Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 PM

25,482 posts, read 18,618,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I love to watch that show "I Survived - Beyond and Back" - about near death experiences. I hope it is like people describe. Mostly they describe being able to see themselves dead and realizing they are dead, but they don't care. They see other people upset, but they are not upset. Then they usually talk about a place of indescribable beauty and feeling complete acceptance and love. A lot of them talk about it being like a warm day, but not too hot and not too cold, with a gentle breeze and beautiful flowers. They always say they don't WANT to go back into their body when they are sent back. And they say they are looking forward to when they die and can go back. Many of them talk about being welcomed by relatives who had died and they always mention recognizing the person, but the person (if they were older when they died) looks about 30 years old.

So to me, it sounds like only our body dies and the rest of us is intact and goes somewhere else.
And, see, I am way more likely to believe these sorts of folks than I am someone who is declaring, without any sort of basis to back it up, that there is nothing. These people who have had NDEs have been closer to death than any of the rest of us have. So at least they have some credibility to "declare" something.

One of my cousin's committed suicide. He was dead on arrival at the hospital. I was not in the ER, but I'm told he was flat lined for something like eight minutes. He won't talk about it now, but he did tell me of the experience in great detail not long after it happened. It made a believer out of me. Very interesting indeed. A little frightening. Many similarities to the common list of occurrences. He is no more religious now than he was before. But he has certainly changed as a person.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:00 AM

2,649 posts, read 1,839,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
To be perfectly honest, I too have had information "relayed" back to me after the death of a loved one too. However, was it real, or was it just a dream? I have absolutely no idea. I do believe it is possible, I do believe in something after death, but as I said before, there is no way that SCIENCE can prove it, or at least not with current technological abilities.
When a loved one passed away, she "relayed," to me that she was now o.k. She had fought an illness so hard; but lost the battle. I thought I was dreaming, since I had turned in for the night. However, my daughter from the next room, (right afterwards and my door was closed) said "what was that noise?" She has never been able to describe the noise. The "relay," has brought me peace of mind; but left a lot of questions and maybe, some answers?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,943,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Omg,you are right,and that's where most Christians are wrong.
Most Christians have never taken the time to read the bible cover-to-cover. And most will admit that.

Quote:
The bible never said humans go to heaven. If that was the case,why was Adam made on earth?
Adam never existed, nor did Eve. They are allegorical.

Quote:
The bible itself says the dead know nothing at all.
Exactly. So all Christians should know that the dead are unconscious and resting until the resurrection sometime in the future. They are not haunting houses or welcoming the newly deceased in some spiritual realm. They are neither in a heaven or a hell or in purgatory.

Quote:
I don't get how someone can read that and then state there is an afterlife?
What purpose is it to ressurect someone like Moses back to earth,if he is already in heaven(which is pleasant)?
Now you're starting to understand why agnostics and atheists believe as they do.......

Also keep in mind that there are about 22,000 known religions on earth, all having different beliefs and all believing they are the RIGHT religion and have the RIGHT God/Gods/Goddesses.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm just like everyone else -- I have no clue as to what happens after death. So when I read a declarative sentence on this topic... I move on. I can always spot a poster who doesn't believe he/she can be wrong; I know that writer is lost in his/her ego.
Insulting people will not change reality though it may make YOU feel better for a few seconds.

Quote:
But I will say this: if I knew that there was no existence beyond what I'm experiencing right now, there would be no motivation or reason for me (personally) to continue. It would be pointless -- a waste of universal bandwidth.
Why? Is your life so miserable and void of joy, love and happiness that you live only for what comes next? If you really feel that way I must ask why you don't commit suicide to get to that afterlife faster. And this is not meant to encourage you to do such a thing.
Quote:
I see this existence as no more than a sort of dream state -- much like the dreams I have every night, only longer. So, I'll find out what happens when I "wake up."
You are wasting your life while here. You can make a life for yourself, perhaps with the help of professional therapy.

Quote:
We must all be free to hold our own views and beliefs. That's what makes us individuals, rather than sheep. But I strongly believe in Fallibilism, and Academic Skepticism. I wish more people in this world did as well.
Why? How would that help you?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecat View Post
The Holy Scripture, tells us there will be life after after death. I am however, open to all options! To believe, we are not alone is to believe something or someone is out there. I choose to believe, God exist!!!!!
The Holy scripture makes no such claim.
(Ecclesiastes 9:1-12)

bible.ecclesiastes-91-12
For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have.....

Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Until someone can explain to me why babies are born crippled, blind, mute etc. I believe I have the better more reliable explanation.
Bob.
Genetic mutations. Genetic mistakes. Something toxic the mother ate or was exposed to such as drinking alcohol or benzine exposure.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
This is what I wish would happen when we die, including our furbabies........but I just can't bring myself to believe it.....as much as I wish I could.

I think when we die, we are just gone forever.....we no longer exist in any form.
There you go! An afterlife is of no benefit to us and the other animals on earth. And we ARE animals, mammals after all. It has no survival, reproductive or evolutionary value. An afterlife is a religious concept with an agenda.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post

I'll pray for you.
There is an old saying - "Nothing fails like prayer."

I agree with that saying. What will be will be and cannot be changed by wishful thinking.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 AM

861 posts, read 1,247,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think this will be an interesting thread.
What are your thoughts about what happens to us, and do we continue on to some other realm once we die?
Now remember, not all views and opinions will agree with your's, so no arguments please.
If you don't agree with a particular view,if you need too, say so in a nice way.
If you are of a particular belief, and have something to add that could back up your belief, I am sure we would like to know about it.
Bob.
It is said we lose 21 grams the moment of death. Some say it's the soul leaving the body. I'd like to know what that's about. When people recount their near death experience, they typically talk about seeing themselves from above. Makes me wonder if that has something to do with the 21 grams. And if that's so, do they lose the 21 grams then regain it before they regain consciousness?

Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,140,618 times
I think dying is what happens. When that is completed nothing's happening except the decay of a human corpse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.