Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 04:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Years ago (at least 20) when we were still on 1AESS (US Worst) the phone would sometimes ring and when I'd answer I'd get plopped into the middle of somebody else's (completely random) call. It had to do with how three-way calling was implemented on that switch. Your voice path wouldn't be connected so you could yell and scream at them as much as you wanted but they wouldn't hear you, but you could certainly sit there and listen. Then you'd get the same thing only it would hold your line up and you would not get your dial tone back until they hung up. Apparently these were not uncommon phenomena especially if your CO used a certain type of AT$T multiplexing channel bank like mine did, since they were frequently known to go bad. This started happening quite a lot near the end of the 1A era when they decided to not put any more time and money into maintaining their failing 1970s-vintage equipment since they were cutting over to 5ESS and digital local trunks and concentrators in the early 2000s, and basically disappeared after that point.

It's called "attenuation" and "carrier noise" --- analog phenomena that are now largely relics of the past since fiber T/E digital carrier systems replaced the various analog carrier systems pretty much everywhere in the developed world by the start of the 2000s. FYI, it's not difficult to simulate that effect on the fly with creative usage of just about any $30 laptop and a cheap phone patch (inter box). Carrier noise can be downloaded (cough cough evan-doorbell.com cough cough) sampled and looped to provide the white-noise and any crosstalk effect. Not hard to do at all.

As a fone phreak I would have immediately hung up and dismissed it as an obvious prank by somebody with a REALLY sick sense of humor or way too much free time.

"+" is a widely-recognised (I think it was even standardised in an ITU recommendation) symbol for "insert your country's overseas calling prefix here". So for example if a British guy gave you his business card that lists his phone number as +44 (0)2345 123-456 and you're calling from the US, that "+" indicates you need to dial 011 before the rest of the number and leave out the "0" in parentheses. That's all it means. Some GSM cell phones have a "+" key that takes care of it automatically so you'd just key in the number as it's given, plus sign and all.
Bless your heart, of course you would have.

Last edited by MPowering1; 05-12-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 12:42 AM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
I'll tell you another story that happened to me in 2004 and this involved an electronic device, though not a phone.

We have a local author who does books about haunted locations all over the state. She also used to go around doing talks at local bookstores.

I was quite a fan and during one of her appearances I approached her and told her about a haunted historical location that I worked at. She asked me to submit my stories to her on email for publication in her next book.

So I did just that a few months later after collecting stories and quotes from co-workers about their experiences at the site.

I emailed it all to her, saved the document on my hard drive and yahoo account, and she acknowledged receipt of it all.

As the months moved toward the publication date, she emailed me several times, thanking me for the narrative and expressing excitement about including it in her next book.

One night I got a phone call from her. She told me that the book was ready for the local printer but that somehow MY narrative submission had been lost on her hard drive and paper files! She was very upset about this and asked if I could resend them to her immediately. I said ''of course''.

I looked on my hard drive, no file. On my original email, no file. On my yahoo account, no file. In my recycle bin, no file.

It was no where to be found on my computer or hers!

It was then that I recalled a story of hers in her first book about spirits working through computers when another woman kept emailing her a story about her deceased dad and the email would not go through and letters sent never arrived.

The book was published, my name is in the credits, but my stories do not appear. I never found them. I guess the ghosts wanted their privacy.
HappyDogToday in post #12 - I was interested to read that as it reminded me of the Mandela Effect. People remembering someone (usually celebrity) has died but cannot find any physical evidence for it now, or they are still alive in the present time-line.

I have this theory that there are leaps between time-lines. This happens every so often for individuals or groups of people and the physical universe changes around us. This story is a classic example of how it works - in the new time-line you never sent the email to the author but both you and the author remembered you doing it from the old time-line.

Maybe there is something to my theory?

Old 05-20-2019, 07:59 PM

987 posts, read 779,266 times
Yes, on my cell phone after my mom died , and I had signs after she passed but I want to say hello via a medium again soon

Old 02-08-2022, 06:29 AM

6 posts, read 2,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
Yes, on my cell phone after my mom died , and I had signs after she passed but I want to say hello via a medium again soon
Hi, can you give more info? What did the caller ID show or did you hear something? Thanks.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:49 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
To bring this thread up to speed, at least 3 or 4 times a day I get these calls about my vehicles warranty has expired, and I should contact the caller by pressing #1 on my phone.

I keep blocking these numbers, but every day the calls continue.
Makes me wonder where these calls are coming from.

Old 02-10-2022, 05:40 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
To bring this thread up to speed, at least 3 or 4 times a day I get these calls about my vehicles warranty has expired, and I should contact the caller by pressing #1 on my phone.

These calls are coming straight from the fiery pits of hell..

Do not answer.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:01 AM

2,451 posts, read 1,680,959 times
Quote:

Makes me wonder where these calls are coming from
The same but emails. I bought an awesome piece of artwork from the artist off Etsy. Now no matter how many times I block the BLEEPING email advertisements from Etsy I still get more the next day. After the first piece of art I got the artists contact info and cut Etsy out of the loop.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:15 PM

58 posts, read 31,971 times
Mykelti Williamson played Benjamin Buford "Bubba" Blue in Forrest Gump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoUouvjzt20

Old 02-19-2022, 07:01 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Someplace yes. Wherever the car warranty calls originate from.

Old 02-19-2022, 09:12 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times
Quote:

I get those too. I wouldn't worry about it. Probably some scam behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal