Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 11:23 AM

42 posts, read 141,955 times

Advertisements

My son died. He was a baby. I generally spent most of my time in my room, laying in bed, crying after this.

Then I suddenly heard toys playing. No one was in the house and these toys would turn on or sound like they had moved. I was in my bed so I didn't see them move, I just heard it. Internet was dial-up back then, and the internet would suddenly try to connect. And one day, the TV turned out and it was playing the theme song to "All in the Family." Then we had a snow, which is rare where we live. And outside my window, in the backyard which had a security fence, was a snow angel, with no footprints leading up to it.

Shortly after, I found out I was pregnant again. But just before I found out I was pregnant, as I had taken years to get pregnant with my son, I did not think it would happen, I dreamt angels came to me and told me I was pregnant and it was a boy and his name was <>. The next day, I purchased a pregnancy test and took it. It was positive! Later, my next son was born with the same bruises on his face as his older brother. We compared the pictures and it was identical. The really odd part of that was, it is normal to have bruising with a vaginal birth, which the first baby was. But the second baby was a c-sect with no labor. How did he get the bruises?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 12:16 PM

25,707 posts, read 18,784,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
It doesn't matter what Chango thinks, he's entitled to his own opinion.
Of course he's entitled to his own opinion. That post wasn't meant as an argument or disagreement. Everything we do is conjecture (opinion, belief) when attempting to explain the unknown. All we have to work with is our opinions of the unknown based on our known experiences.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:04 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
It doesn't matter what Chango thinks, he's entitled to his own opinion. We all know what we've experienced, don't let someone else tell u what happened, when u know what the truth is.
I'm not trying to tell people what they saw, just offering my thoughts and potential alternate perspectives. I didn't see what the OP saw and I'm not trying to shoot anybody down here.

It's kinda funny actually; I don't get along with people who believe hard in the supernatural in this forum and am ridiculed for being too skeptical... but when I talk about this stuff to hardcore science types who frequent their forum I get the same treatment for even suggesting this stuff is real. Is there no middle ground?!

Anyway, back to logic and reason...when things very similar to those portrayed in popular movies are reported my first instinct is naturally to consider that explanation. Even if the event happened before the movie, the movie may have "flavored" the memory. I wonder with my own experiences if I unconsciously "wrote" the face of the dead girl's picture into my ghost memory too.

Stuff like that is just normal human psychology and it happens ALL THE TIME. Memories aren't hard copies locked in time; they are ever fluid and changing, always being "rewritten" every time we recall them. Childhood memories are especially suspect for that reason, as our brains have done a lot of growing and changing since were 10.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:24 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,837,152 times
Ease up, I agree with Chango, I think he's right - we're discussing something that none of us has absolutely nailed down, so as far as I'm concerned, all opinions are valid discussions.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:21 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
I've had one experience with what could be called a ghost. I rented a house for about five years. It was my daughter and I and for a couple of those years, we had a housemate, a long-time friend of mine who was undergoing cancer treatment. She was home during the day while I was at work and my daughter was at school.

The house was an ordinary two-story house, built in the 1890s, with an old stone basement. A couple of times when I was in the dining room, I could swear that I saw a figure out of the corner of my eye moving through the dining room and then into a short little hallway that led to the basement door. I would turn and look, but there was nothing to see. I thought it was my eyes and/or brain playing tricks. But it happened a couple of times and always in that area of the house. When I thought I saw it again the next time, I did not turn my head but tried to figure out what I was seeing using my peripheral vision. I had the impression of a tallish, thin man, wearing a hat and a long coat. He paused for a second at the basement door before disappearing. It unnerved me a bit because I really felt at this point that it was something more than my imagination.

A few days later I was driving my housemate somewhere, and she began to talk about the house. She said, "Sometimes I get a little creeped out when I'm alone during the day. I think I hear footsteps upstairs when I'm downstairs, and sometimes I hear a door slam inside the house." Then she was silent for a minute, and then she said, "And sometimes I think I see somebody." I said, "What do you see?" She said, "A tall guy with a hat. He walks through the dining room and goes down into the basement." I'm telling you, the hair on my arms literally stood up and I had to pull the car over and park it, and I told her, "I've seen him, too."

One day not long after that, I was home during the day, and we were talking, and all of a sudden a door slammed. I said, "What was that?" and my friend said, "That's what I was telling you about." So, we went to the back door and we opened it and let it slam shut, but that wasn't the sound. Then we went to the basement door and opened it and slammed it, and sure enough--that matched what we had heard.

Not long after that, I took in my brother's girlfriend's cats after she lost her place. Every so often the cats would suddenly jump up and run to the basement door, scratching at it, and reaching their paws under the door. They saw him, too.

There was nothing scary about this guy other than the fact that some image was walking through the house. It was not as though it was some sort of entity that seemed aware of us--it almost seemed like a memory retained by the house, some little piece of of a past time that was crossing into ours. It happened infrequently, and never when we were thinking about it or expecting it. I didn't tell my daughter, who was a young teenager at the time, because she had some anxiety issues and I didn't think she needed to hear about it. After we moved from there, she was petting one of the cats (whose owner never took them back, lol) in our new place and she said, "I remember when we lived on Center Street and Foxy would suddenly look past me and stare as if she could see something I couldn't see. It used to creep me out." I just kept my mouth shut!

She's an adult now. Maybe I'll bring this up someday.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-16-2013 at 08:29 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 11:05 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
"it almost seemed like a memory retained by the house"

That happened to my brother. When he was at home alone and in the basement, he'd hear footsteps above and a door close. A couple of times when he followed those sounds, he saw what looked like a middle aged guy dressed in jeans and a long sleeved work shirt walking through the living room toward the front door.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:07 AM

366 posts, read 644,958 times
The house we lived in where I saw that figure was a half-way house for drug addicts prior us living there. I found out from the neighbors. Imagine all the stuff that went down there and it isn't hard to guess that some thing might be stuck there.

I find it very hard to believe in ghosts and spirits since I believe in science more than anything. There are very peculiar things the mind can do with the right training, diet etc. If all that energy is locked in our mind, it wouldn't be hard to explain WHY we leave energy residual. I would be the first to discount the incident, as a child's memory, but I cant since it was seen heard by someone else at the same time I saw it.

ON A SIDE NOTE:

Diet, training and exercise can make our minds do super things. I got on a high Omega 3 diet , and would wake up as if I had drank a kettle of coffee. MY mind was so sharp that I could recall the very smallest details of conversations from weeks ago.

I bring this up because we are just now learning of what the human body is made of, what the mind can do and what exactly is the material life is formed from. String theory leaves a big opening for ghosts and paranormal activity. Thinking of it this way makes it easier for me to believe and understand.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 AM

933 posts, read 1,477,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
The house we lived in where I saw that figure was a half-way house for drug addicts prior us living there. I found out from the neighbors. Imagine all the stuff that went down there and it isn't hard to guess that some thing might be stuck there.

I find it very hard to believe in ghosts and spirits since I believe in science more than anything. There are very peculiar things the mind can do with the right training, diet etc. If all that energy is locked in our mind, it wouldn't be hard to explain WHY we leave energy residual. I would be the first to discount the incident, as a child's memory, but I cant since it was seen heard by someone else at the same time I saw it.

ON A SIDE NOTE:

Diet, training and exercise can make our minds do super things. I got on a high Omega 3 diet , and would wake up as if I had drank a kettle of coffee. MY mind was so sharp that I could recall the very smallest details of conversations from weeks ago.

I bring this up because we are just now learning of what the human body is made of, what the mind can do and what exactly is the material life is formed from. String theory leaves a big opening for ghosts and paranormal activity. Thinking of it this way makes it easier for me to believe and understand.
I've heard a lot about the string theory. I even tried to look it up on wikipedia, but had NO IDEA what I was reading. Can anyone give an extremely simplified version of what that theory is?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I've heard a lot about the string theory. I even tried to look it up on wikipedia, but had NO IDEA what I was reading. Can anyone give an extremely simplified version of what that theory is?
The elementary version:

Basically we have very good descriptions of how the quantum world (molecules, atoms and stuff very small) works and good descriptions of how the macro world (us, planets, galaxies, ect) works but the two sides are incompatable.

Therefore the "Holy Grail" of physics is to find a new unified theory that works in both realms.

String theory (actually several different theories; the latest is M theory) actually does work to do that, but only if there are 11 dimensions.

A dimension is a mathematical concept, not a thing or place. In many ways it's just a more complete point of view; the common explanation is to imagine an ant on a wire; from a distance the wire appears a line but from the ant's perspective it a conical structure they can circle around or go up and down the wire.

I don't think anyone truly understands the concept because our minds aren't built to comprehend anything beyond 4 dimesions. (three dimensions + time), so think of other dimensions as other steps up the ladder of universal comprehension beyond what we can currently perceive.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,347 times
Me and my husband experienced this with a shadow we called ghost dog. We rented the downstairs apt in a two family home. The lady who lived there prior to us was the owner and her kids had moved her downstairs to the smaller apt and got her a home health aid when she became demented. This woman had a dog and the dog had died before they took her to the nursing home.

We lived in the apt a few months before she died and never saw anything until then.

After the old lady died on separate occasions one of us would be brushing our teeth with the bathroom door open. It happened to him first. He looked into the mirror and saw the shadow of a dog or very short creature that moved like a dog run past and into what used to be the old lady's bedroom. When it happened to him I was skeptical and then it happened to me not to long after. I came out of the bedroom and looked for the baby...sound asleep in the play pen. We found the old leash in a little closet under the staircase and threw it out. It only happened a few times and it was always on the same track from the hallway to the bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

There was nothing scary about this guy other than the fact that some image was walking through the house. It was not as though it was some sort of entity that seemed aware of us--it almost seemed like a memory retained by the house, some little piece of of a past time that was crossing into ours. It happened infrequently, and never when we were thinking about it or expecting it. I didn't tell my daughter, who was a young teenager at the time, because she had some anxiety issues and I didn't think she needed to hear about it. After we moved from there, she was petting one of the cats (whose owner never took them back, lol) in our new place and she said, "I remember when we lived on Center Street and Foxy would suddenly look past me and stare as if she could see something I couldn't see. It used to creep me out." I just kept my mouth shut!

She's an adult now. Maybe I'll bring this up someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal