an older family member had health issues with her lungs, which was the thing that did come out of the reading. The persons health was not unknown to the readee, but was never told to me.
In another reading I did for someone trying to open a coffee stand, I was 'shown' army ants. I knew that ants, as ants, had no relation to the reading, it was a symbol in my 'psychic suitcase' that I had to decipher. I took army ants to mean military base, and I was right. However, in the context of the reading, all I could tell the person was what I was shown and what I took it to mean. They informed me that one of the highly possible locations for the business was on a military base.
Now those are just the vague impressions. The bulk of my readings are not just a streaming list of 'I see' or 'I feel', there is depth and detail in them as well.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:59 PM

15,576 posts, read 21,601,050 times
No worries, no one who has true knowledge on spirits and other planes and worlds, will ever fall as low as mediumship.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:06 PM

18,845 posts, read 34,902,419 times
I have been to two true "mediums". They were not con artists. The information was clear, and accurate. It was not vague.

And that is the difference.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 AM

The expectation we have when we go into a reading will colour our interpretation of the reading. If we are going in with a particular question on our mind, then it is a stronger thought and carries more energy.

Actually, I think more research needs to be done on the way we receive signals or impressions and more training to allow others to receive these impressions for themselves. I was trying to get a discussion going on the source, mechanics of the process and the way that the impressions come into a mediums mind.

I have been to many mediums who I thought were skilled and experienced in receiving impressions from whereever, but almost all that I can remember would put it in language which could be interpreted in different ways. Most of these readings were not public meeting readings so there was no need to make the information anonymous as is done in those.

For those who do readings for other people - How do you know you are not reading their energy field, and would you feel this was somehow a 'lower' form of reading if you were? Where do the impressions you receive come from?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,024,871 times
For those who do readings for other people - How do you know you are not reading their energy field, I'm not sure if all impressions come from the person or from someplace else. For me, I am not with the person who I am doing the reading for. So I am not getting anything from them physically in any way.

and would you feel this was somehow a 'lower' form of reading if you were? not sure what you mean by lower form.

Where do the impressions you receive come from?

Who knows. They come from anywhere, everywhere, out of thin air. I don't know how it works or what suddenly causes the air to smell of smoke, or flowers, or campfires...it just does. I hear words whispered to me and I get a flash of a scene or some color or symbol/item.
It just comes. I could speculate from where it stems, collective conscious perhaps, the Anima Mundi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal