Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 05:49 PM

436 posts, read 575,832 times

Advertisements

I put a contract on a house last year, a few hours after I put the contract on the house I found out someone I went to high school with passed away there after a very lengthy illness. I had lost track of the person and didn't know her last name after her 2nd marriage. Her Mother had painstakingly documented her last months online and the blog was still up. Her widower was selling the house. Through a series of coincidences I discovered this information before I even had the house inspected.

I withdrew my contract and my Realtor was good enough she got my earnest money back. My state doesn't require the disclosure of a "material event" unless asked, I didn't know to inquire about something like that. I am very comfortable with my decision not to purchase that house even though it was a great house in a wonderful neighborhood.

Last edited by RedTexanTea; 07-28-2018 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 12:41 AM

6,917 posts, read 6,832,021 times
I really dont see what all the fuss is about because so many have people died at home over the years, and almost every house has during its history, had someone die in it - in old times particularly.

If you knew your own relative had died at home, would you not want to go in the house again - just because someone had died there? Of course not - because the relative was known to you and you knew them when they were alive, what difference does it make that they are now dead?

I can understand if the house has 'bad vibes' around it for whatever reason, but normally people just dying in it is not going to create these unless there was other unresolved issues in the family.

I certainly would not like to think that because I had not died in hospital but died at home, my family and relatives were now scared to live in my house after my death.

Maybe someone can educate me please. What is the problem with visiting/living/buying a house where someone has died in the normal course of living?

Old 07-30-2018, 04:40 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,497,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

Maybe someone can educate me please. What is the problem with visiting/living/buying a house where someone has died in the normal course of living?
Its a personal choice. Posts speak to why.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:44 PM

24 posts, read 14,765 times
Here in Washington, you don't have to disclose deaths (including murders) that happened in the property that you're trying to sell. It's a state-by-state thing, though.

https://activerain.com/blogsview/617...lose-a-murder-

Old 07-30-2018, 04:49 PM

24 posts, read 14,765 times
Personally, I would feel uncomfortable living somewhere where someone had either been murdered, or recently died. I would feel like they had "unfinished business", to put it simply.

Don't ask about my logic, because I admit there is none. LOL. Just my feelings.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:53 AM

759 posts, read 3,138,321 times
I've worked in a hospital 21 years, have seen many people die, and have never had any weird experiences. I've worked all shifts as well. If a hospital was haunted from deaths of so many people, they would all be bastions of activity!

Old 07-31-2018, 07:39 AM

18,764 posts, read 18,050,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I've worked in a hospital 21 years, have seen many people die, and have never had any weird experiences. I've worked all shifts as well. If a hospital was haunted from deaths of so many people, they would all be bastions of activity!

You tell them! I bet you never tell patients that somebody died in their bed! Hospital beds are washable. My wife had recently been in a rehabilitation hospital for a broken hip. She was told that the last resident of her bed also had her first name and she was told that she did not make it! Fortunately my wife did make it and has been out of there for a few months!

By the way; most of us would prefer to die at home surrounded by friends and loved ones. Everybody we know, including the one we see in the mirror, will die. There is always a chance that our ancestors died where we stand or sleep.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:31 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
By the way; most of us would prefer to die at home surrounded by friends and loved ones. Everybody we know, including the one we see in the mirror, will die. There is always a chance that our ancestors died where we stand or sleep.
Yup. If I stop and think about it, I realize that over half the houses on the block where I grew up eventually sold as a result of a death of the last, or one of the last, occupants, in the home. It's extremely common.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:35 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
OP: Realtors have to disclose deaths in a house - each state is different regarding the amount of time that has elapsed.

If housing stock is on the older side, statistically, there are going to be deaths in the home. I live in an old house. I assume several people died here. Death is not evil.

You could have cleansed the space - saged it thoroughly, etc. If you felt any spirt presence you could have told them to "go to the light." Some people don't know they are dead and hang around just for that fact and need to be encouraged towards the light.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:34 PM

777 posts, read 876,659 times
It does not matter if a person died in a home.
That is not the nature of paranormal activity.
Sure in some cases the spirits of the people
stay behind but that is very rare. You can build
a new home on property that experienced
violent activity and have odd experiences.
You can visit elsewhere and have a spirit follow
you home (and to another home, should you move).
Don't let Hollywood and TV shape your perceptions
of the paranormal. Especially movies like The Amityville
Horror, a case that was debunked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal