Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 03:16 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Brain activity can last after death of the rest of your body. I have heard theories stating that near death experience is nothing more than brain activity after the heart stops beating. As the brain starts to shut down and die, a kind of defense mechanism kicks in to make us feel at peace and ease us into death. We recall those we have lost before us, etc, and see them, but it is just a dream, so to speak, until you fade away into nothingness. People who are successfully resuscitated before the brain dies remember seeing these things and the feelings of peace, and say it was a glimpse of heaven.

There are so many different arguments for each side of fence. The above argument is very intriguing, although I must confess I still believe that something of us continues after death. Complete and utter non-existence, after all I've ever known is existence, is just completely incomprehensible to me. I simply cannot even begin to image it. Then again, I can't begin to image other things either, like how space is indefinitely large, has always existed, and will always exist, even after the era of physical matter.
I agree with what you said. None of us truly know. A lot of people state with the utmost certainty what is going to happen. But I think it is a case of those people wanting so much to believe a certain way, that they convince themselves. You can't really know what is going to happen by reading a book. At that point you are trusting that what is in the book is true, but you really have no way of knowing. The mind can play tricks on you. When we dream, it seems real. But then we wake up and realize it was just a dream. How do we know it was a dream? Because it has been proven since the beginning of man that people dream and we grow up realizing what dreaming is. When someone goes through a NDE it is something that they don't experience everyday. So the experience they have is real to them. It might very well be just images in your mind, like a dream. It may not. We just don't know.

But I'm with you about believing that there is something beyond this earthly physical life. Not so much because I read it in a book or someone's heart and brain stopped functioning for a couple of minutes and they had some type of experience that seemed real to them. I just have a hard time believing that all of this just happened. That we all just evolved out of nothing and have gotten to the point that we have feelings and emotions. That just seems extremely far fetched to me. To me, it seems more likely that there is some type of power or energy behind everything. And if that supreme power source or energy set things in motion, there must be a reason. We will never truly know until it happens to us. But nonetheless, it is still interesting to hear different points of views.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 PM

577 posts, read 992,422 times
Well we of course have no real way of knowing one way or the other. There are some that believe and no evidence to the contrary will shake them. And there those who will debunk the whole idea until their dying breath. I mean the best evidence for the afterlife is NDE's, appearances of dead loved ones to the living, other ghost sightings, and messages from mediums purporting to be the departed. You either buy into it or you don't. If you don't then nothing is likely to change your mind unless you have an experience of your own.

I tend to believe there is something after death. I have no personal experiences to verify that belief, however people close to me have. Reading something in a book doesn't make it so. But it one the main ways that people who have lived before us can communicate to us through the years. Many minds brighter than I have wrestled with same questions we are discussing here, and have come to the belief that their is something beyond death. I weigh that in my thinking as well.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:11 PM

118 posts, read 185,378 times
Default Maybe

I suggest we consider that the human brain is driven my neurochemistry, and that makes us who we are and how we perceive the world. I am unable to convince myself that when we die we take our current state of conscience. The way I understand things, all matter within the known universe is bound by energy. Perhaps all energy in the universe is the soul. If yes, being part of the energy makes us part of the collective conscience. When we die our conscience will not maintain its existing state (controlled by neurochemistry and physical reality) but within the collective conscience of all energy. And in the case of innerconnected energy, it could certainly prove to be quite a magnificant experience; just not a human experience.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:16 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,533 times
I have many questions about "the better place" and all those souls who will be waiting at the pearly gates for their loved ones still living, to die. Can you imagine, all the souls crowded around the gates. And what about the living loved one, who has remarried and his new wife passes before him, are all the wives waiting at the gate? Do people have jobs in heaven? Does eternity have time? What do all the souls do for it to be such a wonderful place? Do souls age when they leave the body? Does a child taken from the earth always remain a child? Is it a choice to move on to heaven? How do some souls remain here, haunting? Unfinished business? Then why did they die? Most important, is there pizza at the next stop?

And if dogs don't go to heaven, I want to go where they go.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:25 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
instead of floating up into the corner of the room I'm going to duck under the bed and hide out there.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I think this will be an interesting thread.
What are your thoughts about what happens to us, and do we continue on to some other realm once we die?
Now remember, not all views and opinions will agree with your's, so no arguments please.
If you don't agree with a particular view,if you need too, say so in a nice way.
If you are of a particular belief, and have something to add that could back up your belief, I am sure we would like to know about it.
Bob.
I'm taking the NDE-ers' word for it. Tunnel, heavenly realm, giant ball of Light, reunion with loved ones.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:23 PM

113 posts, read 113,856 times
I know this may sound crazy (who..me),but I am really open to all opinions on this subject.I believe in life after death.It is something I have believed in all my life.I have had supernatural experiences throughout my life time,and they were enough to convince me. Perhaps there are many types of afterlife.Perhaps some people do indeed go to Heaven. Perhaps some reincarnate . And maybe some people do wander the earth. Do you think that people who believe there is nothing when they die simply die and have nothing?
Before different countries "visited" each other,each had its own God, or Gods.I just don't believe that is a coincidence. There must be a spiritual reason. If someone is an atheist,maybe the human soul evolved.I cannot remember reading where there was ever a ghost in the form of a caveman.
Please,I am not trying to be funny or disrespectful.Thank you.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:23 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I believe once you're dead, you're dead. You completely cease to exist.
That's it. Game over. That's my oppinion though.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:20 PM

113 posts, read 113,856 times
Of course,no one will ever really know until they die.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:08 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I have many questions about "the better place" and all those souls who will be waiting at the pearly gates for their loved ones still living, to die. Can you imagine, all the souls crowded around the gates. And what about the living loved one, who has remarried and his new wife passes before him, are all the wives waiting at the gate? Do people have jobs in heaven? Does eternity have time? What do all the souls do for it to be such a wonderful place? Do souls age when they leave the body? Does a child taken from the earth always remain a child? Is it a choice to move on to heaven? How do some souls remain here, haunting? Unfinished business? Then why did they die? Most important, is there pizza at the next stop?

And if dogs don't go to heaven, I want to go where they go.
First off, when speaking of the spiritual world, there are no "people".
If they were "people", they would still be of this earth(or other planet), and not in the spiritual world.
I once read a description of what a spirit is, once it leaves the physical body.
"The spirit is but a drop of water added to the oceans waters".
In other words,it is a part of the "whole".

That one drop of water in an ocean would seem insignificant to we humans, but, it is that one drop of water that will comprise the whole.
However, each drop has it's own existence within the "whole".
Now you asked do spirits, once they return to their world, remain as they were when they left a body?
Does the spirit of a child that died remain a child once it returns to the spirit world?

From what I have researched through reading books actually "written" by the spirits themselves, the answer is yes, and no.
Spirits retain the "look" of what ever other spirits want to"see".
As an example which I hope will answer your question.
A mother looses her child to an accident, or some medical incident
When the mother dies some fifty years later, that child will look, to the spirit of the mother, the same as it did when it passed.

Too other spirits, that child may be a former life form completely unrecognizable to the mother, but for the spirit of the mother, as long as she wants, it will be her child.
On the other hand, that same child may be an entirely different being to the spirit that was once the mother.

Her spirit may see that "child " as someone her spirit knew in another life, and that would not necessarily be in a human life form.
The bottom line being, spirits see what they want to see, and control what they see by thought .
As for your wanting to "go where dogs go", that is perhaps not as difficult as we humans would think it may be.
As a spirit, you have the freedom to travel the universe, and "rainbow bridge" could be one of the destinations.
Unlike we humans, the spirit only has to think it, and it becomes so.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal