Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 AM

580 posts, read 964,671 times

Advertisements

I've never searched for spirits in a cemetery but I've walked through one during the day. Once I think I even met a spirit.

One fall day I was just looking around and, for whatever reason, I went toward the right end. As I looked at a few graves I felt this weird tingling around my face. It felt like I was walking through spiderwebs. I don't think it could have been because the trees were too far away. Then out of nowhere I just started crying.

Not saying it was really anything paranormal but it's possible.

A friend of mine who claims to speak to spirits told me a few years later when I told her the story that the ghost of a little girl was following me wondering what I was doing there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
I've never searched for spirits in a cemetery but I've walked through one during the day. Once I think I even met a spirit.

One fall day I was just looking around and, for whatever reason, I went toward the right end. As I looked at a few graves I felt this weird tingling around my face. It felt like I was walking through spiderwebs. I don't think it could have been because the trees were too far away. Then out of nowhere I just started crying.

Not saying it was really anything paranormal but it's possible.

A friend of mine who claims to speak to spirits told me a few years later when I told her the story that the ghost of a little girl was following me wondering what I was doing there.
Wow. A friend of mine was moving out of a house he was sharing 30 miles north of NYC. I went to meet the roomate that was staying. It was a warm summer day. As he showed me the dining room, I got a cold chill, the hair stood on my arms and I felt depressed and wanted to cry. I looked at the guy and said "someone died in this room" Sure enough a guy that lived there 20 or so years prior committed suicide in that room. I moved in anyway (great price, amazing hudson river view). LOL. He never bothered me (except he'd hide keys a few times when I packed to leave) and he never liked female visitors: 1. on friend got a slap on foot to make her take her feet off coffee table and 2. friend felt someone touch her shoulder and she started talking thinking it was me, she looked and nobody was there but someone was touching her. Turns out he got dumped by his fiance day before his wedding and he killed himself in the dining room.

On post #19 can people see anything in that photo from Gettysburg. curious.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:04 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
I would never want to walk through a cemetery at night. Supposedly I don't believe in ghosts (though I'm undecided when it gets right down to it), but I think it would scare the daylights out of me to wander through a cemetery at night, especially if I were alone, and more so if it were an old country cemetery. I have to read the rest of the thread to see if anyone thinks this would be fun.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
We always walked in the cemetary when we were teenagers, just for a quiet walk and it was beautiful, hills and winding roads--got an award prettiest cemetary around I think. But, I don't think there's more "activity" there vs. anywheres really. It's just their body/shell there. Energy can be anywheres.
I enjoy walking through a well kept "garden" type cemetery during the day. But not at night. There must be a reason why they close and lock the cemetery gates at night I reckon either to keep the ghosts in or the grave robbers out!

Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
A visit to a cemetery by spirits would be like you donating your old coat to the goodwill, then stopping by to see if it still there.
Cemeteries hold no meaning to spirits at all.
To them, it is nothing but a collection of old bones.
Like a piece of clothing you discard, the spirits have discarded your body when you die, and there is no reason for spirits to hang around cemeteries.
On the rare exception a spirit is at a cemetery, more often than not, the spirit was not ready to give up it's human bondage, and is caught between the earthly plain, and the spirit world, not being able to be a part of either.
We humans seem to hold great importance to cemeteries however, and that is because they contain the remains of people we loved when they were among us.
The reality is, when we visit the cemetery to remember our loved ones, or to feel closer to them, we are really only visiting old bones.
The person we loved is not there.
We feel we honor their memory by going to cemeteries,and that is true, but as for actually "visiting " them, that just isn't the case.
They are not of this world any longer, and the only hope all of us have is that when our time comes to depart, we will meet them on the other side.
Bob.
It seems like there could be angels in the cemeteries trying to comfort the bereaved.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I enjoy walking through a well kept "garden" type cemetery during the day. But not at night. There must be a reason why they close and lock the cemetery gates at night I reckon either to keep the ghosts in or the grave robbers out!
Old cemeteries get trashed by people. For a while there, it was common to find old flat headstones as art object in stores -- my thought was they were re-creations of actual headstones.

Nope in some cases they were the original headstones.

That's just wrong.

And it's common for teenagers to go to cemeteries and drink and push over the headstones, or "do rituals" they've seen in movies....

Best to have these all locked up at night. The kids -- AND the graveyards...

Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
There was an old (death dates 1840's) cemetery in the woods behind my parents' house. We used to play in those woods all the time, and going through the cemetery (day or night) was nothing to us. Because of being so used to that as a kid, cemeteries have never bothered me in any way and I've never felt any sort of spritual presence there (or anywhere else).

Old 03-30-2013, 09:03 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
I work at a memorial garden cemetery as a family service advisor and I have never seen anything and neither have the guys who actually prepare the graves and work in the cemetery garden. I walk through the cemetery from time to time and attend all of the services there. My office is on the cemetery grounds but I have never seen or heard anything unusual. It's actually a peaceful quiet place to walk, like a garden park. We don't have upright markers and there are a lot of trees and bushes throughout. I help people plan their arrangements and work with families who have just suffered a loss. But like I said, I've never noticed anything on the paranormal side. But then again, I don't believe in ghost. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times
seems like a battlefield where lots of violent deaths happened would tend to have more ghosts because they died on the battlefield

they didnt die in the cemetary

I guess hospitals and emergency rooms should also have lots of ghosts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal