Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:39 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times

Advertisements

I'm inclined to believe they exist simply because I've heard too many freaky stories from people who are otherwise rational, educated, and level-headed - not the types to make stuff up or assume supernatural events when other explanations could substitute instead.

As for myself, I haven't seen anything definitely supernatural, but I can say that the time I visited Gettysburg and went around the battlefield by day, the whole place felt horribly wrong in a way I've never felt before or since - I haven't visited any other such places of massive death or carnage, but they might all feel the same way... who knows...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 08:42 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
I actually owned a haunted house-the old family farm. My wife and I spent our wedding night there and the "ghost" of my grandmother came in to see my wife. We both saw her ghost. She was seen by my adult son and teenage daughter. At night the home would echo with the sound of people laughing, dominos hitting the table, and you could here names of people who were passed on family members and friends.

We finally sold the home. Interestingly enough, the new family didn't last a year in the home.

Can I convince someone who hasn't experienced this of a ghosts existence? Probably not. But we know they exist.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:20 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,756,639 times
I am a very skeptical person, and an atheist. I honestly cannot explain what happens when we die, although my inner skeptic tells me that there is no afterlife. I have related in other posts about the ways that I have been contacted by my sister after her passing. I can't explain it. It shouldn't be able to happen, but it did. Multiple times.

Recently my brother, who is a sane and rational person, told me he sees his wife's grandmother's ghost. He says he has seen her on multiple occasions in his wife's former home and in their new home. He said before they moved into the new house he spoke to the grandmother's spirit and told her they were moving and that she was welcome to follow them to the new house...and she did. He also claims that she has moved objects in his presence. I have no reason to disbelieve him other than my own skepticism. He is calm and matter of fact about this. The thing that is strange is that he never knew this woman, she died long ago. His wife does not see her grandmother at all, but accepts that her husband does. I have no explanation.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:39 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I am a very skeptical person, and an atheist. I honestly cannot explain what happens when we die, although my inner skeptic tells me that there is no afterlife. I have related in other posts about the ways that I have been contacted by my sister after her passing. I can't explain it. It shouldn't be able to happen, but it did. Multiple times.

Recently my brother, who is a sane and rational person, told me he sees his wife's grandmother's ghost. He says he has seen her on multiple occasions in his wife's former home and in their new home. He said before they moved into the new house he spoke to the grandmother's spirit and told her they were moving and that she was welcome to follow them to the new house...and she did. He also claims that she has moved objects in his presence. I have no reason to disbelieve him other than my own skepticism. He is calm and matter of fact about this. The thing that is strange is that he never knew this woman, she died long ago. His wife does not see her grandmother at all, but accepts that her husband does. I have no explanation.
You're like my husband. Years ago -- before we met -- he was at a friends house and his friend left the living room from one of two doors. Hubby felt someone come back into the room, and he started talking to his friend, and turned to face him, but found a little old lady in old style clothes. She smiled at him. He said hello, the VCR made a noise and he turned back to it, and when he looked back at where she stood she was gone. Then, through another door, his friend returned. He said to friend -- I think we may be disturbing your grandmother (they were watching loud rock videos LOUDLY). And friend said -- Grams is two hours away... you just saw the ghost.

TO this day, he believes he hallucinated, or it was a reflection... anything but supernatural.

He is the epitome of that quote I mangle so often -- so I found it....

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.†The guy said this is Stuart Chase -- an economist and social theorist. I'm betting it isn't about the paranormal at all... but it fits.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:47 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I can say that the time I visited Gettysburg and went around the battlefield by day, the whole place felt horribly wrong in a way I've never felt before or since...
This is not to diminish or challenge your experience, but just to offer another explanation. Is it possible that it felt wrong because you were aware of what had happened there? It seems the atmosphere or our knowledge of a place increases our perception of it being haunted or having "bad vibes". You almost never hear of a brand new house being haunted, or a fancy office building; it is almost always an old farmhouse, an abandoned property, or an historic graveyard -- things we associate with death, creepiness, and the heebie-jeebies. I think our brains are very powerful, and certain places can trigger perceptions that are likely enhanced or given extra attention.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:57 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I get what you're saying about places like Gettysburg and old houses and such, but newer places have activity as well. Forum members have reported that things have happened in their rather new homes. I once rented a fifteen year old townhome, and there was definitely something strange going on in that place.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:48 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I read something years ago in my research on death that had to do with something closely related to what you are suggesting here.
Two lifelong friends who both felt there is life beyond the grave, made an agreement that when one of them passed, that one would come back and relate to the surviving friend, something they had agreed on before any of them passed.
As I recall, it concerned a piece of jewlery that they were both aware of.
Which ever one passed first,that one would be the force behind keeping the promise they had agreed too.
They agreed that the piece in question would appear, not in it's customary place in the jewlery box, but in plain view in a glass goblet that was on one of the shelves in the living room of the house they both shared.
Soon after one of them passed, the jewlery was indeed found inside the glass goblet , and not in the jewlery box.
At the time I was A bit skeptical things like this could happen, but over the years have learned anything is possible in the world of spirits.
You might want to try this with someone close to you that may be on in years, and would be expecterd to pass before you.
Make some sort of pact with that person, and odds are it will come to pass.
Bob.
Why does everything have to be so subjective? If a ghost can physically pick up things, open doors, turn on appliances, etc. , then why don't they do it in plain sight. Why wouldn't the ghost just dangle the jewelry in mid air? Why don't we see keys floating through the room, or a pencil actually writing on a piece of paper? It is always something like....I laid my keys on this table but this morning they were over here, so a ghost moved them. It is always something that is left to the imagination. If a ghost moved the keys and really wanted to contact you or get your attention, they could do it in a way that left zero doubt. Seeing a pencil writing on paper by itself, or keys dangling in mid air would definitely do it. But of course that never happens. It's always some strange static that can only be heard with some strange machine, that is distorted and can be almost anything or some other weak so called proof. If ghost were real, they could let people know without a doubt.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:29 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I've never seen anything move, though I've seen things and heard plenty. I assume that if I find my cell phone in the refrigerator in the morning, that I put it there when I got up in the middle of the night. We're not stupid. Just because I've seen a "ghost" and heard someone or something calling my name or hear footsteps in the hallway, doesn't mean that I'm delusional. It either happens to you or it doesn't. Obviously, it's never happened to you.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:24 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Why does everything have to be so subjective? If a ghost can physically pick up things, open doors, turn on appliances, etc. , then why don't they do it in plain sight. Why wouldn't the ghost just dangle the jewelry in mid air? Why don't we see keys floating through the room, or a pencil actually writing on a piece of paper? It is always something like....I laid my keys on this table but this morning they were over here, so a ghost moved them. It is always something that is left to the imagination. If a ghost moved the keys and really wanted to contact you or get your attention, they could do it in a way that left zero doubt. Seeing a pencil writing on paper by itself, or keys dangling in mid air would definitely do it. But of course that never happens. It's always some strange static that can only be heard with some strange machine, that is distorted and can be almost anything or some other weak so called proof. If ghost were real, they could let people know without a doubt.
My answer to your post can be summed up in one sentence, that being, the human mind is neither programmed or equipped to be witness to these things you are asking, with a few exceptions.
First off, ghost are real, even though we can't see them, but we can experience spirit activity.
Let's face it, if you saw a set of keys floating in the air, not only would you be amazed, but you would have a sense of fright as well, not knowing the circumstances of just how this is happening.
You would instinctively wonder what is next.
Could I be in danger?
Some people claim they have seen spirits.
I for one do not believe that is possible.
Others like myself are able to communicate verbally with spirits, but there are those who believe that is not possible.
I can only say that unless you have experienced what many believe is a paranormal event, you don't have any tangible evidence to base an opinion one way or the other.
Over the years I have been witness to events that could be nothing other than paranormal.
Some of them defy human understanding, and logic, but they did indeed happen.
I believe what it boils down too is, some are more progressed in our ability to not only communicate, but to know and understand when a particular event happens.
Many take a speculative look at events when reading about them, because they feel they have never experienced anything paranormal.
Most people would not recognize a paranormal event because they are not "tuned in" to events beyond their daily thinking.
Paranormal things are all around us, all the time, but most people need to develop the senses within to fully understand when they occur.
Bob.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:28 AM

158 posts, read 305,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
You will never understand why those who believe do, until you experience it yourself. I can safely say that some paranormal experiences can be absolutely world-shattering. A friend and I had an intense paranormal experience years ago that permanently changed my word view.

More recently, my wife and I bought a house that has very odd things occur in it. We hear music and muffled voices in the basement in the middle of the night, the dog growls and invisible threats, doors seemingly turn their own knobs and open of their own accord, televisions turn on by themselves, phantom footsteps are heard walking around, etc. It was kind of freaky when we first moved in, but now it just seems a normal part of living there. I should add that the activity increases at certain times then goes dormant for a while (it does seem to get more active around Christmas for whatever reason).

You may be extremely skeptical about our experiences, but that really isn't my concern. I honestly couldn't care less if you believe in the paranormal or not. I know it's real, and that's all that really matters to me.

LOL. So what's your excuse why virtually every crime isn't recorded as it happens by multiple witnesses with these same cell phones? Not to mention, even if authentic footage of paranormal activity was recorded, you'd just be screaming that it was fake anyways. It really is a stupid point, to be perfectly honest.
So if all of this is really happening in your house why not grab your phone and shoot a video of a doorknob turning on its own or any of the other things you state is happening? Sounds like you could provide the evidence that the world needs to see without really going out of your way to do it... I'm sure people here would love to see the evidence....in fact I know people that would pay you handsomely to spend one night in your house just to experience this paranormal activity first hand.
You have a good point above in that even if you were to get something on video people may claim it's a fake but someone experiencing this first hand?? Can't deny that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal