Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:18 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,102,017 times

Advertisements

I know it's a morbid and odd topic, but that is par for the course in this forum and I figured a discussion on it would be interesting.

I am not looking for heaven/hell type of discussion (unless that is really your thing and you must), but more of the actual mind/body experience.

I know imagining complete blankness is a hard thing for the human mind to grasp...because, after all- we are "imagining" in the first place with our functioning/living minds.

What do you think happens? Do you think your mind continues to function for a period after death and you begin to somewhat dream a normal set of dreams...just never awake? I think the mind is a fascinating creation and the sparks and processes it goes through inside there could provide somewhat of function after the heart ceases to function.

When I really try to imagine what death will feel like...I imagine that moment right when you fall asleep: you can't really pinpoint the exact moment you fell asleep, all you know (after the fact) is that you were awake at one moment and then NOT awake. Blankness between your dream and/or waking up. That is the closing thing I can conclude to feeling "blank."

I don't really buy the "out of body" experiences where people see themselves floating away, I don't really agre with the "light at the end of the tunnel", and I don't think your mind suddenly hits play on a replay of your life either. However, if you do- I'd like to hear your explanation on why you think a certain situation could arise.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:59 PM

416 posts, read 536,447 times
After a 4 month illness in 2004 I was home alone and as I closed my eyes hoping for the end to come I felt myself getting peacefully numb and everything was getting darker and smaller except for the middle which was getting extremely brighter. It only lastest a short time and then a few minutes later it happened again. This time I saw (not in detail) a maternal relative. I was asking (without words) to be taken with her. She kept telling me (without spoken words) that it was not my time and that I had to go back, regain my health and to prepare to help my wife. My wife had never been sick in all the years we were together. I still wanted to go but at that point I was back in pain and awake. I had tried 12 doctors and 45 different prescriptions. No help. Countless trips to the ER and Urgent Care. No help. I didn`t give up and somehow found an ad for a Homeopathic Dr. Made an appointmnet. Went for 2 visits. Received Accupunture and a few vitamin prescriptions. Made a complete recovery and to this day feel great every day. Ironic part of my story is that right around that time my wife was having serious digestion issues. After a year of being misdiagnosed she wound up in Urgent Care. It only took the Dr. about 10 minutes to realize what was going on and he sent us to the ER. The short end to it is she had cancer and needed immediate surgery. She was in a panic and I told her (for the first time) about what happened to me and she didn`t have to worry. We were the only two believers and since 2005 she has also been in great health again. It also changed both of us on an emotional level. We enjoy every day more than we ever did before. I for one believe there are no coinsidences and when my time is truly up I will pass without any fear. For me it is no longer something to be afraid of.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,776,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I know it's a morbid and odd topic, but that is par for the course in this forum and I figured a discussion on it would be interesting.

I am not looking for heaven/hell type of discussion (unless that is really your thing and you must), but more of the actual mind/body experience.

I know imagining complete blankness is a hard thing for the human mind to grasp...because, after all- we are "imagining" in the first place with our functioning/living minds.

What do you think happens? Do you think your mind continues to function for a period after death and you begin to somewhat dream a normal set of dreams...just never awake? I think the mind is a fascinating creation and the sparks and processes it goes through inside there could provide somewhat of function after the heart ceases to function.

When I really try to imagine what death will feel like...I imagine that moment right when you fall asleep: you can't really pinpoint the exact moment you fell asleep, all you know (after the fact) is that you were awake at one moment and then NOT awake. Blankness between your dream and/or waking up. That is the closing thing I can conclude to feeling "blank."

I don't really buy the "out of body" experiences where people see themselves floating away, I don't really agre with the "light at the end of the tunnel", and I don't think your mind suddenly hits play on a replay of your life either. However, if you do- I'd like to hear your explanation on why you think a certain situation could arise.

Thoughts?
Personally I believe in life after death. But as it was explained to me, in reference to not knowing what happens in death, the question was posed......did you know what happened before you were born? Same concept. Did you worry about things before you were born?

It's as if you never existed and your life meant nothing? I don't believe that, hence the reason I think in some capacity life goes on.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:53 PM

7,201 posts, read 15,004,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post

It's as if you never existed and your life meant nothing?
In the larger scheme of things, no, our life doesn't mean anything. Who would it mean anything to? Once those who love us also die, there is no more memory of us.

Quote:
I don't believe that, hence the reason I think in some capacity life goes on.
Realizing of how little importance we really are in time, in space, in this life and this world can be hard to accept. There is no survival or evolutionary advantage to a life after death for either man or animal.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:15 AM

20,063 posts, read 20,877,739 times
When you're dead you're dead. Period, end of story, game over, bye bye.
It sucks, especially for people of strong faith, but it is what it is. Hopefully the government won't figure out a way to tax us after we're gone.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 AM

113 posts, read 152,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
When you're dead you're dead. Period, end of story, game over, bye bye.
It sucks, especially for people of strong faith, but it is what it is. Hopefully the government won't figure out a way to tax us after we're gone.

This. I'm gone. My body rots.

They can try to tax me when I'm gone but since I'm gone it won't matter. I no longer exist.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:12 PM

8,566 posts, read 10,989,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoathere View Post
This. I'm gone. My body rots.

They can try to tax me when I'm gone but since I'm gone it won't matter. I no longer exist.
You are correct to a point.
As a human entity you no longer exist, but the soul, which is no longer a part of your human existence, will live on.
The soul will carry on, knowing of the human existence it just disembarked from.
Your existence here in this world has ended, and all thought process along with it, for the human body is only matter, and matter sooner or later will decompose.
Odd how that works, but obviously it was the creator's plan.
As humans we do not have the capacity to know the spirit world, and how we,as spirits go about our existence,but spirits, on the other hand, know future lives, as well as past lives, even though many of those past lives may have been lived hundreds, perhaps thousands of years ago.
I think that if we humans were to know the spiritual existence in detail, many would perhaps panic and suicide rates would be astronomical.
Some of us are fortunate in that we are allowed some knowledge of spirits, and the life once we leave our human form behind, while many will never have the experience of knowing.
Knowing much of the unknown, as it relates to the world of spirits, would certainly take it's toll on mortal man.
We are not meant to know many of these things, and that is why we don't.
Bob.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,677,517 times
As a young child, in my moments of universal connectedness (though at the time I had no idea what was happening), I 'discovered' or was 'informed' that our bodies are just a physical manifestation of our spirit/soul/consciousness. That before we are born and after we die, there is another state of being and awareness.
Once I got older and looked into such subjects, I find that for centuries, mystics, prophets and other spiritual teachers speak of exactly what I had come to know.
However in this modern day and age, it take a whole lot more than just someone speaking from the divine & enlightened spirit with, people want scientific proof of such things...
well...here it is....a working theory anyway, because that is where all proof of anything has it's start.
Scientists Claim That Quantum Theory Proves Consciousness Moves To Another Universe At Death | Spirit Science and Metaphysics

Last edited by OwlKaMyst; 01-11-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 01:58 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
If your brain cells turn to soup how can you think after death? I am all for nothing! To think anything else goes against everything I have learned. By the way; what is so bad about nothing - no pain and no suffering?

Old 01-11-2014, 02:01 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,677,349 times
I have been with patients who have "died" and come back.
I ask them if they remember anything. One man said," No. it was total darkness." He don`t remember anything.
Another woman said that she saw her deceased sister, and she was telling her it was not her time yet.
She said that she walked her back, and she was back in her body.
Another lady told me that she saw an amazing bright light, and a man with a robe on and sandals took her left hand and walked her down this hallway. She said that she never saw his face, just profile. She said she came to this glass window, that looked like a beautiful stain glass, and saw her deceased husband sitting on the other side.
She explained that this man told her it was not her time, and she has to go back." She said she remembers waking up in her body, and after that happened, she grew spiritually!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal