Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Just finished "Dead Mountain".
Pretty much debunks the paramormal and conspiracy stuff. The tv docs and YT videos really over exaggerate and over emphasize the oogie-boogie stuff.
When presented with facts, science, and logic, this story ends up being a horrible human tragedy and nothing more than that. Case closed.
This is a little less hyperbolic than "OMG aliens" too.

Dyatlov Pass Incident - Questions and Answers
I'm interested now in reading Dead Mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
I'm hooked. I'm on my fourth book in less than a week!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Just finished "Dead Mountain".
Pretty much debunks the paramormal and conspiracy stuff. The tv docs and YT videos really over exaggerate and over emphasize the oogie-boogie stuff.
When presented with facts, science, and logic, this story ends up being a horrible human tragedy and nothing more than that. Case closed.
If anyone would have wanted to "debunk" paranormal stuff, that would have been Soviet authorities themselves. They had no interest in acknowledging anything paranormal to general public. They couldn't debunk it; there were too many witnesses to learn that something abnormal happened in this case. And those "flying orbs" - they were described in the article in the local newspaper about that time. I saw that article.
So all this latter "debunking" are pure speculations - leave it to American authors to make extra $$$$.

Out of all paranormal cases this case and Rendelsham forest come across as real thing. Just because of too many witnesses; in case of Dyatlov's Pass in particular.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Definitely not paranormal. From all of the research I've been doing it's leaning more towards panic and human error. It's actually a bit disappointing because you kinda hope it was some spooky oogie boogie event.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:51 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,271 times
Quote:
Definitely not paranormal. From all of the research I've been doing it's leaning more towards panic and human error. It's actually a bit disappointing because you kinda hope it was some spooky oogie boogie event.
Flying orange glowing orbs! Also, these were experienced, seasoned climbers. I've been around many many folks like this in the mountains of Alaska and these type of people generally do not have a panic type nature about them. If they did, they wouldn't have been there in the first place. People who engage in these sorts of expeditions are rational even in death and to their final moments in life. It's just how they are wired and relate to emergencies. Eyes and tongues were missing. The entire case is bizarre.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:

What "all the research I've been doing?"
Do you even know Russian to do this so-called "research?"
Of course it's paranormal. A friend of mine ( a Brit) asked me about this case few years ago and gave me a wiki link. I've never heard about it before, I don't really look into paranormal stuff too much, but per his request I did dig into it and found plenty of material in Russian back then - with photo archives of documents including. It was very clear that both investigators ( and Ivanov in particular,) when faced with all the facts presented to them, simply couldn't report back to the authorities that the reason behind those hikers death was "panic and human error." Everything they've learned was pointing at quite the opposite, that it was clearly an abnormal event. Only if some of contemporary so-called "researchers" are totally in denial of what those investigators were faced with, then yeah, sure - it becomes all of a sudden all about "panic and human error."

Last edited by erasure; 01-07-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Flying orange glowing orbs! Also, these were experienced, seasoned climbers. I've been around many many folks like this in the mountains of Alaska and these type of people generally do not have a panic type nature about them. If they did, they wouldn't have been there in the first place. People who engage in these sorts of expeditions are rational even in death and to their final moments in life. It's just how they are wired and relate to emergencies. Eyes and tongues were missing. The entire case is bizarre.
Not only Kholmogorova's tongue went missing, but according to autopsy it went missing while she was still alive, because of the amount of blood found in her stomach. So she was probably unconscious at that point, but still alive - that was the conclusion.
Overall, when they've found the first few hikers, everyone thought that it was just a mishap and a head of
tourist dpt. ( or whatever his position was) was immediately fired for "inadequate training and preparation of students," so nobody was treating the area as a crime scene, initially. Only few months later, when they've found the rest of the hikers, everyone realized that something awry took place.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM

I'm still going with not paranormal.
However in *my* mind I haven't ruled out a government conspiracy/cover up. I have gone through hours and hours of info and documentation on the net including the Russian stuff. Am I an expert all of a sudden? Hell no! Ha ha! But I think I've become fairly informed on all the different scenarios and theories and my personal oppinion is that it was not due to paranormal circumstances.

That all said, this is very interesting and I'm enjoying all the various thoughts and oppinions on the subject so let's keep this going!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Not only Kholmogorova's tongue went missing, but according to autopsy it went missing while she was still alive, because of the amount of blood found in her stomach. So she was probably unconscious at that point, but still alive - that was the conclusion.
Overall, when they've found the first few hikers, everyone thought that it was just a mishap and a head of
tourist dpt. ( or whatever his position was) was immediately fired for "inadequate training and preparation of students," so nobody was treating the area as a crime scene, initially. Only few months later, when they've found the rest of the hikers, everyone realized that something awry took place.
P.S. I'm sorry, I meant Dubinina, not Kholmogorova - she was found later, so I was talking about her autopsy.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
I saw the movie last night after reading the Wiki article and boy...it started off so good but then, WHY??? I didn't like the direction they took with finishing the movie up- kind of cheesy to me.

---

Anyhow, I think the scientific reason mixed with a natural disaster occurred simultaneously or over a short period of time. Something like a few of them died while a couple were trying to fight through...they got disoriented and a little crazy...and then possibly an avalanche finished them off and would explain the internal wounds.

I explain the missing tongue and eyes by animals...or, maybe a combination of forced cannibalism? If you were going to eat someone and didn't have sharp utensils...maybe the tongue is the easiest part to remove?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal