U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 PM

5,785 posts, read 4,501,379 times

Advertisements

I've known three people over the years who had experiences that might be classified as close encounters ... all three happened late at night, in sparsely populated rural areas:

A close relative in the early 1970s was driving back from work in rural Iowa about 3:00am and saw something in a field by the road. His first thought was that it was an airliner that had crashed landed. He said he got out of his car and watched it for a while; it was sort of a large saucer shape that seemed to be hovering above the corn stubble, with what looked to be lighted windows on the side. It wasn't doing anything so he got back in his car and drove home. He didn't describe this as a close encounter with aliens, he simply didn't know what it was. Skeptical interpretation: he saw some architectural structure or some combination of structures that superficially resembled a UFO with windows in the dark.

A girlfriend of mine was driving home with her ex husband late at night in rural Virginia in the mid 1970s and they saw a light around their car. The next thing they knew they were 30-40 miles down the road, a half hour or more had elapsed, and they had no memory of driving there. Again, this person was just telling me about a puzzling experience, there was no claim of interaction with anything alien or occult. Skeptical interpretation: the two of them read the clock wrong, and had a brief instance of highway hypnosis that was the cause of the missing time ... they happened to see aircraft lights around the same time and linked the two event in their mind.

A friend in North Carolina was somewhere in the Carolina countryside in the mid 1980s and had an experience with lights and missing time (don't recall any more of her story; I don't think her story was that detailed, and it wasn't particularly convincing to me). After that, electrical stuff acted weird around her. We were leaving a favorite bar one night and as we walked to her car, the lights started flashing in an odd fashion, and when she got in her car wouldn't start at first. Now, that might have been an electrical problem with her car, but she claimed it happened all the time. When Communion was published in 1987, she read it and immediately started a correspondence with Whitley Streiber. I haven't seen or spoken to her in 25 years, so I have no idea where her communications with him went. Skeptical interpretation: I suspect there was the experience of something very ordinary in her case that she magnified and misinterpreted as something unusual, but I don't remember enough about her story to verify this.

Whatever these odd experiences are about, I think the Barney and Betty Hill story has colored our cultural imaginations so we tend to interpret these events as encounters with aliens so it's difficult to see them as anything else. Their story is also the origin of the grey alien motif (I believe people started seeing greys after The Interrupted Journey was published). So if you haven't read it yet, I'd also recommend Interrupted Journey by John G. Fuller.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,704,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Are you writer? There are many clips on youtube and talk shows that talk about this.

One of them was on Coast to Coast AM :

The Coast to Coast AM : Nick Redfern : Men in Black Phenomenon. That should be enough ideas if you are writing you own book.

Coast to Coast AM : Nick Redfern : Men in Black Phenomenon - YouTube

There are other videos and clips on youtube on this subject.
Thanks! I used to listen to that show years ago and they had some very interesting stories and callers!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 PM

4,754 posts, read 4,704,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Not if the abductions are in country or a remote areas . If it in the city or suburb there is going to be many people seeing the UFO.

There is no way you can not be seen in the city or suburb.No advance race would do abductions in the city or suburb , just asking to be seen.
True. I was planning to move to South Dakota a few years ago (fell through, unfortunately) and in my research I came across stories that people on the reservations there and other very rural reservations saw unexplained lights and objects very frequently. Because they are so far away from "civilization" and there isn't a lot of technology (cell phone and cable towers and the like) they are visited frequently, easily observed (no city light interference) and they don't bother to call in or report these sightings.

Kind of cool if you ask me

Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,225,059 times
Gulf Breeze Sightings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal