Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,182 times

Advertisements

What about the possibility that ghosts are a purely physical phenomenon and may have nothing to do with the existence of any gods/heaven etc? I lean toward being agnostic but have had experiences with hauntings. Maybe they are trapped energy that exist within the physical universe and will also cease to exist after the universe collapses? Just some thoughts...what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,169 times
I'm agnostic as well. I believe in life after death though and perhaps some sort of entity that is farther advanced - more enlightened than we are. But I believe we make progress toward that enlightenment over time ourselves and on different levels of existence. I know it sounds New-Agey and I have no proof and don't claim to "know" - it's just what I've come up with based on my experience and research. The idea of "god" is actually pretty moot to me at this point. I've had paranormal experiences that were pretty powerful and I definitely believe - ghosts actually make sense to me. But I don't tie it to heaven/hell, etc., and don't find it contradictory not to do so.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
Ghosts are nothing more than beings passing between the folds of the Multiverse.

Nothing to do with heaven or gods.....

Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,500,550 times
Thinking there is no heaven or God is very depressing to me. Makes life seem unmeaningful.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:21 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Ghosts are nothing more than beings passing between the folds of the Multiverse.

Nothing to do with heaven or gods.....
Well I think the existence of ghost would at least open up the possibility that there is an afterlife. I think it's very shortsighted to believe in ghost and at the same time think that there is no possibility that there could be a heaven or an afterlife.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 AM

6,932 posts, read 6,866,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom
...Makes life seem unmeaningful
Ahh.. dreaming of what might be, rather than the reality of what is?

Assuming that our concept of an afterlife is correct is a pretty dodgy business, as there is no proof at all. It all boils down to our belief system and if we have backed the wrong horse and the afterlife does not exist (or is not how we expect,) then the years of our life spent dreaming of what it will be like have been wasted. Dont you agree? :-)

Better to get on with living and at the same time try to be good bunnies so that we get any afterlife benefits as a result. If there is an afterlife, of course.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,182 times
The fact that I've had experiences with ghosts is what leads me towards being agnostic rather than atheist. If there are ghosts then there is something after death but what that is who knows right? Why accept ghosts as the proof that there is a heaven/hell/god(s)? It may be that we will end up ghosts just kind of flitting around until the end of the physical universe? I think it's entirely possible. It makes the after life seem rather unappealing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Well I think the existence of ghost would at least open up the possibility that there is an afterlife. I think it's very shortsighted to believe in ghost and at the same time think that there is no possibility that there could be a heaven or an afterlife.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:07 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Thinking there is no heaven or God is very depressing to me. Makes life seem unmeaningful.
Heaven is a concept created by religions to help persuade followers in to more positve and virtuous acts. Ghost have nothing to do with religion. What I mean is they arent apart of any religion, you may see them in religious text only because they've been around for a millenia. Most of them were never human to begin with.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
What about the possibility that ghosts are a purely physical phenomenon and may have nothing to do with the existence of any gods/heaven etc? I lean toward being agnostic but have had experiences with hauntings. Maybe they are trapped energy that exist within the physical universe and will also cease to exist after the universe collapses? Just some thoughts...what do you guys think?
I think, there may be something to your knowledge of trapped energy, b/c I saw a special on TV once, it was about a family whose home they thought was haunted, however, the paranormal researches came in and discovered, that it was more like telephathy, as the mother, unbeknowst to her, had the ability to move things on the wall, when she became aggitated, upset, angry.

So, yes, I believe ghosts are energy, but also, I do believe there are tons of demenstions out there, and ghosts for some reason, haven't been able to get thru?

There are millions and billions of black holes, some very miniscule and other so huge we cannot comprehend, however, why not dimenstions?

I don't believe the universe will collapse, it's way to huge....but as to our world, yes, as every star burns out....
I'm not agnostic, but do not believe in God according to organized religions....

Quote:
Veteran ghost hunter Hans Holzer wrote, "A ghost is a human being who has passed out of the physical body, usually in a traumatic state and is not aware usually of his true condition. We are all spirits encased in a physical body. At the time of passing, our spirit body continues into the next dimension. A ghost, on the other hand, due to trauma, is stuck in our physical world and needs to be released to go on."
My family had some experience with hauntings....pretty interesting stuff...we would wake up at night, hearing a loud noise as if someone was stumbling up the steps....we heard voices, like a man and a woman whispering the first night in our new home....we both got up and went around to all the windows, b/c they were open and we thought someone was talking outside late at night....
My husband said, he fell asleep aside of the fireplace one night, and yanno those half moon shaped things that hold the wooden logs...well, we had put wood on it and he woke with a scare, someone had picked it up and dropped it on the hearth...I was upstairs sleeping. We found out later, a priest and nun had bought the place together, as a summer escape...and he tipped the bottle more times then not...which would explain, the noise of someone falling up the steps.

It's been years now, since, and as I write this, can't help but feeling a bit embarrassed, however, getting back to your question...I don't believe there is one reason, but several....another being, maybe they died to soon, before they got to accomplish what they're destiny, therefore, they are here on another plain/dimension...until they are able to somehow do that?

But I do believe anything is possible....

Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,185 times
If ghosts are real, God is real. End of story.

Oh, and I don't believe in ghosts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal