Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,750 times

Advertisements

We say ghosts......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 12:00 PM

18,765 posts, read 18,061,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alokipatel View Post
Wow I've been noticing the same problem with the same brand, mr.beams! The lights are in my closet and keep going off at night. Totally freaky, but now I feel better...
One free ghost gets packed in every box!

Old 06-15-2014, 07:55 AM

732 posts, read 966,077 times
Aside from spiritual entities, there's also the possibility of the IR reflecting off light-color & shiny objects at odd angles and picking up motion activity out of the expected near-to-it range. Another possibility is the motion of gnats, mosquitoes or other small insects. Another possibility to add is a rodent but they don't usually frequent where a cat is.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,434 times
I have a similar problem with a motion detector light that covers our back deck. Lately it has been going on at night, but we have failed to detect the source. There has been snow on the deck for the last week and we have yet to see any cat, squirrel, or other critter tracks. My bride believes something other worldly is going on and she may be right. Any thoughts?

Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,207,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I recently purchased a motion sensor light from Amazon and started placing it around the house (e.g. on a bookshelf in the upstairs hallway). My girlfriend and I started to notice that the motion sensor light would trigger at random times during the evening/night. FYI, these motion lights only work in the complete darkness.

I tried to explain it rationally: it may be thick waves of heat coming from the air vents that trigger the motion. Or it may be small particles of dust that are triggering it.

However: My rationales were all debunked after we purchased a SECOND (different) motion sensor light. That second one was being triggered at random times, as well. We also placed each motion light in different spots in the house (on a window seat in the mudroom, on top of the living room bookshelves, on top of the dining room, etc.) and it continues to exhibit the random triggering behavior.

Note: once we placed both motion lights next to each other (physically), each of them would still randomly trigger [u]but at different times[/b]. In other words, Motion Light A would randomly go off, but Motion Light B would stay off.

We have a cat, but that cat is never near the motion lights when it is randomly triggered.

We live in a New England Connecticut suburb. Populated area. 1950's home. The house has no history of any deaths or unexplained activities. We've never felt any weird sensations or feelings.

For reference, here are links to the two DIFFERENT motion sensor lights from Amazon. Both are "Mr. Beams" brand and battery-operated. I searched the customer reviews and all of them are very positive. If anything, a few customers complain that it's hard to trigger their lights ().
Mr. Beams LED Stick-Anywhere Nightlight
Mr. Beams Indoor/Outdoor Motion Sensing LED Ceiling Light

I've already done some digging on Google, and it looks like Radio Frequency Interference is a possible cause. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but "RFI" seems to only affect wired garage motion sensors.

Would anyone be able to help shed any light?

A friend has a back up camera on his large truck and when he goes through neighborhoods he can often see into houses from his truck.

Try a different brand camera. Could be a manufacturing glitch for a specific run of cameras produced.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:23 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,822,524 times
Does either of those sensors make a "meowing" noise?

Old 12-02-2016, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,774 times
Default Bet this is the answer

I am reading this post because I was searching for an answer to the same problem. I am betting that your question about dual-band wireless home network (2.4ghz & 5ghz bands) causing it is the answer. What is happening with our light is exactly the same as yours and we have a Verizon dual-band wireless home network (2.4ghz & 5ghz bands) in our home too. Our home is brand new (3 months old). We live in Florida.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:30 AM

6,918 posts, read 6,836,680 times
Quote:
I have a similar problem with a motion detector light that covers our back deck. Lately it has been going on at night, but we have failed to detect the source. There has been snow on the deck for the last week and we have yet to see any cat, squirrel, or other critter tracks. My bride believes something other worldly is going on and she may be right. Any thoughts?
Maybe something up close to the sensor like a spider or moth? Worth checking that before thinking it is a Bigfoot out in the back garden!

Old 03-16-2017, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,776 times
Default Pure Energy

I have the same occurrence.

My motion light in my stair landing goes off randomly as well. I, like you, had to try and test some possible reasons for this to be happening. I too have a cat, so that was my first inclination. Except I have found he is always within eye sight when the light goes on. Then I thought there is a window right by it so maybe some winds seeps in and causes it to trigger. But it also happens when there isn't even a slight breeze outside. So that one is out.

Hmmmm? Getting very perplexed. Because sometimes it doesn't happen for weeks, then all of a sudden it happens several times a night.

So then I start to think, an energy field go by and could trigger it. I mean energy is everywhere and perhaps at a given space there is a bigger concentration. A bigger concentration could mean consciousness; you know our conscious energy. That doesn't disappear, it just moves around.

So perhaps you might be seeing the only plausible reason that I could come up with....It was conscious energy that trips my motion light.

I have had some other unusual occurrences in this house. Nothing frightening, just things that make me scratch my head. Once again, I try to re-enact how these things could happen. I never come up with a good explanation.

Funny things is, I feel I know this energy.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:24 PM

8,507 posts, read 10,920,669 times
Why is this thread in this forum?
It has nothing to do with paranormal behavior.
IT should be in a different forum.

And just as a side note, a spirit is not made up of solid mass, so it would be impossible for one to set off a motion detector.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal