U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 01:47 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,409,655 times

Advertisements

It's easy to figure that experiences happening during altered states (such as dreams, sleep paralysis, drugs, induced trances, meditation ect) are completely in the experiencer's head and not paranormal at all.

But is that really true?

As I've thought about consciousness more and more, and messed around with lucid dreams I've come to realize that normal conscious thought is only a tiny part of what is really going on in our brains and is also extremely "loud", taking over and drowning out everything else.

So essentially being in a normal conscious state is akin to being at a very loud rock concert in a forest at night; you may be surrounded by all sorts of life and sights but you can only hear the blaring music and see the guys on the guitars and the flashing lights because the concert is overwhelming everything else.

Is it possible that "turning down the volume" on the conscious portion of the mind actually makes it easier to catch glimpses of a larger reality that is normally blocked by the conscious mind?

Whatdayathink?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 PM

4,522 posts, read 4,013,281 times
I always like to think that the brain is the 3D filter and that the mind is the receiver of the frequencies from wherever. Yes, I am sure there is a lot going on out there but if we dont have the specific circuitry to filter the frequencies, then we will not be able to consciously become aware of whatever is being broadcast to us.

When we are out-of-body, maybe we dont need the brain as a filter for the time we are out and we have another filter organ which can filter more of the stuff we receive.

My work with dowsing leads me to think that there are far more frequencies and more different types of enegry than science knows about at the moment.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 AM

745 posts, read 973,660 times
All "paranormal activity" is 100% in the mind, and 100% of cases of supposed "paranormal activity" can be attributed to one of the following, or a combination thereof:

a) substance abuse
b) mental illness
c) someone simply starving for attention

Class dismissed.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 9,254,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
All "paranormal activity" is 100% in the mind, and 100% of cases of supposed "paranormal activity" can be attributed to one of the following, or a combination thereof:

a) substance abuse
b) mental illness

Class dismissed.
So you think Lucid Dreaming is attributed to either a b or c?

Old 07-15-2013, 03:34 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,732,661 times
Quote:

a) substance abuse
b) mental illness

Class dismissed.
*raises hand*

I lived in a house with a ghost as a teen. I was a happy, independent, liked being alone (in other words, not wanting attention). No mental illness, not using any 'substances'.
When we first moved in, I felt the ghost in my room and he was very close.
Never told anyone about it until later. Saw the ghost once sitting on the couch. I did a double take, walked around, looked at things from different view points. He was there. Stored some stuff in a locked room in the garage, door would be found open often. Dad would get on my case about it saying I forgot to close the door.

Mom saw the ghost on the couch same as me several months later as I watched her do the same check that I did. I asked her what she was doing, she said she saw someone on the couch.
Mom does not use substances, has no mental illness and has no reason to act out for attention. Now, she did work long and crazy hours, so dillusion could possibly be an issue.

Dad, not a substance user, is a person who is totally content reading the encyclopedia and the only mental problem he has ever had was his inability to spell the word 'cherries' when in the 5th grade.
His main encounters with the ghost was the door in the garage where I kept my stuff.
Both mom and I were gone for a week. He was off to work, had to shut the door, came home that same day and the door was open.
He never got on me about the door ever again after that.
If he was 'starved for attention' I would have still been scolded for leaving the door open every time he found it that way.

So what exactly is wrong with all three of us?
Because the A,B, & C from above does not apply.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,409,655 times
Quote:

a) substance abuse
b) mental illness

Class dismissed.
Some people live in smaller boxes than others... that's OK for them, it makes their lives simpler. "Ignorance is bliss, after all".

Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 PM

3,588 posts, read 8,460,478 times
The OP posts and interesting theory - reminds me of the Queen of the Damned movie vampire movie where only the vampires can see the other vampires in the rock concert crowd and the mortals don't see anything.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 AM

29,126 posts, read 28,155,662 times
Quote:

a) substance abuse
b) mental illness

Class dismissed.
Too funny! Breakfast will be served at 7sharp followed by a white glove inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal