Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 02:24 PM

46 posts, read 29,990 times

Advertisements

Was Nostradamus for real?

Or is there.. an alternate explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 03:23 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
In my opinion, he was a product of his times. The people in charge wanted a seer, and he knew to keep things so incredibly vague that nothing could be discounted or proved, and so he stayed safe.

That's why his quatrains seem "relevant" today...because it means nothing and yet reads so deep that it must mean something.

Kinda like the poetry of Rod McKuen. Or America's lyrics.

So...fake.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:19 PM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Time is an illusion. Everything exists now. If you travel fast enough towards a distant star, you get to see its past because the light reaches you sooner than it would if you had been on Earth.

There exists a record of everything, both past and future. Everything depends on both individual and group decisions. This means there must be infinite worlds playing out infinite possibilities.

In numerous near death experiences, people have reported they were subject to a whole-life review. Religions the world over mention a review after death. If any of these stories are true, there must some way every thought, every action is recorded and if it is recorded, then it must be searchable and reviewable. It all makes sense to me if everything is energy and energy does not get destroyed.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:43 AM

46 posts, read 29,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Time is an illusion. Everything exists now. If you travel fast enough towards a distant star, you get to see its past because the light reaches you sooner than it would if you had been on Earth.

There exists a record of everything, both past and future. Everything depends on both individual and group decisions. This means there must be infinite worlds playing out infinite possibilities.

In numerous near death experiences, people have reported they were subject to a whole-life review. Religions the world over mention a review after death. If any of these stories are true, there must some way every thought, every action is recorded and if it is recorded, then it must be searchable and reviewable. It all makes sense to me if everything is energy and energy does not get destroyed.
Well, I do remember that matter and energy never gets destroyed, it only changes form; for example, setting a piece of paper on fire, it does not get destroyed, it only turns into ashy substance, but it is not destroyed.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:24 PM

997 posts, read 936,910 times
He was for real. He was an astrologer. I don't remember how he got his prophecies but he did.

There are a lot of people who are for real.

I don't know if you have heard of Mother Shipton

Prophecies of Mother Shipton

Her prophecies were pretty good, and they rhyme so that is more entertaining.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:01 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Last night on "Coast To Coast AM" with George Noory they had an expert on Nostradamus and an astrologer named John Hogue. The guy was unbelievably ridiculous and was way off on his predictions, even the ones that were vague and hard to define. So if that idiot tries to decipher Nostradamus predictions and prophecies, I wouldn't put much faith in them.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:13 AM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
There are some people who believe that Twitter and other social media language can predict current trends. I am sure the CIA supercomputer, when it is analysing our emails and phone conversations, tries to make connections between language and intention which may indicate a 'prophecy' of sorts.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:41 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Last night on "Coast To Coast AM" with George Noory they had an expert on Nostradamus and an astrologer named John Hogue. The guy was unbelievably ridiculous and was way off on his predictions, even the ones that were vague and hard to define. So if that idiot tries to decipher Nostradamus predictions and prophecies, I wouldn't put much faith in them.
>>>> My bad and my apologies to John Hogue. It was NOT John Hogue who made an ass of himself on Coast To Coast AM that night, but it was Anthony Carr. He's creepy as well and not just a phony prophet.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:26 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
In my opinion, he was a product of his times. The people in charge wanted a seer, and he knew to keep things so incredibly vague that nothing could be discounted or proved, and so he stayed safe.
This is what I believe too. Anyone claiming to have the power of clairvoyance is a charlatan because the future is not set.

Back when I was in high school friends started calling me "latter-day Nostradamus" because I was able to quickly spot trends that almost made it appear like I could see the future. I'm no seer but rather just a person who can exclude my own personal wants and prejudices when weighing out the possible and most likely outcome of a situation. Of course, super computers are able to do the same thing nowadays with an even greater degree of precision thanks to Big Data. For example, I'm sure that the NSA and CIA knew that Donald Trump would win the election well before November 8th, 2016 which may explain why FBI Director James Comey released his shocking October surprise on Presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton. By late October it was probably already crystal clear, thanks to predictive algorithms running on high-end super computers, that Trump was going to be the next President so Comey's actions don't seem as reckless or meddlesome when you factor Big Data in to the equation.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:46 PM

997 posts, read 936,910 times
A person could believe that they are clairvoyant, and they might believe that the future is written, in some way.

That would not make them a charlatan.

This is the definition of a charlatan: a person who falsely pretends to know or be something in order to deceive people —

If a person claims to have this ability, yet, they are not falsely pretending in order to deceive someone, they are not a charlatan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal