Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

The heart, not the mind, is the seat of knowledge . . .the mind will lead you astray.

Question your motives, ye who speak of ego and mind . . .check yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You don't have to do anything. People who are sharing first hand experiences have the EXPERIENCE of knowing
Talk about assuming. Someone asks about a mirror that shattered, they wonder if its a ghost but have not seen one. They may not be aware of the physics of expansion and contraction that comes with temprature changes. But according to you, these people have the experience of knowing. Knowing what? Too many variables.

Quote:
the purpose of posting is not to PROVE their experiences to skeptics but to share with others.
That statement does not fit every discussion posted. If a person does not know what may have happened and is asking for help. Then there are the posts that speak of say, an experience with an Oujia board. Of course the first consideration for both 'believers' and skeptics is that someone is pushing it. A skeptic will ramble on asking for proof while a believer will move on for other possibilities. They are not doubting the experience.

Quote:
You must be a materialist. Do you "believe" in electricity? You can't SEE it, so maybe it's not real.
Now why do you feel the need to point the finger and sling that sort of aggression that you say you detest from the skeptics?
I've told you before, I am not what you think I am. So stop trying to guess.
And I do indeed believe in electricity. I worked in electronics building and testing wireless communications systems for five years.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:04 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
Well to use your example, cats and dogs have much better eyesight than we do. I believe they can also see further into the spectrum than we do. So perhaps they are seeing something that we can't see. or maybe they are are just following an insect's path across the wall.
So dust and small movements is not as exciting as they see dead people?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,309 times
I read an interesting article about a family experiencing seeing ghosts and getting ill in their house. It went on for quite a while and there was no doubt they're seeing ghosts but it was hallucinations caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. It turned out that their furnace had incomplete burning thus spewing out carbon monoxide.

Also when they get out of their house they feel better and when they go back in they get sick. They had no idea they were being poisoned but thought the house was really haunted.

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless so if y'all have strange feelings and strange visions this would be the first thing to check for.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
I read an interesting article about a family experiencing seeing ghosts and getting ill in their house. It went on for quite a while and there was no doubt they're seeing ghosts but it was hallucinations caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. It turned out that their furnace had incomplete burning thus spewing out carbon monoxide.

Also when they get out of their house they feel better and when they go back in they get sick. They had no idea they were being poisoned but thought the house was really haunted.

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless so if y'all have strange feelings and strange visions this would be the first thing to check for.
Perfect example of why it is not healthy to just stick to a paranormal explination.

Gasses are thought to be the 'magic' behind the Oracles of Delphi.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 AM

455 posts, read 898,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post

That's very sad and extremely frightening. I'm glad they figured out the cause before someone died. The lives of your family are not worth risking for the assumptions of belief.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
I think the OP makes a good point. What folks should be most interested in, is the truth. And often that requires sifting through, and weighing, as many probabilities and possibilities as one can.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 PM

577 posts, read 992,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
So dust and small movements is not as exciting as they see dead people?
I never said they did see dead people. I said perhaps they see something we don't. It could just be as the original poster noted that they are hearing something that catches their attention. However since it's now been brought up I should note that in many reported hauntings, animals sense something amiss well before the people do. If these folks are actually seeing something, it seems the cat or dog is able to sense it first.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 AM

Here's one I can't find a logical explanation for.
My daughter would get bumped by our big dog when washing dishes. After her death and after a move a couple of years later, my daughter was washing dishes she felt a bump the pushed her slightly forward. She turned to 'scold' our other big dog (the brother) but he was outside.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 AM

20 posts, read 37,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
I just wanted to make this thread in the hopes that others may join together to put aside personal bias and belief and form somewhat of an objective repository for alternatives to common assumptions when it comes to the paranormal.
For instance, providing the alternative to "orbs" as being "dust particles" being the most obvious example.

However, I would like to utilize the resources of our collective minds, believers and skeptics alike, to catalog any number of possible explanations to common perspectives of events and phenomena so that they may serve as a resource to others seeking to explain events prior to making a judgment about them.
I don't mean this to be solely a skeptic's comeback repository. I do encourage debate for both sides, however I'm hoping we can use this as a place to offer up alternative theories in regard to events that people may be witnessing, not in the intent to disprove, but to offer up various other possibilities that others may not have considered.

To start this off:

I have a cat that stares at the corner of the wall from time to time, often tracing a pattern, as though he's seeing some invisible movement that I cannot see. I have heard of many other people experiencing this same phenomenon. However, I have not seen many other people address the fact that cats (and dogs) have far better hearing than humans do. In fact, cats (and dogs) hear well outside the frequency range that humans can hear. It's also a fact that their ears are more sensitive to the slightest of sound.

Now, imagine if there are insects crawling in the walls, or a rat, or simply an imperceptible creak made by slight pressure of wind. While you may not hear or see the source of interest, would it not be wise to consider that an animal with greater sensory perception than your own can?
Out of general observation of my own cat, and the many I've known throughout my life, I know that they track sound that is ahead of them by moving their heads, because they cannot move their ears to a more forward position than they already are. They will follow a sound as though they are looking at it, when it is in front of them. Using this observation, I can compare it to the behavior of my cat and make a more likely assumption that my cat is hearing something moving around in the walls before I can make the assumption that he is watching an unseen spirit floating around in the corner, whether I believe in spirits or not.

I think this is a healthy exercise, and I think I would be doing myself a disservice to not consider such things before moving on to the more esoteric aspects of analysis.
It is in this way that I think we can help each other work through the known before we step off into the unknown, not only because it is the natural flow, but because it may save ourselves any undue stress or worry that can be avoided, where applicable.

So, please help me in adding some alternate explanations to common phenomena that others may not have had the chance to explore.
WellIm with you,I have been looking for"my personal truths".For me,When I hear the "truth"I know ,it's the "truth"Even when its not what I want to hear.Ok,I have had animals my whole life,fish,hamsters,ferrets,horses,dogs,chickens,bi rds,even pet crawfish(that reproducedin captivity)Thats no easy feat,FIRST,Paramormal stuff seems only to affect them if its anegative energy.Pain,Love and fear are animals.They dont rationalize.They sense things.If need be they respond accordingly.Cats are alittle different though,domestic cats and people share one behavior exclusively .we are the only thing on earth that hunt for sport.big cats to eat,when they are full.they're full.they'll go nap or go f.....OOPS.well you know,cats get bored,or its a way to keep up skills,either way.when they leave a mouse on the stoop.they arent trying to feed us cuz were stupid(PET PSYCHIC LOGIC)or showin off,Its instinctive to find safe eating situations.The door wasnt open to "stash" for later.I think its critters in your wall,Sound can bounce off walls.I had a cat that was fooled by bose 901's series 2.She was sitting in front of me,when we got themi,i centerd myself to hear the spaceships on starwars ,Anyone who has experienced OLD bose know what I'mtalkin.These are reflextive.It sounded like they literally flew over usand my cat startedfollowing the sound with her eyes,it was funny to see her frantically looking up and behind her then another again.sound carrying can change depending on barometric pressure,wind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal