Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:34 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

I believe that people are psychic. I just think there are a lot of phony psychics and a fellow who actually had the talent believed if they made money on the gift it often disappeared. He truly believed this and only did readings when he felt they were needed and accepted nothing, or next to nothing for them.

Celebrity psychic Sylvia Browne hit for telling mom of Amanda Berry she was dead | Fox News

Not only did Sylvia tell Amanda's mom, in 2004, that Amanda was dead, but some of you probably remember her on Coast to Coast, telling us all what a miracle it was that the Pennsylvania miners were alive - when that was just misinformation and they were, indeed, dead.

My own theory is that the big name psychics did not get 'up there' by intelligent guessing and cold reading techniques. I think, at some point most were authentic. I believe that their powers often dwindle, for whatever reason, and they are stuck with no other profession, so they write books and if they are smart they stop with the predictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
That's not the only time she's done this. I, for one, think she is a fraud. If she ever had powers, she made the ones that gave them to her angry from her greed and money grubbing they took them away...

Old 05-09-2013, 05:05 PM

130 posts, read 226,376 times
Default Repent before it's too late you double-minded

The Bible says it's a sin to use your God given abilities to promote yourself, in any way, which means people like sylvia browne, the long island medium, miss cleo, john edward, james van praagh, and the amazing criswell are in dire need of repentance!

Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
I have never liked Sylvia Brown. I do believe that she has strong psychic ability. But every psychic has a different strong-point as to what they can 'see/know'. I think that because she is strong in one way, she is forced by public perception (as well as her own ego) to be the type of psychic that she is not.
It would be like me, a strong claircognizant, trying to be a medium.
She needs to just stick to what she is good at.
However, psychics can be wrong. The right information is given or there, but the psychic mistranslates/misunderstands it.
But....with death and life, that is not hard to misunderstand.
Sylvia charges over $700 for an hour session....I don't care how good a psychic is, that is way too much money to charge. That alone, legit or not is a big red flag to me.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:35 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post
The Bible says it's a sin to use your God given abilities to promote yourself, in any way, which means people like sylvia browne, the long island medium, miss cleo, john edward, james van praagh, and the amazing criswell are in dire need of repentance!
So a prodigy pianist cannot promote themselves?
They have a 'god given' talent.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That's not the only time she's done this. I, for one, think she is a fraud. If she ever had powers, she made the ones that gave them to her angry from her greed and money grubbing they took them away...
About forty-five years ago, I knew a man who had lived with Edgar Cayce and his wife in order to study him and write his doctoral thesis (as I recall) on Cayce. He once said that when Cayce had at one time decided to set up on a profit-making basis, his powers rapidly dwindled and he dropped the idea.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:22 PM

130 posts, read 226,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
So a prodigy pianist cannot promote themselves?
They have a 'god given' talent.
I'm talking about spiritual gifts such as mentioned in the bible. i.e. prayer, speaking in tongues, faith, healing, etc. Playing piano not one of them.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:21 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,568 times
I met Sylvia Browne once. It was in passing, she was at a Macy's I was at and my mom practically pushed me at her. She looked at me, cupped my cheek with her big hand and big nails and said "you're a very nice person with a good heart". So she must be for real!!

LOL JK...seriously though... I don't know what to think. It's a shame that Amanda's mother died before she was able to see her daughter again, and believing what Sylvia told her.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Whether Sylvia is a fraud or not... she has no right commenting publicly on people's personal lives and anguishes...

IMO her track record indicates she is either a fraud or severely clouded

Old 05-11-2013, 12:04 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
She's a good actor, That's it. There are scores of seers, prophets, And soothsayers who "know" the future and can connect with the spirit world. All for $3.99 a minute. The gift does exist I think, But not in this way. And in a very small amount of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal