U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 AM

593 posts, read 705,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
It's not just wishful thinking (from my perspective). It's most likely just wishful thinking (from your perspective.)

Each of our brains processes the information heard and reaches conclusions.

My brain has (based on all the input) calculated the conclusion that afterlife exists. Some other people's brains have calculated that it doesn't.

Is there proof? yes and no

because some people's brains will process the information and decide that it's proof enough. Other people's brains will reject the information as proof.

And therefore, the question still remains unanswered except in individual people's minds.
Thank you. When you write that your brain calculated input that lead to your conclusion, I am curious to know what type of input lead to that conclusion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,689,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I'm agnostic as well. I believe in life after death though and perhaps some sort of entity that is farther advanced - more enlightened than we are. But I believe we make progress toward that enlightenment over time ourselves and on different levels of existence. I know it sounds New-Agey and I have no proof and don't claim to "know" - it's just what I've come up with based on my experience and research. The idea of "god" is actually pretty moot to me at this point. I've had paranormal experiences that were pretty powerful and I definitely believe - ghosts actually make sense to me. But I don't tie it to heaven/hell, etc., and don't find it contradictory not to do so.
That pretty much sums up my line of thinking. Glad I'm not alone.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM

7,493 posts, read 10,596,868 times
I believe in both but that's just me. To me, ghosts mean unfinished business. Not everybody who passes away has unfinished business.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:19 AM

4,622 posts, read 4,088,783 times
Many occult societies teach that there are things called "thought forms" which have a certain amount of intelligence and autonomy and may account for the ghosties we see and experience. Many religions teach that thoughts are living things and that praying can have a physical effect on an outcome.

I have given just two examples of how little we know and how much the occult and orthodox religions know and are not telling us.

People say that there are hundreds of thousands of documents in the Vatican Library. If that is true, and it is likely to be true, now... why would these documents be kept out of public view?

Maybe they discuss things like ghosties and other facts which we should know about.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:02 AM

8,735 posts, read 7,962,016 times
The Spiritual celestial being are real mostly evil and deceptive and substitute God who is real , as most cannot be seen in the physical eyes of man , but some slip in and can be seen ..... Seen a demonic spirit putting bacteria in my belly in the natural , it look like a grey haired no eyes four legged six inch beast , got ill and need antibiotics after this witness of a celestial beast spirit

Old 02-23-2014, 10:51 AM

8,279 posts, read 23,386,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
What about the possibility that ghosts are a purely physical phenomenon and may have nothing to do with the existence of any gods/heaven etc? I lean toward being agnostic but have had experiences with hauntings. Maybe they are trapped energy that exist within the physical universe and will also cease to exist after the universe collapses? Just some thoughts...what do you guys think?
Heaven/Hell, Purgatory, Limbo, etc. are purely religious concepts; places that we go after we die. Ghosts and such have nothing to do with that.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:55 AM

4,622 posts, read 4,088,783 times
Old thread I know, but still the scientist-types dont believe and want proof.

Posted by plwhit
Quote:
When I die the absolute last thing I want is to still be part of mankind.
If, when I die my spirit is liberated from this physical body I want to wander the Multiverse experiencing it's wonders....
Screw mankind, my family and friends? I love them dearly but the prospect of spending eternity with them? No thanks, I want broader horizons...
An interesting idea but why wait until you die to know what happens ?

If many people who have described of the Out-of-Body experiences are to be believed, you can do all of this now. There is nothing stopping us - particularly since those of us who are not believers do not have any fears we will be damned forever if we go against our religious rules. There ARE many people who have achieved this OOB experience multiple times and there appears to be no religious damnation which goes with it. IF it is a product of the biological brain then thats fine too, it just shows us we are in touch with more of this Universe than we thought and is worth investigating.

For example Robert Monroe's books describe his journey from a scientifically-minded objective point of view. He was someone who definitely did not believe in anything 'woo' at all yet due to his experiences began to believe there is more to us than merely a physical body and that the OOB part of us could go anywhere or any time.

We all have the means to 'prove' this to ourselves - if we want to. There are certainly a lot of people on this forum who SAY they want proof, but do they really?

Old 01-03-2017, 06:50 AM

997 posts, read 703,145 times
In my experience there is a creator. I am not mentioning any names.

Seeing ghosts doesn't mean that there is a higher power necessarily, but in my experience there is.

The 'spirits' that I deal with are much like 'thought forms' as OC Paul mentioned. They aren't real. They don't have wives and a 2 car garage at home. They are an experience for you to learn from or be scared by.. There is a reason.

They aren't harmless because they can hurt you.

Regardless of what you believe, people do have many varied experiences and they are real to them.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 PM

5,858 posts, read 4,550,166 times
I've experienced hauntings in two different houses. "Ghosts" might be interdimensional beings, or energy traces left by our activities. Some of them may be what a Jungian writer called "negative psychoid elements" -- what the major religions call demons. Or, some might be spiritually neutral beings from the multiverse (assuming such a thing exists) that appear here for their own purposes. All these are possible alternatives to the explanation that they're the spirits of the dead. None of these proposals require a belief in a permanent afterlife, or a god.

For the record, I'm an Orthodox Christian who believes in God, and I tend to believe some of these manifestations are demonic, and others are "stone tape" type manifestations rather than demonic. A small number of them are visitations by spirits of the dead (some saints have appeared after death, for example). There is an old tradition that the soul hangs around for 40 days after death, which is why there are several services for the departed in that period -- as well as another tradition that the soul passes through "celestial tollhouses" on the way to the afterlife, no doubt a hangover from the belief system of the gnostics.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:25 PM

997 posts, read 703,145 times
That question is almost like saying "I am real, and I saw some sea animals at the aquarium so I know that they are real. I saw it with my own eyes, Does that mean God is real? Because there are sea animals and land animals too?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal