U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:28 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,641,400 times

Advertisements

What is your take on this?
I will share my views on it later in this post, but for now, what do you think?
Real or imagined?
http://traffic.outbrain.com/network/...rigSrc=1534128
Bob.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 03:38 AM

3,943 posts, read 5,818,500 times
My son went to Heaven, and all I got was this lousy No. 1 Bestseller! hHAAAAAAA Dads already been busted by a couple of his friends with this hoax. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Old 06-30-2013, 04:48 PM

10,144 posts, read 18,605,516 times
I tend to believe in near death stories in general, but this particular one seems a little too market hype slick to me. It could be true, but I was turned off by the presentation. They say that Christians see Jesus and Muslims see Muhammed and I don't have any trouble with that--I'm sure God sent more than one messenger and God can surely take any shape we need him/her to take so I don't see that as an argument against NDE's. (That last sentence was in reference to the link from the second post.)

Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,641,400 times
My take on this particular event is that it is B.S.
Obviously there are many different beliefs in the world concerning the afterlife, and who's to say which belief is the correct one?
I can only go by what I have studied over the years to form my own belief.
I don't believe when a soul departs it's earthly bondage, that it gets an automatic trip to heaven, where it encounters Jesus, or any one else.
That possibility is nothing more than a human condition, brought on by religious zealots throughout the centuries.
I also think that when we die, our souls do indeed gather in a spot where we may meet and greet others we knew, in previous lives, but that place is not heaven, but more like a way station.
There we reside until such time that we are ready to re-incarnate once again.
Heaven is reserved for only the purist of souls, and if a soul were pure enough to enter heaven, there would be no need for it to return to any earthly bonds.
This kid obviously had a wild hallucination while under the knife, and his daddy is making big bucks off the event.
That is it, plain and simple.
Bob.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:04 AM

10,144 posts, read 18,605,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I also think that when we die, our souls do indeed gather in a spot where we may meet and greet others we knew, in previous lives, but that place is not heaven, but more like a way station.
There we reside until such time that we are ready to re-incarnate once again.
Heaven is reserved for only the purist of souls, and if a soul were pure enough to enter heaven, there would be no need for it to return to any earthly bonds.
This kid obviously had a wild hallucination while under the knife, and his daddy is making big bucks off the event.
That is it, plain and simple.
Bob.
Yes agreed, but I also believe that the way station you refer to may be mistaken for heaven by most people, since most people seem to consider an NDE as an extremely blissful experience. Most people who've had the experience I mean.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 AM

13,724 posts, read 16,794,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
My son went to Heaven, and all I got was this lousy No. 1 Bestseller! hHAAAAAAA Dads already been busted by a couple of his friends with this hoax. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/ma...anted=all&_r=0
I went to this link thinking it was going to be about friends of the dad, but there was nothing about that in the link. I'd like to know what the friends said. I haven't heard anything about that.

About the near death experience. I do believe in near death experiences. I do believe heaven is real. But something about this story doesn't sit right with me. I think maybe parts of it are true. Maybe he did see his sister and maybe he did see his great grandfather. I have no explanation for those things. But I think parts of it are a result of being the son of a preacher and hearing what heaven is SUPPOSED to be like. Also, the presentation of it all seems a little too staged and maybe coached to me.

Some things that made me wonder. People have wings and wear halos? Where did that come from? I know we see pictures of angels with wings and halos, but my understanding from the Bible is that we don't become angels when we die. There are angels, but WE won't be angels.

People who die when they are older look in their late 20s-30? And kids who die young age to the age of late 20s-30 while in heaven? Is this something he was "told" when he was in heaven or something he thought of later? Just sounds a little fishy to me. I have heard people who say they have had NDEs say that they saw a relative and the person was the way they looked when they were young. I don't doubt that. But I doubt how this boy came upon that information. He was only 3 years old at the time. It seems like he "remembered" things as he got older or maybe just learned new things and incorporated them.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:51 AM

10,353 posts, read 23,228,339 times
I read that book and I think most of it was made up. Seriously, you can't get into heaven unless you accept Jesus as your savior first? Where are the non believers going to go? Purgatory? (catholic)I think that kid had one very active imagination. Man made religions always think they have the answer.
As for people being young again on the other side, when I have seen them in dream visitations, most of the people/family members I knew that have died have looked younger. Including all of my cats and other pets from the past. I think it's that golden glow surrounding everyone that makes them look younger. Just my take on it.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:34 PM

13,724 posts, read 16,794,107 times
I think it would have been more convincing if it had not been from a pastor's son. I watched an episode of "I Survived - Beyond and Back," a series about near-death experiences, one time and a person described what happened to her as a little girl when she was hit by a car and died and came back to life. She explained that her family didn't go to church, didn't talk about religion or afterlife or anything like that, so she really had no concept of that at all. I think she was about 4:00. So when I heard her story, it sounded more credible to me than the "Heaven Is Real" story because I would expect a pastor's son who had grown up his whole life to have preconceived notions about life and death and that might affect what he thought he remembered. With her having no experience with that before, her story seemed more believable to me.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:01 AM

4,531 posts, read 4,023,002 times
I think most of the problem starts with our using the word "heaven". Of course - everyone wants their loved ones to be somewhere nice and pleasant. Would the stranglehold which orthodox religion has on its members be so great if there was not something 'wonderful' after death? The promise of life-after-death in a nice place holds a lot of persuasive power for some people.

I am a little (lot) cynical about these images of 'heaven' from whatever religion and I personally would rather believe the old occult descriptions of astral, and higher realms if there are such things. That is far more likely to be an unbiased view of the place where we go to since it does not depend on the membership of an elitist group of believers.

Still... whatever works for you individually I suppose.

My own belief is that there are levels (but that implies higher are 'better' which I dont think they are) which are keyed to the amount of energy accretion you can sustain during your life here. Now if you get that by being a door-mat, doing 'good deeds' and being holy and humble, then fine, but I tend to think it may be about doing the right spiritual exercises, much like physical exercise builds muscle. Wasn't that what all the occult societies said? oh yes it was.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:33 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,224,165 times
When you die whatever you believe to be heaven for a while until you get comfortable with the idea your DEAD is what it will be. After that and what is explained to you, religion, beliefs, sins, etc etc is all changed and probably confusing. :-) Then your veil on what your soul learned experienced and available guides your "thoughts" to bring about a complete understanding.

Choices, connections and knowledge will now determine your new adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal