Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 11:22 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Someone (including your own family members) could have been crank calling and there was a mistake as to whether there were no calls made to that number.
This.

To paraphrase lex parsimoniae, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions is most often the correct one. Scaring teenage girls known to be home alone?

My goodness, who would have thought of THAT??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:46 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
yes twice both before i saw something i did not want to see and since then i always tense up when a phone rings no matter where i am

Old 08-18-2013, 04:10 PM

163 posts, read 502,504 times
I have...twice.

My mom died a few years ago. Keep in mind that what was most important to my mom when she was alive was me getting along with my siblings. I had told my mom that when she died, I would never speak to my siblings (to list the reasons would take too long but suffice it to say they're both very toxic).

A few months after my mom died, my iphone made a noise as if someone had left a voice mail. I grabbed the phone which was locked (as all iphones lock themselves when they are sitting stagnant) and it automatically started dialing a number. I didn't know whose number that was. I only recognized the area code which was Florida, where my sister lived. I had deleted my sister's number from my cell phone soon after my mom died. The voice mail picked up on the other end. It was my sister.

A few months later the same thing happened. Only this day was the day before Mothers Day. This time I spoke to my sister and told her what happened. My sister and I started talking as a result of that.

A few months later my nephew (sister's son) committed suicide. My sister, as can be expected, was devastated.

I often wonder if my mom knew what was going to happen with my nephew and wanted me to be there for my sister (which I was....I flew to her city for the funeral) and made my phone call her. I didn't call my sister. My iphone just started dialing her. Incidentally, both times this happened, my sister's number turned up in the call history with a + sign in front of it. + signs only show up on my iphone when calling international. Also, my sister's number shortly turned up in my "favorites" on my iphone.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:49 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,011 times
Well, something weird just happened to my daughter and I last night. It's not a big deal, but it did freak out my daughter a little and I did think of this thread.

I was out taking a short walk after dinner and my daughter called my cell phone to ask a question. I had stopped to talk to a neighbor and didn't hear the phone. I looked at my cell phone a minute later and saw that she had called. So I called back, it rang, rang, and then went to her voicemail. No biggie...I thought okay, I'll wait for her to call me back.

About 2 minutes later, I crossed the street back towards my street where my home is. My cell phone rang again, it was my daughter. When I answered, the first thing she said was, "Okay mom, can you hear me now?" I answered, "I don't know what you mean sweetie, I can hear you just fine."

She said, "Well you called me like 2 seconds ago, I kept saying hello, and you couldn't hear me and I just kept hearing a weird 'sighing' noise."

I answered, "I called you back about 2 minutes ago, your phone rang and rang and then it went to voicemail. I didn't call you 2 seconds ago, I was waiting for you to call me back."

She goes, "Well that's really weird, your phone just called me and I kept saying hello, you didn't reply, and just kept sighing. It was really creepy."

I told her I don't know what happened, but by then I was walking up the front driveway and told her I'd be right in.

The weird part is once I got inside, she checked her phone log and there was no record of my phone calling her a moment ago, just the call from earlier. I then checked my phone, and my phone log also didn't show a call to her phone besides the earlier one. Yet she insists my phone called her.

Who knows what it was...but I couldn't help but think of this thread.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:53 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Any other telephone phenomena stories?

I spoke to one of my college friends, who was at the off campus bar with me the night a "spirit" impersonating me called my mothers. (the story is up-thread)

Her father died about a month ago. She does not live near home. Since returning from his memorial, she has been getting calls at 4:18 AM. They are one and a half rings. When she picks up the phone, no one is there. No one saw the death certificate and the time of death but her.
The half ring seems like what ever it is doesn't have enough energy to make the connection.

My question for anyone is - why would her dad want to frighten her? Or, does he not realize how frightening it is? OR - could it be something else?

Old 05-11-2019, 09:52 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My question for anyone is - why would her dad want to frighten her? Or, does he not realize how frightening it is? OR - could it be something else?
He doesn't realize that he would frighten her with his call because he still doesn't realize he is dead. He feels himself alive, because his consciousness (spirit) still lives with earth habits, experiences, memories, attachments and affections. Usually, after 40 days of death, a spirit rises to another level (sphere) of supermundane world where its consciousness starts to lose its connections with mundane world.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:39 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
I realize this is not the religious forum, but in relation to spirits making contact, Ive always thought it was kind of eerie and strange, in the bible, God warns people against making contact or communicating with the dead (despite the reasons for that), I cannot understand how or why that is even possible in the first place!!

If it is possible (it would have been God that MADE IT POSSIBLE)...but then he issues a warning to people to NOT attempt it...?

Old 05-12-2019, 02:43 AM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
I think I told this story before ... Several months before my Dad passed, he told us that his phone rang one day. He picked it up and it was my aunt (mother's sister) calling. The thing is my aunt had passed a couple of years prior. My aunt told him that my late mother wanted to talk to him. He then heard my mother and aunt having an argument. From the way he described it, it was like my aunt was pushing my mother to talk to him but she didn't want to talk. My father said that during their argument, he kept saying "hello?...hello?" Then the phone call ended.

Some years back, well after my mother had passed, one day I was talking out loud to her. At that time, our family (meaning my brothers and me) were going through various crises. I said to her "help your family" more than once. Then our landline phone started doing strange things in the evening. For example, my husband had gone to bed. I had to go into the bedroom to get something. Then I noticed that the phone in our bedroom was lit up. That is what would happen if someone was on one of the other phones. I remember that it freaked me out and wondered if someone had gotten into the basement and picked up the phone there. Nervously I picked up the phone only to hear a dial tone. Another night, the phone in the room we used as a study started making rapid clicking sounds.

At the time, I had an intuitive friend. She said she thought it was my grandfather who was doing it and that he didn't mean to scare me.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
A relative of mine received a call from her late husband about a year after he passed away. This was back in the early 1980's when we all had landlines and she described it like getting a call from Europe where they sound muted in a thick athmosphere with some static thrown in. He told her he was still with her and she wasn't alone, that he loved her, and everything would be alright for her and their children - that she shouldn't worry. And just like that she didn't hear his voice anymore and she hung up.

I wonder how many people received one of these calls and just hung up thinking it was a prank or wrong number.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:38 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,346 times
Quote:
Any other telephone phenomena stories?
Years ago (at least 20) when we were still on 1AESS (US Worst) the phone would sometimes ring and when I'd answer I'd get plopped into the middle of somebody else's (completely random) call. It had to do with how three-way calling was implemented on that switch. Your voice path wouldn't be connected so you could yell and scream at them as much as you wanted but they wouldn't hear you, but you could certainly sit there and listen. Then you'd get the same thing only it would hold your line up and you would not get your dial tone back until they hung up. Apparently these were not uncommon phenomena especially if your CO used a certain type of AT$T multiplexing channel bank like mine did, since they were frequently known to go bad. This started happening quite a lot near the end of the 1A era when they decided to not put any more time and money into maintaining their failing 1970s-vintage equipment since they were cutting over to 5ESS and digital local trunks and concentrators in the early 2000s, and basically disappeared after that point.

Quote:
like getting a call from Europe where they sound muted in a thick athmosphere with some static thrown in.
It's called "attenuation" and "carrier noise" --- analog phenomena that are now largely relics of the past since fiber T/E digital carrier systems replaced the various analog carrier systems pretty much everywhere in the developed world by the start of the 2000s. FYI, it's not difficult to simulate that effect on the fly with creative usage of just about any $30 laptop and a cheap phone patch (inter box). Carrier noise can be downloaded (cough cough evan-doorbell.com cough cough) sampled and looped to provide the white-noise and any crosstalk effect. Not hard to do at all.

As a fone phreak I would have immediately hung up and dismissed it as an obvious prank by somebody with a REALLY sick sense of humor or way too much free time.

Quote:
+ signs only show up on my iphone when calling international.
"+" is a widely-recognised (I think it was even standardised in an ITU recommendation) symbol for "insert your country's overseas calling prefix here". So for example if a British guy gave you his business card that lists his phone number as +44 (0)2345 123-456 and you're calling from the US, that "+" indicates you need to dial 011 before the rest of the number and leave out the "0" in parentheses. That's all it means. Some GSM cell phones have a "+" key that takes care of it automatically so you'd just key in the number as it's given, plus sign and all.

Last edited by Ttark; 05-12-2019 at 02:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal