Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times

Advertisements

Hi

Have not read your link yet but I am really puzzled when you make this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
We will only ever be able to see a flat image consisting of the nearest 2D surfaces of 3D objects.
What do you see when you are holding a clear glass that is full of water? When I do this I see a 3D object filled with a 3D liquid.

Take a clear glass and fill it with water and compare it to this photo...which we see as a 2D suface of a 3D object. With the real glass of water you will see a 3D object filled with a liquid taking on a 3D shape.

How do you explain how we see a hologram?

Just curious

Last edited by TVC15; 02-04-2013 at 10:26 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,349 times
It's interesting that you chose a glass of water as your example. The video I linked to uses the concept of transparency to help us imagine (poorly) how a 4D being might see a 3D object. (That is, the entire 3D object, all at once).

I think our argument stemmed from differing uses of terminology in different contexts. Having read books like Flatland and Spaceland, when I think of "3D vision" I think of a four-dimensional entity being able to see a whole 3D object at once. Let's use a non-transparent object like a solid cube as an example. If a 4D being looked at a cube, it would see all sides of the cube at the same time, and the inside of the cube. When we imagine a cube, no matter how hard we try, we will only be able to imagine it in 2D, like a picture on a piece of paper, even if we imagine it with depth.

Go find a small box or children's toy block and hold it in your hand. No matter how long you stare or how much you squint or move your gaze, you will only ever be able to see 3 of the flat sides of the cube that are facing you, which is essentially no different than a drawing of a cube on a piece of paper. Obviously we know that the object is three dimensional, because we have multiple ways of inferring depth, but we will never see the whole 3D object. (Unless we make it transparent, but that's not what I'm getting at).

However, in a fully human and non-hypothetical context, I would say that yes, we have 3D vision, although depth is still 'only' inferred.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 02-04-2013 at 10:44 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
However, in a fully human and non-hypothetical context, I would say that yes, we have 3D vision, although depth is still 'only' inferred.
Cool Beans! Now we are on the same page...with that being a 2D page

Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,349 times
Har har.

Edit: Heh, I just noticed something. Your title is about loving bright and shiny days, and my status is about loving cloudy, desolate weather. Something else to argue about? Tee-hee!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Har har.
Could not resist!

Sparring can be useful. Sometimes we don't really know what the other is truly saying until sparring arises.

Quote:
Edit: Heh, I just noticed something. Your title is about loving bright and shiny days, and my status is about loving cloudy, desolate weather. Something else to argue about? Tee-hee!
Yes I love the bright sunshiny days http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gKaT5uG80Ts, the blue ocean and the majestic mountains!

Where it says Senior Member you can change it to say "Loving the cloudy, desolate weather"

Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Our body of work, work done while we were alive, lives on in varying degrees. This includes our kids. Nothing beyond that has been verified to happen.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Of course you are not enlightening me at all. I have read much of the stuff you mention that denigrates the Bible, but there are many evidences that what you say is absolutely not true. But as I also stated, the unconvinced will remain so. I am fine with my belief and the evidence provided and of course you are correct that faith is the essence of the Christian faith. The Bible does not claim to be scientific and I don't claim it is either. You are going to believe the things that support your belief system whatever it is. The Bible is evidence in itself. There are a number of very brilliant men over the centuries who have believed the scriptures and have investigated its reliability. You do have to believe in the supernatural to be sure. I do.
I don't think that stating the truth about the bible is in any way denigrating it. I think you may still have faith and know the truth. The dogma may change, but it that really the heart of what you believe? I think that what is claimed as the life of Jesus in the bible are excerpted from the lives of deities of other religions existing both before and simultaneously in the time a Jesus was supposed to have lived. Does that really change the validity of what he is claimed to have said in the bible?

I think faith is on shaky ground if adherents refuse to think of and discuss what we know as facts and what we speculate happened.

Faith is supposed to elevate the soul, give us inspiration to be better, to continue supporting what we see as the good in life. Why fret about facts of history?

You know that most good seminaries do tell priests and pastors in the making all these facts about the bible and the life of Jesus. When they graduate they typically do not inform the flock of these things because people are primitive and, sadly, need to believe in the dogma to sustain faith.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,432 times
Our energy leaves the physical host and moves on to another form of existance on another wave length/frequency.

Like I have said in other similar threads. Our perception is lika old style FM/AM radio...we have a limited spectrum and once our energy has weakened in our physical host we move on....energy can never totaly disipate, just change form/properties.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 PM

577 posts, read 992,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Our energy leaves the physical host and moves on to another form of existance on another wave length/frequency.

Like I have said in other similar threads. Our perception is lika old style FM/AM radio...we have a limited spectrum and once our energy has weakened in our physical host we move on....energy can never totaly disipate, just change form/properties.
I think I'm beginning to agree with the idea that after we die our energy moves to another level. Do I have proof? No. But I just am beginning to believe the people who report NDE's might have the right idea. Of course we will all find out for ourselves someday (Hopefully later than sooner).

Old 02-23-2013, 03:46 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
If our energy moves to another level, how does the memories of our life go with it? If memories are created and reside within the brain, how do they get passed on to our, soul, spirit, or energy once the brain dies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal