U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 05:31 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,975,730 times

Advertisements

I occasionally (but very rarely) have dreams in which I awake from a dream in the dream and think I'm awake only to later discover I was still dreaming. In several there were three stages (ie: I thought I had awakened from a dream in which I dreamed I woke up from a dream - but I was actually still dreaming and later awakened for real!). In one I even dreamed that I dreamed that I dreamed that I was dreaming (four stages!).

This has happened only a handful of times (I'm 56) and the process happens quickly toward the end of a dream, that is - there are not elaborate themes (at least not that I can recall) to each separate dream. Generally the "bottom" dream is the main one and soon after seeming to wake into the real world I wake up for real and go "woah! I dreamed that I woke up but wasn't really awake!".

Same for the 3's and the (one) 4 stage. Really weird!

My daughter took me to see the movie "Inception" when it came out and I had no clue what it was about before I saw it. Intriguing/fun movie but nothing like my much shallower experiences. I am generally non lucid and am convinced upon each false awakening that I am really awake.

The only four stage did happen some time after I saw the movie and though it was nothing like the movie - I wonder if my subconscious was influenced by what I saw and so managed to pull off a slightly more elaborate scheme?

I'm curious just how common this is.

Last edited by firstborn888; 04-09-2013 at 06:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,624,733 times
been there, done that, most people don't do it, some do, any kind of encounter you had during the day can effect your dreams.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 AM

1,839 posts, read 2,697,276 times
I have done this too.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,412,505 times
I've drempt that I'm dreaming before... in my experience anything that has gone through my mind can and does show up in dreams from time to time.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 PM

311 posts, read 406,227 times
This has happened to me. Strange feeling when you really wake up.The last time,I wasn't sure if I woke up and looked out the window or if the dream was that I woke up and looked out the window.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 PM

13,890 posts, read 19,374,858 times
False awakening - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, one, by conscious effort, may become aware of being in a dream state, and can become conscious inside a dream. It is a psychic state, and for one that learns how to attain such states, dream becomes just as real as any other reality - but with ability to control that reality to ones desires. This is similar to one of the after death states, or state of heaven, when reality a conscious Self is in is completely produced by its desires to ultimate happiness and produces reality that fulfills that desire.
I was aware of being able to become conscious within my dream several times. But, every time, I was afraid to take further step and "awake within the dream", or allow myself to become conscious inside my dream. My fear is that I may be stuck in that reality and not able to leave it.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:26 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,975,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
My fear is that I may be stuck in that reality and not able to leave it.
Naw... we're just not that lucky. You'll snap out of it instantly as soon as we wake up!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:21 PM

2,071 posts, read 3,128,066 times
This happens to me all the time. I have the craziest, most vivid dream world of anyone I know. Almost all my dreams are connected, lots of repetitive dreams, characters and themes that replay over and over. Often in a dream I'll remember a place or a person from my life, but when I wake up I realize that person never existed, that I was actually remembering them from another dream, almost as if I have two lives with two memories - waking and dreaming. It's really messed up.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 AM

652 posts, read 744,102 times
I have had dreams of infinite levels. I met Alan Turing and Issac Newton, they brought Nicola Tesla and we built a virtual time machine that could not break or be defeated.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 AM

643 posts, read 745,827 times
So how do you know if you're really awake now or dreaming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal