Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,341 times

Advertisements

Just a disclaimer, I'm not really a big 'believer', though I do think we aren't at the point yet where we can explain all experiences.

I had a strange experience today. I woke up early to take my mother to a doctor's appointment. From the moment I opened my eyes, I simply did *not* want to make the drive (it's about a 30 minute drive.) I felt very unsettled and just completely not interested in leaving the house.

From that point forward, it was one of those mornings where nothing goes right. I couldn't find the reports and paperwork that had been set aside the night before. Couldn't find my license. Couldn't find the car keys. Finally I had everything together, but I still felt like my skin was crawling I actually said to my mom that I wanted to just cancel, which she said was okay. I was going to call the office and give the excuse that my car broke down.

But then I figured I was just being silly and that I should suck it up and just go/get it over with. So I go out to my car...

And the battery is dead.

At that point I *did* cancel even though I could have taken the other car. The whole thing reminded me of an experience my mom had many, many years ago. It was very similar...she woke up with a feeling of dread and then little things started going wrong. She accidentally washed her hair with something like dog shampoo that made it greasy, misplaced her work badge, things like that. She was actually crying because she so strongly felt she should stay home. She ended up going in to work anyway, and that day a steel beam toppled and struck her in the head, resulting in a serious concussion that took years for her to recover from.

Was the universe telling me to stay inside? Or was it all just a coincidence? Have you ever had such a feeling and disregarded it, only to regret it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 05:25 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Have you ever had such a feeling and disregarded it, only to regret it?
In a word, yes.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,166 times
Quote: by ParallelJJCat
Have you ever had such a feeling and disregarded it, only to regret it?
Quote: by NLVgal
In a word, yes.

Same here. In the beginning I'd ignore the 'dread'. And when bad stuff happened every time, I started doing things different. Some times I would still go out, but I would go with extreme caution and a prayer. Unfortunately, that does not work and I would have been wise to stay home.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
Put everything together, keys, dead battery and other missing items could have been an intervention...possibly avoided an accident...who knows.

Have I had it happen... Yes. I had scheduled a trip with a family member to Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA, two places I've always wanted to go and excited about the trip. I didn't have a feeling of dread, but something told me the trip wouldn't go well and a waste of time. I made an excuse and cancelled my flight ticket.

As it turned out nothing bad, but the third party invited who I didn't know well was a total pain in the arse, indifferent about being there and seeing the sites, where she wanted to eat..you get the picture, making the trip miserable. So, I saved some money.

Other times I've had a feeling of dread, carried on with a day that was fine.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:01 PM

4,691 posts, read 307,662 times
My mother used to say that we should never get angry when something slows us down when we are getting ready to go out. She thought that those few extra minutes might keep you from having an accident that might have been waiting for you if you had left on time.

I don't believe in anything supernatural. However, I do believe that, as human animals, we have survival instincts that we should pay close attention to. If you feel bad about doing something, there's a reason, so - don't do it.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:31 PM

577 posts, read 992,033 times
I'd like to think all those were random things that happen and it's simply superstition to think otherwise. On the other hand, I think i may have cancelled the appointments after that myself.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,231,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Just a disclaimer, I'm not really a big 'believer', though I do think we aren't at the point yet where we can explain all experiences.

I had a strange experience today. I woke up early to take my mother to a doctor's appointment. From the moment I opened my eyes, I simply did *not* want to make the drive (it's about a 30 minute drive.) I felt very unsettled and just completely not interested in leaving the house.

From that point forward, it was one of those mornings where nothing goes right. I couldn't find the reports and paperwork that had been set aside the night before. Couldn't find my license. Couldn't find the car keys. Finally I had everything together, but I still felt like my skin was crawling I actually said to my mom that I wanted to just cancel, which she said was okay. I was going to call the office and give the excuse that my car broke down.

But then I figured I was just being silly and that I should suck it up and just go/get it over with. So I go out to my car...

And the battery is dead.

At that point I *did* cancel even though I could have taken the other car. The whole thing reminded me of an experience my mom had many, many years ago. It was very similar...she woke up with a feeling of dread and then little things started going wrong. She accidentally washed her hair with something like dog shampoo that made it greasy, misplaced her work badge, things like that. She was actually crying because she so strongly felt she should stay home. She ended up going in to work anyway, and that day a steel beam toppled and struck her in the head, resulting in a serious concussion that took years for her to recover from.

Was the universe telling me to stay inside? Or was it all just a coincidence? Have you ever had such a feeling and disregarded it, only to regret it?
Were i you boss and reading this i would think you are just disorganized, stay up too late and just didn't want to come to work today.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
I'd like to think all those were random things that happen and it's simply superstition to think otherwise. On the other hand, I think i may have cancelled the appointments after that myself.
I'm usually more of a coincidence minded thinker myself. It was just really funny that the car went dead after I was saying I wanted to use that as my excuse. And even before I turned the key in the ignition, I kind of knew it wouldn't start. I wasn't think "I'll turn the key and the battery will be drained" or anything, but when it happened there was a complete lack of surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Other times I've had a feeling of dread, carried on with a day that was fine.
That's an interesting question I didn't think to ask...how many people have had such a feeling, ignored it, and didn't come to regret it? I'm betting a fair number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Were i you boss and reading this i would think you are just disorganized, stay up too late and just didn't want to come to work today.
*grins* And I would not have blamed you

Old 12-06-2012, 04:57 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,413 times
I fully believe these things are capable of happening.

Two days before my stepmother died, I was extremely uneasy and uncontrollably crying. She was "dying" since December of 2011, but I had no idea she would be dying that day obviously. I also felt an extreme sense of unease the night before my grandfather died. Again, he was old, but I was unaware that would be his "time".

I've never had that feeling of dread other than with the death of a loved one though. I do believe something is at work!

Old 12-07-2012, 12:32 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,001 times
Years ago, when I was 15, my best friend came to my [parents] house, in her car, to pick me up to go play foosball.
As soon as I went to get in the car I began shaking and feeling uneasy about getting in.
She was older and I had been riding with her for over a year with no problems or accidents, so that wasn't "it"
I convinced myself it was nothing, but I was shaking uncontrollably as we pulled out of my driveway.

Halfway to our destination, while making a left turn off a major street onto a side road, we were t-boned (passenger [my] side).

When I say that the car came out of nowhere, that's exactly what I mean. The road was flat and straight, oncoming traffic would have been easy to see indefinitely. There was no car coming when she turned, the next Second we were slammed by an oncoming car.

We were both uninjured, which we and the police that arrived at the scene thought was odd, given the velocity of impact the wreck, and our experience, seemed to indicate.

I remember one officer thinking I must be in shock because I was so calm given what had just happened to us.
I wasn't in shock, I just wasn't uneasy anymore since I now knew what had made me uneasy earlier.

As to who, or what, we felt was responsible for this and 3 more incidents that followed, well that is another (long) story.

I did move out of state, the day I graduated high school, putting as much water between me and "home" as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal